2013-2018 RA2/VP2-NA Radio Notes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was able to get in touch and get a vin# from the person I bought the radio from on this forum. I went to Uconnect and yes it had a update for my radio. I downloaded it and will go install it at dealership in the morning. Hopefully this will solve there camera install issue,

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to get in touch and get a vin# from the person I bought the radio from on this forum. I went to Uconnect and yes it had a update for my radio. I downloaded it and will go install it at dealership in the morning. Hopefully this will solve there camera install issue,

Do you know what version it downloaded?

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well an update. was able to get vin# to radio and got download to install. radio updated and no change. Dealer ended up pulling another radio out of another truck and go through and activate camera and it worked. They then took out the radio and put mine back in and went through the activation process and it worked. I know have a back up camera.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well an update. was able to get vin# to radio and got download to install. radio updated and no change. Dealer ended up pulling another radio out of another truck and go through and activate camera and it worked. They then took out the radio and put mine back in and went through the activation process and it worked. I know have a back up camera.
Wow. That is above and beyond for most dealerships. Glad you got it working.

You should post positive info about the dealership (name, etc) since there's so little good feedback usually.

M² Mods.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
God i’m happy i ditched my RA2.

Sent from my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How can I find the code for my RA2 radio please? 2016 Ram 1500.

If you are looking for the security code, you will need to go to the parts dept of your dealer with the vin # of the truck, the s/n of the radio and proof that you own it. They are required by their franchise agreement with FCA to provide it to you at no cost. Now, that said, many dealers are idiots or assholes and will refuse or fight with you over it. If this happens, either try another dealer or demand to speak to the owner and tell him/her that you will file a formal complaint with FCA, the state attorney general's office and the local press if they do not honor FCA's policy. I got my radio code and key codes with no issues, but I did have to do the above over the service dept's refusal to fix (for free) an issue that had been deliberately hidden on a CPO truck purchased less than 30 days before. A copy of the FCA code policy I referenced is attached, print a copy and take it with you in case you need it. It's technically the policy for key codes, but it's been used to cover radio codes before.

-K

Attachments

• Key_Code_Policy_en_US.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 9

mdkush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hoping someone here can help even this is an old post. Ive purchased multiple RA2's for my 2013 Ram Express. After testing a couple I sold them, but they all appeared to download my trucks BCM setting/options rather quickly. Unfortunately the radio I kept for myself worked great for a day or two then the audio would cut out. I'd have to do a CANBUS reset and it would work again for a bit then the audio quit permanently.

I just recently purchased another RA2 from a 2015 Ram (68228668AD) and everything seems to work with this one EXCEPT its not downloading my trucks BCM options. The radio still thinks I have factory heated seats (which is a left over option showing from the old truck) AND it is not recognizing that the backup camera IS turned on in my BCM settings. Ive tried a CANBUS & a hard reset of the radio using ALFAOBD with no progress.

When checking "error codes" in the radio with ALFAOBD it says the radio has not been configured to the vehicle settings, but every other radio and every post I've seen online say this should happen automatically (albeit it may take a couple of days - which I am well passed). Is there anyway to force the radio to download the truck BCM settings?

Anyone have any other ideas?

mdkush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hoping someone here can help even this is an old post. Ive purchased multiple RA2's for my 2013 Ram Express. After testing a couple I sold them, but they all appeared to download my trucks BCM setting/options rather quickly. Unfortunately the radio I kept for myself worked great for a day or two then the audio would cut out. I'd have to do a CANBUS reset and it would work again for a bit then the audio quit permanently.

I just recently purchased another RA2 from a 2015 Ram (68228668AD) and everything seems to work with this one EXCEPT its not downloading my trucks BCM options. The radio still thinks I have factory heated seats (which is a left over option showing from the old truck) AND it is not recognizing that the backup camera IS turned on in my BCM settings. Ive tried a CANBUS & a hard reset of the radio using ALFAOBD with no progress.

When checking "error codes" in the radio with ALFAOBD it says the radio has not been configured to the vehicle settings, but every other radio and every post I've seen online say this should happen automatically (albeit it may take a couple of days - which I am well passed). Is there anyway to force the radio to download the truck BCM settings?

Anyone have any other ideas?

