2013 ram 2500 has diesel in def tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I have a 2013 2500 with 16,000 miles on it and have had trouble with check engine light coming on and at first the dealership told me it was bad def, then they pulled the tank and said they found diesel fuel in the def tank. I am the only driver and have only put def in this truck twice, it was full when I bought it. They are telling me it is $2600 to replace the tank and all the components, my question is , is there any way for diesel to get into the def tank other than someone pouring it in? Or do i have something else going on. This truck has been a problem ever since I bought it. Thanks

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Only possible way is for someone to put it in there. The diesel fuel and DEF are there own completely sealed systems.

You're lucky it's not the other way around, having DEF in the fuel tank. Had a customer do that and it wasn't a cheap fix.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you fill the DEF tank when you did it? Was it at a truck stop or jugs you bought at a car parts store?

I've heard of instances where regular gas was accidentally mixed with diesel fuel at stations. Not sure if they could have gotten some fuel in there with DEF.