2013 V6 3.6l normal temp gauge reading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClydeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Engine Block Test and Coolant Flow Test

I had our truck in the dealership for 2 days while the technician followed 'Chrysler's' request to perform an engine block test and some kind of test to see if the cooling system was operating properly.

The technician told me the 'block test' passed - no mixing of fluids - and the cooling system passed the test also. I'm pretty sure that if Chrysler considered the temps we are experiencing to be 'normal', they would have slammed the door on this case, but they haven't! The dealership is now waiting for Chrysler to authorize the next step.

In the mean time, Linda and I are leaving tomorrow morning (Monday) on our camping trip near Big Bear Lake in the San Bernardino mountains. I'll let you know how the trip turned out next week. We won't even have cell coverage where we're going. :fishing1:

Clyde

P.S. Thanks for all the informative comments on this subject.

Bigbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 1500 QC 8sp, 3.21, Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clyde, if you haven't gone yet you and Linda have a great trip. I'll be interested in how the temperature ran while pulling the trailer.

Ken

Bigbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had our truck in the dealership for 2 days while the technician followed 'Chrysler's' request to perform an engine block test and some kind of test to see if the cooling system was operating properly.

The technician told me the 'block test' passed - no mixing of fluids - and the cooling system passed the test also. I'm pretty sure that if Chrysler considered the temps we are experiencing to be 'normal', they would have slammed the door on this case, but they haven't! The dealership is now waiting for Chrysler to authorize the next step.

In the mean time, Linda and I are leaving tomorrow morning (Monday) on our camping trip near Big Bear Lake in the San Bernardino mountains. I'll let you know how the trip turned out next week. We won't even have cell coverage where we're going. :fishing1:

Clyde

P.S. Thanks for all the informative comments on this subject.
Clyde, since we haven't heard back from you after the trip to Big Bear Lake I was wondering if you are broken down somewhere with a smoking engine. Enquiring (nosey) minds want to know.

Ken

ClydeR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Clyde, since we haven't heard back from you after the trip to Big Bear Lake I was wondering if you are broken down somewhere with a smoking engine. Enquiring (nosey) minds want to know.

Ken

I'm sorry Ken, Linda and I had a couple things at home that needed attention upon our return and I sort of forgot to give an update.

Actually, the temperatures didn't get any hotter than we have been seeing all along so far. Thank you for your concern for us! We pulled the trailer in Tow/Hall mode the entire trip and averaged around 15 mpg. We didn't have a moments trouble with the truck or engine. I took the truck back to the dealer to check in with them after returning from our camping trip. The tech plugged in some kind of wireless module and updated something in the dash. I think he said it was to calibrate the gauges. I haven't noticed any difference though. We are just waiting to see what Chrysler Corp wants to do next. They do not want to commit themselves as to what an abnormal temperature really is.

As far as the 'dry camping' experience went, we survived quite nicely with only potable water at the camp site. We took our 120w portable Zamp Solar Panels to keep the trailer battery charged and our propane tank kept the refrigerator cold as well as keeping the trailer warm at night. The temperature got down to about 38 degrees at night, but we were very comfortable. Our 400W inverter even powered our 19" vizio and DVD player for a couple great old TCM movies. We had rain off and on for a day and a half, but with all the pine needles on the ground, there was no mud or mess. We were allowed to dump gray water around the trees to help with the drought here in California. Here are a couple photos you might enjoy. The green tent houses our porta poti. We had a wonderful time:)

8b2b64bb-fdff-44d5-acbf-b3442317a15e_zpsbf1850fc.jpg

IMG_2292-Edit_zpsd62db057.jpg

IMG_2296_zps4240eb01.jpg

If I did this right, photos should appear when I submit reply. All the best to you, my friends,

Clyde and Linda

Bigbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like you had a great time. Sent you a PM.

Brycekob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 with the v6. I am having issues with my running temperate also. It will be fine and then sporadically it just jumps. Sometimes up to 242 and then back down. It's been to the dealership and then said then flashed and updated the computer. It's still doing the same thing. What should I do next?

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
I have a 2013 with the v6. I am having issues with my running temperate also. It will be fine and then sporadically it just jumps. Sometimes up to 242 and then back down. It's been to the dealership and then said then flashed and updated the computer. It's still doing the same thing. What should I do next?
See my posts on the topic. I saw 260. They ended up pulling the heads under warranty. It got ugly. I would change the thermostat on my own first next time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brycekob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I've red the entire thread. What's weird to me I'd that mine just infrequently jumps up and goes back down. Was your a constant temperature change? They want $160 for the thermostat from the factory and I can't find one at my local parts stores. Did you have a factory one installed? It's already been to the dealer for a computer program upgrade. I was also going to get a sensor hoping that was a part of the issue.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
The last thing Chrysler did was change the thermostat before returning my truck after 23 days in the shop. 1 day short of the lemon law. You would have thought they would start with changing the thermostat instead of tearing the heads off and replacing them. But hey what do I know.

My truck ran hot around 220 to 230 in the summer. Still occasionally gets to 225 but just for short periods after I run it hard. It was like yours before they "fixed" it. Quick spikes up to 245 to 260 then back down.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk