2012 and up ram 1500 passenger side intermediate shafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aside from the regear option, is the older dif any stronger?

Re-gear is the #1 reason, 2nd reason is the Gen 3 Output shafts are only a couple buck a piece and change out in seconds unlike the POS gen 4 front diffs that cost 500$ every time...lol...

Not sure if its any stronger, but knowing how Mopar like to use the cheapest parts know to men, it probbaly is.

Jmicrogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tagged you in my build thread. Video of this kit/rebuild is what I tagged you in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
New to this forum. I’m having this issue but can’t seem to find the installation video. Help

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

Jmicrogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m not sure if any mentioned this. Mine has a pulsing hums at low speeds that goes away, or is drowned out, with speed. The sound goes away when I put it in 4wd. Is that the case with anyone else’s?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I’m not sure if any mentioned this. Mine has a pulsing hums at low speeds that goes away, or is drowned out, with speed. The sound goes away when I put it in 4wd. Is that the case with anyone else’s?
Have you checked your wheel bearings? When I replaced mine recently I noticed I had much less "noise" coming from my front end. There was no play in them, so I have to assume the sealed bearings had begun drying out and became noisy slowly over time.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked your wheel bearings? When I replaced mine recently I noticed I had much less "noise" coming from my front end. There was no play in them, so I have to assume the sealed bearings had begun drying out and became noisy slowly over time.
I had the exact same thing happen with my wheel bearings, no play but getting noisy. I replaced them with Timkin units and all is quiet now.

I pulled the seal off the old ones and the grease was there, but really dried up and more like a paste...

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I had the exact same thing happen with my wheel bearings, no play but getting noisy. I replaced them with Timkin units and all is quiet now.

I pulled the seal off the old ones and the grease was there, but really dried up and more like a paste...
Yea mine was like a burnt toothpaste and rust colored. I believe I did timkens as well, truck is nice and quiet like new since! I chock it up to North East winters.

Jmicrogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Replaced both wheel bearings and rotor and pads.
Still have the same pulsing hum. That goes away in 4wd.

Jmicrogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m going to order the parts.
Probably do this thing next week. Any pointers? Did y’all use a press for the seals and bearing or is there another way?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Watch the you tube video about 3 times. I froze the new shaft for 24hrs and heated the bearing in the oven. This allowed me to avoid needing a press. Seals were all in perfect shape for me. I just cleaned them and wiped them with oil lightly prior to reassembly to help avoid any nicks.

Jmicrogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m wanting to make sure I’m on the right track. I have a pulsing hum sound at low speed like between 10 miles an hour to 25 miles an hour. The noise is not as noticeable at higher speeds and it totally goes away when four-wheel-drive is engaged. Is this what y’all have experienced?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I’m wanting to make sure I’m on the right track. I have a pulsing hum sound at low speed like between 10 miles an hour to 25 miles an hour. The noise is not as noticeable at higher speeds and it totally goes away when four-wheel-drive is engaged. Is this what y’all have experienced?
This sounds like a wheel bearing/front hub assembly is going bad. With the front tire off the ground spin the tire slowly by hand and see how the hubs feel. Check for play vertically and laterally as best as you can. Mine were tight, so no play, but using my hands to spin the tire I could feel the hubs seemed gritty and had very little resistance to them. My new hubs felt tight and much smoother.

Could possibly be the cv shafts and its hard to diagnose without being in person, but I like to start simple and work towards complex.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
What are the symptoms on this issue? I have what seems like a gritty feel to the front end, and with the front end jacked up so there's no weight on the wheels I get a bit of a squeak when rotating the wheels but only on the passenger side.

and then I see the post right above mine. I have no lateral play on either front corner. wheel bearing seem like the more logical choice but I also don't want to spend $$ on stuff that isn't broken.

Last edited:

Paranoia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I am a rather long time lurker. Signed up because of this thread.

What started out as taking care of something before it got out of hand, turned into a complete front end refresh.
I have 220,000ish miles on my 2014 RAM 1500. I have no regrets about any of the work that I have already put in to my truck.
I had some extremely loose CV axles, and I was completely under the impression that I was going to have to replace my passenger intermediary axle. However after examining it I'm wondering if I should, and I'm hoping that maybe you guys can weigh in on it. Keep in mind I am still 100% prepared to replace it and I already have the replacement part and if I don't replace it. I'm just going to set it aside and hold on to it just in case I do later on down the road. Or if one of my friends with a ram need it.

Here is a quick link of what my axle did before. And what it looks like after I've disassembled it.

Passenger side CV axle.

Splines after taking it apart.

To keep or replace that is the question.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys,

I am a rather long time lurker. Signed up because of this thread.

What started out as taking care of something before it got out of hand, turned into a complete front end refresh.
I have 220,000ish miles on my 2014 RAM 1500. I have no regrets about any of the work that I have already put in to my truck.
I had some extremely loose CV axles, and I was completely under the impression that I was going to have to replace my passenger intermediary axle. However after examining it I'm wondering if I should, and I'm hoping that maybe you guys can weigh in on it. Keep in mind I am still 100% prepared to replace it and I already have the replacement part and if I don't replace it. I'm just going to set it aside and hold on to it just in case I do later on down the road. Or if one of my friends with a ram need it.

Here is a quick link of what my axle did before. And what it looks like after I've disassembled it.

Passenger side CV axle.

Splines after taking it apart.

To keep or replace that is the question.
From the video those splines don't look too bad. What do the inside splines of the axle look like?

You could always try a new cv axle just to see how the fitment is...

Paranoia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the video those splines don't look too bad. What do the inside splines of the axle look like?

You could always try a new cv axle just to see how the fitment is...
Here are the pictures of the splines inside the old CV.
Also picture of the clips the old clip the clip that I'm going to use to replace it. And the clip that comes on the new intermediary axle.
I dry fit the new CV axle onto the old axle splines without the clip in there and it feels rather secure same amount of play is probably the other side.

New on old splines

Attachments

• 20220217_172253.jpg
    20220217_172253.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220217_172309.jpg
    20220217_172309.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220217_172423.jpg
    20220217_172423.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220217_172453.jpg
    20220217_172453.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 12

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are the pictures of the splines inside the old CV.
Also picture of the clips the old clip the clip that I'm going to use to replace it. And the clip that comes on the new intermediary axle.
I dry fit the new CV axle onto the old axle splines without the clip in there and it feels rather secure same amount of play is probably the other side.

New on old splines
Looks like the new one is much tighter, I think you lucked out. Did you put any grease on the splines?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank