2012 Hemi starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozark Big Horn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I acquired a 2012 Big Horn with a Hemi this spring and I love this truck but.... about a month ago I noticed that on occasion it would not start on the first turn of the key. I could hear a click but not start. It would only happen every couple of days so I took it to our local Dodge service and they replaced the WIN (?) module. Of course I only drove about 1/2 mile after repair til I stopped in a store and when I came out the same thing happened. I rescheduled for service and they then replaced the starter. I made it about a mile after replacing the starter when it happened again. The dealer never saw it fail but I videod the problem with my phone and sent them a copy. It now is to a point that at least once a day I will have to try multiple (up to 5) times of turning the key before it starts. My dealer is an hour away so each time I take it there I have to drop it off and pick it up the next morning. I trust the dealer but I think they are just shot-gunning the problem now. I can not afford the time or expense to continue taking it down to them just to hope that the problem has been resolved. I'm not a mechanic but is there a relay that could possibly not making good contact each time it's energized? I don't want this to turn into a "just live with it" problem and eventually get stranded somewhere when it completely fails.

Last edited:

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked all your grounds? When you say it “clicks” a few times, you mean no crank at all and just clicks then cranks? Ever stall out on you while driving, stop light, turning slowly? Any codes?

Edit:
Forgot to ask, have you checked the battery if it’s still original? 2012, could just be time for a new battery.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its the ground wire coming off the battery terminal.
Cut it back and inch or so and replace the battery collar.
The problem gets worse with heat. This took me about 6 months to discover.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can determine if it is a battery or ignition/ground/electrical issue by bypassing tipm. Install a push switch under dash and use a cig lighter relay to start starter. I'll find you a dyi on it. If you bypass and it still does it, then it is battery issue cable/charge.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the hard click no start and repeats then starts is the battery ground wire, put money on it. if you take the collar off i bet you find lots of green on the wires.