2014 5.7HEMI tensioner pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LukasL

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey all I can't find any video or anything anywhere about replacing the tensioner pulley on my 2014 2500 5.7 HEMI, does anyone have a link to a video? Is it fairly simple? The only part I'm seeing on oreillys website is the pulley itself, do I take the whole part off the truck and then just replace the pulley part and put it back on? Any info helps

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you even try? Should be easy, but I haven't done mine.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered this and the idler pulley. Ours are mounted on with 1 bolt, similar to the Gen 3 in this video. This should help:

OP
OP
LukasL

LukasL

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered this and the idler pulley. Ours are mounted on with 1 bolt, similar to the Gen 3 in this video. This should help:
Thank you for the video thats very helpful! I replaced the belt already and im gonna go back and replace the tensioner and idler pulleys, the tensioner pulley was a little loose and almost gritty like sand when I spun it by hand.

BUT

When the belt was off I started the truck and the same squeal was still there. Meaning that its not the belt or pulleys causing the sound. Any ideas what it might be??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does it squeel at idle? Fan clutch?

OP
OP
LukasL

LukasL

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it squeel at idle? Fan clutch?
It sqeals a little bit at idle, I can definitely hear it at idle on a cold start, but after it warms up I can not hear it at idle, and if I'm accelerating at around 1300rpms or less I can't really hear it if its warmed up, I hear it mostly when accelerating above 1400rpms. How would I go about checking the fan clutch?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pop the hood before you start the truck, if it happens at idle I'm sure you should be able to hear where it is coming from. Mechanics stethoscope could help if it isn't easily recognizable.

OP
OP
LukasL

LukasL

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pop the hood before you start the truck, if it happens at idle I'm sure you should be able to hear where it is coming from. Mechanics stethoscope could help if it isn't easily recognizable.
Yea ive done that, its kind of confusing me, at first I thought it was just the belt, then I thought it was the alternator pulley, now I'm not sure if its coming from the top of the engine bay or the bottom. I can't figure out where its. coming from. But the fact that it's happening with no belt on there means it's not the belt or pulleys right?

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if you do the clutch fan delete and go with the EFan :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You need to do a couple things with that, here is a thread on it.

at least

180 t stat
tuner

Then a bunch of stuff I forget. But it is a very popular upgrade. Look at the second post in that thread by tach tech.

OP
OP
LukasL

LukasL

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to do a couple things with that, here is a thread on it.

at least

180 t stat
tuner

Then a bunch of stuff I forget. But it is a very popular upgrade. Look at the second post in that thread by tach tech.
Okay thanks for that link too, ill look into it. Not sure if I wanna do all that right now but possibly in the future. I hope its the fan clutch like you said, I just want to figure out what it is so I can fix it. Tired of chasing it around and not knowing.

Hey Burla random question, how do you get the Military tag under your name??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Join the military roll call thread and ask the Mod, they will hook you up. Thanks for your service if I don't catch ya over there.

As far as the e fan upgrade, well if it is something in need of fixing, I would consider it.

OP
OP
LukasL

LukasL

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Join the military roll call thread and ask the Mod, they will hook you up. Thanks for your service if I don't catch ya over there.

As far as the e fan upgrade, well if it is something in need of fixing, I would consider it.
Awesome thanks for the info, MADDOG helped me out right away! Thank you for your service as well.
Yea thats a good point I will look into it if the fan is the issue for sure.