2013 8-spd .... tranny leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
REF: 2013 RAM, SLT, Crew Cab 6-cly, 8-spd auto, 4x4, w/4000-mi

Gotta a service aptt on the 22nd, to check for what appears to be a tranny fluid leak. Gotta a 16" spot of fluid on the drive way :025:

Any one else with this model having this problem????

Last edited:

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its probably just a bad seal between the tranny pan. Mine started slowly leaking a few months after I got my truck so the dealer dropped the tranny pan and applied a new gasket/sealant and its been fine ever since.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
No issues, but mine has 150 miles on it. :)

The pan is plastic on the A8.

redneckstylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Tons of issues but all mine due to electrical...I wish I had a mechanical issue so they could see it and fix it

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
willee51

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
REF: 2013 RAM, SLT, Crew Cab 6-cly, 8-spd auto, 4x4, w/4000-mi

Gotta a service aptt on the 22nd, to check for what appears to be a tranny fluid leak. Gotta a 16" spot of fluid on the drive way :025:

Any one else with this model having this problem????

-------------
Took it into the Dealer today, 45-min later I was leaving in a "loaner vehicle"!

All they could tell me was that they had to talk to Chrysler Engineering, before moving forward :mfr_omg:
--------------------

Side note: I had a 2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU that broke down on the road twice on me (at less that 1200-mi) and a 3rd time on the dealer as they were test driving after the 2nd repair! I sold the thing, as I had no confidence in it.

Now this with my 2013 Chrysler product at 4000-mi. What the hell :death:

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, sounds like you've had some bad luck with your chrysler vehicles. bummer. hope all works out well for you

OP
OP
willee51

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
$46/qt ........................

OK, got my RAM back out of the shop (4000K-mi on her)!

1. It was the gasket on the bottom access panel to the tranny (8-spd)
2. Had to wait a day as the Dealership did not have the gasket in stock
3. The bottom plate is NOT plastic, but rather "Carbon-fiber"
4. The bottom plate and tranny fluid filter are one piece
5. The 8-spd holds 8-qt of a SPECIAL "mineral-oil" costing $46/qt
6. The tranny fluid is "lifetime" UNLESS you do a lot of towing, then Dodge suggest the fluid be changed at about 80K-miles

Thankfully, this was covered under warranty :think:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
It may have carbon IN it, but it's definitely got plastic in it. It's finned and there's no carbon design like "carbon fiber" would give you.

Glad to hear it was an easy fix!

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
The pan is Forged Carbon Fiber; a somewhat new process in that you can make virtually any shape with better properties.

OP
OP
willee51

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Damn. leaking after repair.......

Got an appt tomorrow at 8:00am for my transmission that is still leaking after repair! Only 4000K miles on the 8-spd.

The 1st repair, Chrysler Engineering directed that the bottom plate (carbon fiber) gasket be replaced. Now that its still leaking, the dealer mechanic feels that maybe the carbon fiber plate may be warped?

Will see what Engineering says during a conference with the dealership tomorrow.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
-------------
Took it into the Dealer today, 45-min later I was leaving in a "loaner vehicle"!

All they could tell me was that they had to talk to Chrysler Engineering, before moving forward :mfr_omg:
--------------------

Side note: I had a 2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU that broke down on the road twice on me (at less that 1200-mi) and a 3rd time on the dealer as they were test driving after the 2nd repair! I sold the thing, as I had no confidence in it.

Now this with my 2013 Chrysler product at 4000-mi. What the hell :death:

That's a shame, my last 3 trucks were a Dakota, Ram, and another Ram. Only problem I ever had was with the Dakota.

OP
OP
willee51

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
The saga continues.......

Took the truck back to the dealer today and yes they agree that after Tuesday's repair, the transmission is leaking again.

They cannot attempt a 2nd repair till they have a Telecom with Chrysler Engineering and I got the idea, this is not an isolated problem with the new 8-spd :Grenade:

I asked what may have to be done if this next repair doesn't solve the problem. and they said "possibly" a transmission replacement, to which I said "BS", I would then want a new truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been 4-hrs and still no call from the Dealer as to what the next steps are!

Chrysler Customer Care did call and issue me a Case Number :puke:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I'm guessing this will be your last Chrysler product??

Sorry to see you have to go through this BS.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Strange, this transmission is new to the Ram, but its not a new transmission by any means. It been in many other cars before the ram, even some very high performance cars.

Hope it all works out.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rock - I have suspected this. Do you know what other vehicles it has been in? Just curious. It's not like they built it new for the trucks. I don't think anyway.

Willie - it would seem that with it leaking that much mineral oil (tranny fluid) that you would be able to lay under it running and watch it leak out, no?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Rock - I have suspected this. Do you know what other vehicles it has been in? Just curious. It's not like they built it new for the trucks. I don't think anyway.

Willie - it would seem that with it leaking that much mineral oil (tranny fluid) that you would be able to lay under it running and watch it leak out, no?

The design of this transmission is used in BMW's, Jags, and Rolls Royce's.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would venture to say that the tranny pan is completely different from other applications due to more need in cooling from towing.

OP
OP
willee51

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6

The Dealer has no problem seeing the location of the leak, they just cannot explain why replacing the gasket did not work! They are now questioning the flatness of the forged carbon fiber pan?????

They were going to talk with Chrysler Engineering and call me back today with the decisions reached, BUT, No call??

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The design of this transmission is used in BMW's, Jags, and Rolls Royce's.

Yep, the ZF-8 speed. Is the A8 in the ram built by ZF or did they buy the rights to produce a version over here? If so that could be part of the problem until they get things ironed out.