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've seen problems trying to use different year Ra2 radios than the model year of the truck they're going in, especially with the 13-15 trucks. (I had problems with every 2016 Ra3/RA4 radio I tried in my 13 ram Ra2 upgrade. Every other year/model 8.4 worked fine)

If you plan to stick with the Ra2, my suggestion would be to look for a 2013 Ra2 with the correct pn listed above, and this is important, that actually came out of a 4 door ram truck with the same speaker system... Vs a promaster, or another chrysler brand.

Another option would be to check the cabin eq curve settings with AlfaOBD. And make sure it matches your cab/speaker config. Maybe change it from a 4dr Crew to 4dr quad just to force the radio to check (pull the 20a inline radio fuse near the firewall to force a radio reset).

Or you could consider the 8.4 RA3 or RA4 upgrade.

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

jmccart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004-sold
Engine
Hello Mpfrimm2. Kind of new here. I have a question and I hope it is not too lame.

I am looking between two ram 1500's. One (further away) has 3.92's/LSD-awesome. The other has an open/3.55. Both 2019's Classics, around 10k miles.

The 3.92/LSD one has a 3.0 w/o phone/bluetooth. The 3.55 one has a 3.0 with phone/bluetooth.

I will want a 5.0 w/phone & non-corded bluetooth so I can play tunes from my phone.

Can a 5.0/RA2 be made to play tunes via bluetooth from my phone? And, how much easier/more expensive is it to make a non-bluetooth 3.0 a 5.0, RA2, than a bluetooth 3.0?

I see on the website, there is something called a "C+HFM programmer" thing might be needed for a non-bluetooth 3.0-5.0 conversion (https://www.infotainment.com/products/uconnect-hands-free-kit-high?variant=321431811)

Thank you.

Disclaimer-I know Jack-Squat on this weird a** crap.

mike19950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The one that already has the bt 3.0 should be a direct swap since it already has the mics and steering wheel buttons. The other one you will have to add the mic and steering wheel buttons. I did the reg 3.0 to 5.0 swap and it was super easy.

Hello Mpfrimm2. Kind of new here. I have a question and I hope it is not too lame.

I am looking between two ram 1500's. One (further away) has 3.92's/LSD-awesome. The other has an open/3.55. Both 2019's Classics, around 10k miles.

The 3.92/LSD one has a 3.0 w/o phone/bluetooth. The 3.55 one has a 3.0 with phone/bluetooth.

I will want a 5.0 w/phone & non-corded bluetooth so I can play tunes from my phone.

Can a 5.0/RA2 be made to play tunes via bluetooth from my phone? And, how much easier/more expensive is it to make a non-bluetooth 3.0 a 5.0, RA2, than a bluetooth 3.0?

I see on the website, there is something called a "C+HFM programmer" thing might be needed for a non-bluetooth 3.0-5.0 conversion (https://www.infotainment.com/products/uconnect-hands-free-kit-high?variant=321431811)

Thank you.

jmccart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004-sold
Engine
Hello Mike19950. Is the regular one the one w/o Bluetooth? I am glad to hear it was very easy.
Thank you.

I forgot to ask. Did you have to buy that "C+HFM Programmer" thing?

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Thank you.

The one that already has the bt 3.0 should be a direct swap since it already has the mics and steering wheel buttons. The other one you will have to add the mic and steering wheel buttons. I did the reg 3.0 to 5.0 swap and it was super easy.
Correct...
And for the non BT unit,

It's much cheaper/better on a 17+ to just add the oem mics in the headliner, add the mic wiring. I've got a thread/harness for this... (You can also easily add the steering wheel VR/Phone buttons to your existing wheel and move up to the 8.4 upgrade).

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/di...rhead-mic-and-compass-harness-install.166396/

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

mike19950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I went from no bt 3.0 to a 5.0. I had to add the wiring harness and rear view mirror with mics in it. I also added the steering wheel buttons. I didn't need any programmer it was all plug and play.

Hello Mike19950. Is the regular one the one w/o Bluetooth? I am glad to hear it was very easy.
Thank you.

I forgot to ask. Did you have to buy that "C+HFM Programmer" thing?

jmccart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004-sold
Engine
Great! Thanks for getting back guys. Mike19950, I am glad to hear that it was all plug/play for the swap, that is what I wanted to hear.

Mpgrimm2, glad you aded a post too, I am going to read the thread now.

Thank you.