2012 piston slap/ low knock noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thats DEFINITELY an exhaust leak. i know that sound well.

You had this same exact noise??? And u fixed the leak and noise went away? Broken bolt ? Loose bolts? Mine is at dealer now for exact noise that just started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
You had this same exact noise??? And u fixed the leak and noise went away? Broken bolt ? Loose bolts? Mine is at dealer now for exact noise that just started.

yes it was the manifolds leaking. I had shorty headers installed and its now gone completely. The shop said the bolts had come loose causing the leak.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes it was the manifolds leaking. I had shorty headers installed and its now gone completely. The shop said the bolts had come loose causing the leak.
Awesome I'll call them tomorrow and ask them to test for that

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
thats DEFINITELY an exhaust leak. i know that sound well.
Thanks for the input, I’ll take to the dealer and have them check it out. All of the broken manifold bolt videos I’ve seen was more of a tick than a knock that’s why I thought this was a wrist pin or piston slap. Thanks..

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input, I’ll take to the dealer and have them check it out. All of the broken manifold bolt videos I’ve seen was more of a tick than a knock that’s why I thought this was a wrist pin or piston slap. Thanks..
I was thinking along the same lines as you but not gonna roll it out

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any ideas on what it would cost to have manifold bolts replaced on a truck that’s out of warranty?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My shop will b looking at these tomorrow to see what they think the noise is and if the header bolts are tight ... do u know if the stock torque specs apply for aftermarket as I have arh. Longtubes ?

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
My shop will b looking at these tomorrow to see what they think the noise is and if the header bolts are tight ... do u know if the stock torque specs apply for aftermarket as I have arh. Longtubes ?

yes I would use the stock torque specs. Go in and re-torque after 500 miles or so as well to make sure this doesn't happen again.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: dealer looked at truck. Came to conclusion noise was caused by loosened header bolts causing manifold leak. Due to longtubes being installed I’m sure I’ll be paying for the labor but good news if in fact it solves the problem.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lifters have been replaced, this is a hollow low end knock sounds like someone tapping a couple 2x4’s together. If redline doesn’t fix the problem should I plan on replacing the engine? I took this truck to the dealer at least 5 times two different ones while under warranty and they claimed they could not hear the noise or that that sound was normal. I lost it on a couple of Service managers.
Dealer states today it’s a manifold leak and are tightening header bolts.

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dealer states today it’s a manifold leak and are tightening header bolts.

If that turns out to be my problem I would be ecstatic. Let me know what they charge you, just curious what I’m in for. Thanks..

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that turns out to be my problem I would be ecstatic. Let me know what they charge you, just curious what I’m in for. Thanks..
Literally just got off phone with dealer ship technician...

He said every single header bolt was loose... even lost a couple clips from (stage 8 locking header bolt kit) tech retorqued all bolts to 19ft lb (stock is 18ft lb)

Said that was the issue. Won’t be able to pick up truck until later this week but only two hours of labor.

Rdeath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar v6
Watch it carefully got a 2013 new and at 70000 put 2 pistons in it for pistón skirts bending and flopping in cylinder dodge replaced 6 to be on safe side! truck was always full syn and never gave an ounce of problems until then

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Watch it carefully got a 2013 new and at 70000 put 2 pistons in it for pistón skirts bending and flopping in cylinder dodge replaced 6 to be on safe side! truck was always full syn and never gave an ounce of problems until then
Just curious did it make the same knocking noise that my truck made in the video I posted earlier in this thread? Thanks..

mattstertx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious did it make the same knocking noise that my truck made in the video I posted earlier in this thread? Thanks..

Pyrimad yours is definitely an exhaust leak or like mine the fuel injectors engaging. If it’s not an exhaust leak it’s just the injectors tomorrow I find out if the noise goes away after putting in 39 ib injectors for my procharger install.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Following please update . The knocking is more likely manifold leaks as for ticking I hear a lot from injectors . Def interested to hear outcome

mattstertx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Following please update . The knocking is more likely manifold leaks as for ticking I hear a lot from injectors . Def interested to hear outcome

I will keep ya updated hopefully I have the time tomorrow to fully install my procharger can’t wait for this thing to be boosted

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my truck back..... stated all header bolts had loosened and even lost some of the retaining clips (stage 8 locking bolts)

Dealer tightened all bolts charged me 2hrs of labor and totaled 350$. Went out to listen to truck upon start up.... still has same noise ..

Tech states he hears a definite difference in noise ... less ticking but the knocking or “marbly” noise on start up was still there .... he went on to explain how Normal piston slap was likely the culprit and normal ... all new trucks have a coating of Teflon on the pistons quieting the piston slap . .... as this wears it becomes noticeable ... as engine warms up the space that allows for the piston slap is taken up by the expansion of the piston? It was a brief explanation but he seemed to not be concerned ... maybe because the dealer got $350 of my money lol but he said he wouldn’t want to even think about tearing my engine down to search further for the fact that he thinks it’s benign and heard it on many other trucks .... it goes away after warm up, but noted concern in notes for warranty documentation.

Hopefully it’s all good

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got my truck back..... stated all header bolts had loosened and even lost some of the retaining clips (stage 8 locking bolts)

Dealer tightened all bolts charged me 2hrs of labor and totaled 350$. Went out to listen to truck upon start up.... still has same noise ..

Tech states he hears a definite difference in noise ... less ticking but the knocking or “marbly” noise on start up was still there .... he went on to explain how Normal piston slap was likely the culprit and normal ... all new trucks have a coating of Teflon on the pistons quieting the piston slap . .... as this wears it becomes noticeable ... as engine warms up the space that allows for the piston slap is taken up by the expansion of the piston? It was a brief explanation but he seemed to not be concerned ... maybe because the dealer got $350 of my money lol but he said he wouldn’t want to even think about tearing my engine down to search further for the fact that he thinks it’s benign and heard it on many other trucks .... it goes away after warm up, but noted concern in notes for warranty documentation.

Hopefully it’s all good

How many miles does your truck have? What oil have you been running?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles does your truck have? What oil have you been running?
17500 miles ... first change was mobile 1 5w20

Then had dealer change it when it was in for recall.

Then I just started redline 5w30 about 500 miles since that change.