2012 piston slap/ low knock noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2012 5.7 ram that has 32,000 miles on it. About 10,000 miles ago did develop this low end knock while it was warming up with seemed to go away once it was warm. I tried to rounds of BND 7.5 W 23 oil which made the noise less noticeable but did not get rid of it. A few days ago I change the oil with redline 5W 30 with the K&N oil filter. I’m going to run this oil for a couple thousand miles and see what happens I have heard redline can quiet noises overtime. Any additional suggestions on how to get rid of this noise? Thank you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You have done all you can lubrication wise, give it time and update us. It took over 500 miles for redline to kill my tick, it takes time heat and pressure for moly to plate.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
If it goes away the more it warms up check your header bolts. It sounded like someone was knocking on the side of my truck while it was cold and that's what it was. Now I have shorty headers and all is well

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you ran bND oil, then you obviously talked to Brian and I am sure you discussed your worry and noise so I’m sure they upped the moly on the oil. That being said I don’t know if redline is going to cure your issue, I would look more at it Exhaust manifold bolts or possibly something with a lifter hanging up.

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The lifters have been replaced, this is a hollow low end knock sounds like someone tapping a couple 2x4’s together. If redline doesn’t fix the problem should I plan on replacing the engine? I took this truck to the dealer at least 5 times two different ones while under warranty and they claimed they could not hear the noise or that that sound was normal. I lost it on a couple of Service managers.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 for the header bolts. If you have to replace them because they snapped might as well go shorties. Im still debating it.

Another way to tell... mpg drops with an exhaust leak.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Video of engine bay and noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’m trying, having trouble uploading it to YouTube.

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here’s the video of my 2012 Ram 5.7 knock.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here’s the video of my 2012 Ram 5.7 knock.
Thanks for sharing.

Seems to be a common complaint .....
Same thing that’s starting to happen on mine ....how many miles on it? I wonder if there any correlation on when the engine becomes “broken in”

Did u bring it to dealer ??? What did they say?

How long has it been doing that ??

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update to my video.... knock seems to go away upon warm up

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It’s been going on about 1.5 years. Started at about 23000 miles it has 32000 on it now. It’s been to the dealer at least 5 times. Two different dealers told me this sound was normal. The last time I threw such a fit I think they almost called the cops on me. Very frustrating, I said if this is normal go get another one on the lot new or used that makes this noise and I’ll go away they wouldn’t do it. This was while it was still under warranty. I started a case with Chrysler customer care all they would say was the dealer says there was no problem. I told the service manager “when doing the right thing is against company policy it’s time to find a new job!” Looks to me like they tell people that this noise is normal when truck is under warranty but you take it in with the same noise out of warranty and it now needs a new engine. Wasn’t it this kind of crap that drove them to bankruptcy the first time. Sorry about the long post just needed to vent a little.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actual rod knocks and\or main bearing knocks get louder as the engine warms up due to the oil thinning out as it heats up. This is why going to a thicker viscosity oil back in the day quieted knocking engines down to a point.

This particular noise goes away when the engine gets warmer and it hasn't gotten any louder in the 32k my truck has been making this noise.

I also doubt this is a wrist pin. A wrist pin is more of a sharp knock\tick that is much more pronounced than this noise. Just ask the 6.4 guys that got the defective wrist pins...

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just dropped in to my dealer ..... showed him video ....I trust the head mechanic ... he said he def wants to listen to it and it’s something he’d mivht concerned over and wants to hear it on a cold start. Service manager met me outside and was more than eager to help and knows how I maintain my truck and don’t beat on it . Gonna drop it off for them to look at Monday

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just dropped in to my dealer ..... showed him video ....I trust the head mechanic ... he said he def wants to listen to it and it’s something he’d mivht concerned over and wants to hear it on a cold start. Service manager met me outside and was more than eager to help and knows how I maintain my truck and don’t beat on it . Gonna drop it off for them to look at Monday

That sounds promising! Let us know what they say here and on the syn thread

mattstertx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s the Hemi tick most end up doing it after a time of heating the header bolts and then they cool down quickly after killing the engine mine did it until I put longtubes on and found a broken header bolt. If you replace them do not go with oem bolts buy upgraded ones that won’t break.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s the Hemi tick most end up doing it after a time of heating the header bolts and then they cool down quickly after killing the engine mine did it until I put longtubes on and found a broken header bolt. If you replace them do not go with oem bolts buy upgraded ones that won’t break.

I honestly don't think its the "hemi tick "

But that's an infamous term almost like one of the 7 wonders of the world ! Lol I've replaced my bolts when doing the long tubes. All are good with Stage 8 locking bolts. But we will see hopefully have some answers next week. Def will update thread

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2005 made that same noise. Always ran Mobile One and never had an issue. The noise sure did **** me off though.

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Other than this noise I love this truck. When I got fed up with the dealers and Chrysler I test drove a lot of other brands and could not find anything I liked better. The thing runs, rides and performs great the knock is just annoying. I just changed oil with redline 5w30 with a K&N oil filter. I’ll see if it has any affect on the noise.