2012 CV intermediate stub shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duenne88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 RAM 1500 4x4 and i need to replace my passenger side front CV stub shaft. I have everything removed but i cant get it to pull free from the diff. I have tried everything i can think of without actually removing the diff cover. The side of the shaft thats inside the diff is only held in by a C-clip right?

If i cant get it out soon is it safe to put everything back together and drive it without the CV axle?

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I’m assuming you’re trying to remove the CV axle? They have a habit of seizing to the stub shaft. Usually a big hammer will seperate it. Other times you end up needing to replace both the stub shaft and CV axle.

OP
OP
D

Duenne88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No the CV axle came right off.. I need to replace my stub shaft.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You have the seal removed right?

OP
OP
D

Duenne88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No the seal is inside on the stub shaft right? The problem is that i cant get the stub shaft out. Now im wondering if it is able to come out on a 2012.

troy rowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just posted a thread on this-what did you end up doing?Chrysler does not sell the intermediate shaft here in Canada

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can buy the drivers side on Rock auto for a 14 any way. If I remember correctly the later intermediate shaft pulled out like the CV shaft but I want to say I read where the earlier front diffs like 12 on back had to pull the cover off. I can't remember if it is a C clip like many other rears use to hold the axles in but I think it was . 13-19 are a different front diff.

EDIT I just checked rock auto and they show the intermediate shaft for 12-18 so I assume it snaps out also

Last edited: