2012 piston slap/ low knock noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
17500 miles ... first change was mobile 1 5w20

Then had dealer change it when it was in for recall.

Then I just started redline 5w30 about 500 miles since that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you think redline has made any difference in the noise at all? I’m going to have the dealer look at mine but I anticipate hearing the same news. I’ve had this truck since August of 2011 but rarely drive it so by the time this noise started my warranty only had 2 months left. I don’t think they should’ve charged you anything to take the manifold bolts if your truck was still under warranty. If your noise persist or gets worse I would stay on the dealer until they did something I’ve read on other forums of a few guys getting their engines replaced for the same problem. I don’t care how many times they say it I don’t think $45-$60,000 truck should sound like it’s wore out.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think redline has made any difference in the noise at all? I’m going to have the dealer look at mine but I anticipate hearing the same news. I’ve had this truck since August of 2011 but rarely drive it so by the time this noise started my warranty only had 2 months left. I don’t think they should’ve charged you anything to take the manifold bolts if your truck was still under warranty. If your noise persist or gets worse I would stay on the dealer until they did something I’ve read on other forums of a few guys getting their engines replaced for the same problem. I don’t care how many times they say it I don’t think $45-$60,000 truck should sound like it’s wore out.
I agree.... howveee I paid only because I had longtube headers on it which was directly related to the supposed problem ...... but I didn’t have that noise prior to my redline change ... not saying it’s the cause , it could be coincidence ..... I’ll have a problem getting wRranty work done having headers on as they require a tune :-(

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took truck out today again.... very faint noise as you demonstrated in your video .... went away after warmup but I can def tell header bolts were tightened . ... much less “ticking” in and around the engine bay.

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here’s how my Ram sounds warmed up. The knocking almost completely goes away.

DeltaFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same issue with my 2012 Outdoorsman. Broken exhaust bolts twice and the third time it was the Cam/Lifter issue. Had the cam and lifters replaced under warranty, thank goodness! This happened at about 69,000 miles. Just traded it off for a 2018 as I didn't trust that it wouldn't happen again. Giving RAM one more chance.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same issue with my 2012 Outdoorsman. Broken exhaust bolts twice and the third time it was the Cam/Lifter issue. Had the cam and lifters replaced under warranty, thank goodness! This happened at about 69,000 miles. Just traded it off for a 2018 as I didn't trust that it wouldn't happen again. Giving RAM one more chance.
Ugh hope it doesn’t get to that point for me .

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here’s how my Ram sounds warmed up. The knocking almost completely goes away.
I guess you could say that about exactly how mine sounds now ..... how’d you say you got it to go away? Tightening manifold/header. bolts?

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I guess you could say that about exactly how mine sounds now ..... how’d you say you got it to go away? Tightening manifold/header. bolts?

I haven’t tightened the header bolts yet. Just wanted to give a cold vs warm sound comparison. I had to have my lifters replaced also but that was a much different noise. Sounded like a metallic tap, my current warm up noise is a hollow knock that quiets to almost nothing when completely warm. I’m going to make an appointment to have dealer look at it tomorrow.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven’t tightened the header bolts yet. Just wanted to give a cold vs warm sound comparison. I had to have my lifters replaced also but that was a much different noise. Sounded like a metallic tap, my current warm up noise is a hollow knock that quiets to almost nothing when completely warm. I’m going to make an appointment to have dealer look at it tomorrow.
Sorry I misread your post. Your warmed up video is what mine sounds like cold ... as of right now it goes away entirely after up to operating temps . Mine def has loose header bolts with attributed to the some of the “ticking” I had but the knocking is def lessened too since the tightening . I wonder if you’ll get the same “piston slap” explanation.... not that I don’t believe it but mayb it’s in fact what our issue is.

Please keep me posted! And good luck!

mattstertx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ugh hope it doesn’t get to that point for me .

Might as well drop a custom cam in it from Jay Greene like I’ll be doing soon! Eliminate all the problems.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had a performance shop near me I’d b all over it! Know if any. ??? Upstate ny . Near Albany.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes it was the manifolds leaking. I had shorty headers installed and its now gone completely. The shop said the bolts had come loose causing the leak.

Dealer tightened my header bolts from my long tubes .... I still have noise ... video was taken today. Header bolts were tightened last week. Any thoughts.

mattstertx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had a performance shop near me I’d b all over it! Know if any. ??? Upstate ny . Near Albany.

No I don’t luckily for me I live an hour away from Jays shop so when I get the money I’ll just have them do the install

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I don’t luckily for me I live an hour away from Jays shop so when I get the money I’ll just have them do the install

Jealous .... I’m seriously contemplating trading in this truck .... that knock even tho mild is eating at me

mattstertx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jealous .... I’m seriously contemplating trading in this truck .... that knock even tho mild is eating at me

The knock is honestly a common issue on these rams have you gotten the manifold bolts checked? I guarantee one is probably snapped causing a leak.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have long tube headers on it... had the dealer retorque them last week . “The hollow knock” is still there .... u guys really think the hollow knock is exhaust leak? Just sounds internal to me . Did u see me video for
Today ?

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have long tube headers on it... had the dealer retorque them last week . “The hollow knock” is still there .... u guys really think the hollow knock is exhaust leak? Just sounds internal to me . Did u see me video for
Today ?

I know how you feel, and what makes it worse is no one I’ve had look at mine seems to difinitivly know exactly what it is. I hear exactly what you’re talking about the sound of 2 -2x4’s clicking together lightly. I’m going to have mine checked for exhaust leaks but I don’t believe that’s what is causing this noise. And from what I’ve seen and tried it’s looking unlikely any oil is going to fix it either.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know how you feel, and what makes it worse is no one I’ve had look at mine seems to difinitivly know exactly what it is. I hear exactly what you’re talking about the sound of 2 -2x4’s clicking together lightly. I’m going to have mine checked for exhaust leaks but I don’t believe that’s what is causing this noise. And from what I’ve seen and tried it’s looking unlikely any oil is going to fix it either.

Agreed ... I don’t think exhaust leak is the culprit but by all means if u find out otherwise def message me ! I don’t want to miss that Info! Maybe I have a warped gasket that even with tightening the header bolts it’s still leaking ...

but I’m literally looking at shops for trade .... I’m too neurotic to have a hemi with all these noises .... can’t live with it lol I need a smooth running motor not a ticking time bomb .... just wish I didn’t dump all my money into mods lol I’m gonna lose my ass but I need some sanity back

OP
OP
P

pyramid2455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wonder if All these dealers think this noise is normal when you go to trade your truck in? Something tells me they’ll be singing a different song then.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if All these dealers think this noise is normal when you go to trade your truck in? Something tells me they’ll be singing a different song then.

Exactly ..... I’ll just make sure it’s warmed up when I go in thrrr for trade ... and I probably won’t be gettin a hemi :-(