2013 Ram 1500 - Warranty Paint & Expressway Dodge, Evansville Indiana Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 CC, 12k miles (bought new March 2014 back in VA) that I am having similar paint issues to others and the dealership where I moved to recently (Expressway Dodge in Evansville, IN). I also put my wife in a leased 2015 Dodge Dart SXT right before I moved (April 2015) so that I didn't have to worry about her vehicle until I can move the rest of my family here.

To some this may seem trivial, but to me the truck is barely a year old and under warranty. I very much, like my truck and other than the following, it is the best vehicle I have owned in 20+ years. Since I hand wash and wax the truck, and it's white, it is easy to catch these kinds of issues.

8/5/15
Dropped it off for oil change/rotation and to fix the following:

- Right Front Door: surface paint bubble at the bottom starting (corrosion underneath. About a dime size.
3ce86707ecb67b9b07a04cc2edf966b1.jpg

- Left Rear Qtr: Had debris/contaminate/grit spec under paint and paint was starting to wear through.
6554589524a4ae03329f3bec8e2450a8.jpg

Dealership/Chrysler covered it under warranty no problem (simple enough), but dealership doesn't have their own body shop (really?) and sends em out to one of 3 local shops ...

8/14/15
Came back a week ago with different paint issues and refused the truck. Didn't get a chance to get pictures before it was moved to the local paint shop.

- Right Front Door: Not sure if the paint shop tried to buff it down/touch up the bubble or what was done, but I could see some of the primer base/metal where the original issue was (thin paint?). Also had a very distinct primer base/metal edge along the bottom of edge of the door panel (probably at the tape line) that was likely going to rust quickly with the rain running down at the bottom edge.

- Left Rear Qtr: Paint shop took care of the original issue. However, there was a very distinct tape line/edge along the entire top bed rail that someone tried to hide under the bed rail cap that was not blended in at all. I noticed it right away because it was sticking out about an inch from under the bed rail cap. Also had visible paint mist/spatter on the lower front 1/2 of the panel that appeared to be where the shop was blending over to the original paint. This area was smooth/apparently under the clear coat. Leading vertical edge of the qtr panel at the cab had the same issue where the surface was rough and paint wasn't wrapped around it.

They sent it back to the paint shop to redo it.

8/24/15
Notified that the truck was "ready and looks great".

- Right Front Door: looks like it should have the 1st time. Good.

- Left Rear Qtr: Paint shop took care of the last round of issues and repainted the entire quarter panel, but...
now there is a spot at the rear taillight with debris/grit underneath it (similar to when I started this process) and also about 8-10 separate bits of debris/grit under the paint on the Gas Door Cover
b38a2a9a7ea5562574281b57113f6b34.jpg

8870bd564f5c6705eb903409a04e315c.jpg
(Can't really tell from the picture)

While pointing this out to the service advisor (young guy) and reading his body language, it appeared to me he wasn't comfortable with being in the situation a second time, so I asked to see the Service Manager.

This is where it gets interesting. On the way out to look at the truck, the Service Manager asks me if I bought the truck from them (no, I moved here) and basically defends the local 3rd party paint shop, fair enough. He indicates that he knows the owner at the paint shop and that they do good work.

I point out the above paint issues to the Service Manager and that the debris/contaminates under the paint will cause the same premature corrosion issues again. The paint shop should be able to prep the paint surface properly, remove the contaminates and keep it clean for painting in a paint booth. Right away he says ...

- I'm tired of dealing with it
- There is no perfect paint.
- All the [new] vehicles on this lot have paint issues.
- The paint shop took care of my personal vehicle and I can guarantee you won't have any issues with that paint.

That set the tone for what I can expect from this Service Manager, which seemed after 3 and half weeks in a small rental car to be 'get em in and get em out'. His verbal guarantee wasn't worth much without it on paper. He offered no suggestions or apologies for any of the paint issues and was dismissive the entire time.

Since the majority of the current paint issues with the Qtr Panel were on the Gas Door, I suggested that they remove and repaint the Gas Door. The Service Manager agreed and removed the Door.

Later, before I left with the truck, sans gas door, I suggested that they remove one from a truck on the lot which he agreed to since "There was a new airbag recall today and they couldn't sell any of them anyway". It turned out that there were extra bolts in the Gas Door that prevented it being removed easily (Paint shop left them out of mine) and said they would have me come back the next day to have it installed once they had a tech remove it from the new truck on the lot.
Paid for my oil change/rotation and went to work.

8/25/15
- Dropped the truck off for the Gas Door install and walked to the nearby restaurant for lunch. Picked the truck back up an hour later and went on my way.

Currently
I will add that at no time during the course of dealing with Expressway Dodge was I impatient, rude, loud, obnoxious, or inappropriate in any way. Perhaps it would have helped, I don't know. The Service Advisors were friendly and courteous overall. I am primarily upset with my experience with the Service Manager.

Still have a small potential paint issue with the truck (debris under paint at the taillight) that I have little confidence will last as long as if should have from the factory.

Since all the new vehicles from Expressway Dodge have paint issues, my wife and I are debating if we will keep the 2015 Dart when the lease expires in 20 months or move back to another brand if this is the service we can expect.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Does not surprise me. The dealership get like half rate for warranty work and you are on the bottom of list for when comes to them giving a crap because they made no money off you from the sale to begin with.

In a perfect world, they should treat you equally well but it is not a perfect world.

Your pics are very low light or shadowy and hard to see the defects you mentioned.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Agreed. Yep, the pictures don't quite show everything and could be better.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually that dealership is pretty good with service. I know a couple people there and my girlfriend bought her wrangler from them.
On a side note, it's cool to see another evansville person on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Usually that dealership is pretty good with service. I know a couple people there and my girlfriend bought her wrangler from them.
On a side note, it's cool to see another evansville person on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. I'm not sure what was up. It was just a paint issue that needed corrected. Hopefully it was a fluke, idk. Doesn't help that there isn't any real competition in the immediate area. @ 40 miles to ether Henderson or Owensboro.

So what are you driving? Figured there might be someone in the area with all the Ram's in the area.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It appears you have a good time line of events, keep good records of every conversation. I battled with a certified Chrysler paint shop for 4 months until the dealership and Chrysler refused to standby their body shops crappy work. Ended up getting a lawyer and filling a warranty dispute suit. 1
year later and a whole lot of aggravation I won the suit. I corrected the paint defects to the best of my ability then traded it back into the dealership that screwed it up in the first place.
It took 18 months in total to finally be happy with my New truck.