2013 V6 3.6l normal temp gauge reading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rizzkid12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram1500 4x4 Warlock QuadCab 3.92 5.7l V8
Engine
5.7l V8 Hemi
I have a 2013 Ram reg cab 4x4 with the 3.6l and 8 speed tranny. Love the truck but have a question. The coolant temp guage reads higher than most cars/trucks I have ever owned. It sits around the half mark during slower driving and goes between half and 3/4 during highway driving (above 50mph). I think it is due to the grill shutters closing at highway speeds, but not exactly sure. The user manual is a bit vague, but implies that the temp guage is normal/ok unless it reads in the Hot/high zone. Mine is not close to this zone and does not throw a temp overheat warning light, but I am still curious if others see the same temp as me.

Anyone else with this engine.

BTW I average 21 mpg mixed driving and the truck is faster than my 98 ram 1500 with he 5.9l 360 v8

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
EVIC should show you what the actual coolant temp and oil temp are. What do you see there?

OP
OP
R

rizzkid12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram1500 4x4 Warlock QuadCab 3.92 5.7l V8
Engine
5.7l V8 Hemi
212 to 228 degrees for coolant temp. Today was in the 80's while driving home

redneckstylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Appparently.....theres a tsb for this issue when I went in for my grill shutter issue they told me there is a flash they are waiting for....

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

WilCon76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. I don't have the grill shutters on my truck and the coolant temp is always a little below half and the oil temp is a little above. 2013 Hemi.

fishin4ladyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Same issue with mine. Has me concerned also. My old 4.7 never read more than 204 or so even towing. I see 226 with my new truck before the temp comes down. Not towing or hard driving. Let me know what TSB if you have one done. Thanks much!

fishin4ladyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Any of you guys bring yours in for this issue? How did it go? Going to ask my dealer about it tomorrow.

fishin4ladyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Took mine in today to have my front strut replaced and told the service guy that my truck runs around 220 degrees mostly and have seen 230. He says yeah they like to run hot. Didnt make it seem like a big deal. I told him im afraid that it might get hotter when i start towing with it. He says that they will check out the cooling system next week when i have remote start put in. Hope they fix the issue. My dad has the same engine in his caravan and the temp gauge never moves when warmed up. Looking at posts from jeep forums, seems like most run less than 210 at the highest and 195-200 otherwise.

Widkidone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram
Engine
I have a 2013 Dodge Ram V-6 Quad cab. Mileage is about 8000. The radiator goes up to to 230 degrees and on the temperature gauge the needle goes up to 3/4 of the way. I have taken it to the dealership. They replaced the radiator, radiator fan, the truck cpu, and the thermostat. There is no blockage or anything.

The service manager says that the truck is within its means. They stated that this normal....but i drive other 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 same model and everything the needle never went past the middle.

fishin4ladyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Whats the paperwork state as what the flash is for? Sitting at the dealer for my second bad strut. Would like to ask about it.

fishin4ladyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Thanks man. Got my gauge panel flashed also. Now i dont have to watch my gauge climb to 3/4 anymore.

ClydeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
My wife and I purchased a new RAM 1500 with the Pentastar V6 a couple of months ago. It is also running quite hot. Today, the outside temperature is 77 degrees and climbing a single 1 1/2 mile grade on the way to our home, the coolant and engine oil temp was running 226 degrees, with the transmission at 189 degrees. I start smelling the engine when the temps reach 224 degrees. I will be calling the dealership this afternoon to check on this.

I haven't pulled our Retro trailer yet, as I just had the factory Brake Controller installed this morning. I forgot all about asking the temperature question while I was there.

Question to the members that have had the gauge panel 'flashed'...Do you think the engine still gets as hot as before, only the gauge just reads lower? Are you able to 'smell' a hot smell from the engine when it reaches about 224 degrees?

Thanks,

Clyde R

accelerus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 V6
Engine
V6
is this for the 2013 only?

I've only put maybe 50 miles on my (2014) Ram since delivery, (it had 19K on it when I bought it) but I remember the temp and oil gauge reading higher than the "normal" mark.

ClydeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
is this for the 2013 only?

I've only put maybe 50 miles on my (2014) Ram since delivery, (it had 19K on it when I bought it) but I remember the temp and oil gauge reading higher than the "normal" mark.

accelerus,

I'm new here too, but I think this forum is for any year RAM with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar.

I'm still trying to determine what the 'Normal' temperature readings are for my truck. My dealer requested a "Star Center" report on the minimum and maximum as well as Normal temperature extreme readings for my 'exact' truck as it is equipped. They use the VIN# to determine how your truck was built and equipped from the factory. While I was at the dealership, they did however, update/reprogram the Power train Control Module.

I checked with the dealership this morning and the report hadn't arrived yet, so I am still waiting.

We did tow our 2,000 Retro 150 trailer Sunday afternoon in a 20 something mile loop near our home in the foothills. The outside Temp was 97 degrees and the following temperature readings taken right after pulling a pretty steep 2 mile grade with the Tow/Haul switch on.

Coolant Temperature: 230 degrees

Transmission Temperature: 201 degrees

Engine Oil Temperature: 230 degrees (normal seems to be 212 to 219)

I will post more information as I get it. Hope you are enjoying your RAM as much as we are! :)

Clyde