2013 ram 5.7 backfiring, and throwinf 25 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gratedtoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2013 ram 1500 with the 5.7, engine had bad lifter,cam and 1 bad piston and knocked but still ran. It had engine codes for the electronic throttle, trailer brakes, low battery voltage and multiple missfire. So I put in a reman engine, and now the truck no longer knocks. But It still has a miss fire, backfiring out of intake, dash says service electronic throttle, trailer brakes and low battery voltage. Along with 25 engine codes for every sensor on the truck. The truck also drains the battery after sitting for about 48 hours. I've gone over the engine wiring harness and also cleaned every ground on the truck I could find. I can not figure out what is going on with this truck. Please help!!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Get yourself a proper scan tool, such as

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_TJ23HSAV5GADHFKPKGP7

Once you learn how to use it & read your codes, just start making your repairs, one at a time

One thing that you will like about this setup, you can make adjustments to you vehicle, that you would usually have to go to the dealership to have done at a hefty fee

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is most likely going to be something stupid missed ground/connecttion bad sensor ect Like mentioned above use a decent scanner clear all codes and see what comes back your run of the mill autozone/cheap one wont do it.

OP
OP
G

Gratedtoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put multiple batteries in it along with a jump box on it. Im using my HP tuners as a scanner. I didn't have much time to mess with it today. I was thinking possibly a bad crank sensor?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Recheck all your electric connections and grounds . Maybe a pin went sideways on a plug somewhere.

OP
OP
G

Gratedtoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally got it running correctly. The intake was cracked in half and the alternator was frozen up. I replaced the intake with a Amazon special and kept unplugging and plugging the alternator in, it would wine and shut off until it finally kicked in and worked properly.