2014 brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 4x4 Sport regular cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
So , I've got a 2014 Ram 1500 regular cab 4x4 with a 5.7 Hemi and just over 91000 miles. Last night on my way home from work ,my ABS light and traction control lights came on. With the dash messages, check EBS, check trailer braking system, and one other message I don't remember. Any way as fast as the came on ,the shut off! Then a few miles later they came on and stayed on. This morning when I started the truck they were off but less than a mile they came on and stayed on. The brakes fell fine, just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like a battery on the way out, try having it LOAD TESTED . These are common symptoms.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Probably one of your wheel speed sensors is not reading correctly. Scan for codes as it may say which one is giving you grief

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like @crash68 said, given the age and mileage, you probably lost part of the magnetic ring on a wheel speed sensor. Not uncommon for them to corrode and crumble apart. Unfortunately, it's part of the wheel bearing assembly, so if it is that, you have to replace the whole bearing assembly.

Could also be a broken wire or corroded connection on a WSS.

Either way, gotta do some diagnostics to see what's up.

Last edited:

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you ever replaced the brake fluid? Moisture builds up in the system and causes issues.

I just take a turkey baster or tube syringe and suck it out the res and get fresh fluid in there every few years.

Last edited:

Crewcabjim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a similar issue with my Ram, and it turned out that my ABS module was defective. I had the module replaced at a cost of $1200., and have not had any problems since

2018power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2018 powerwagon did simliar things, turns out it was the ABS pump. It was replaced under warranty. The tech who did the work claimed the 1500's had ABS modules go bad and the 2500's seemed to have the ABS pumps go bad.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to put my money on a brake switch. First; they're really light-duty, ..like 8 grams, really light. 2) they commonly fail intermittently (same thing happened to me -- same errors), 3) Start with the simple things.

It's really easy to test. you can either hook up a good scanner and navigate to the inputs, and step on the brake pedal a bunch of times and each time it'll tell you the switch has 'made'. And if you see it not 'make' (the circuit), that's an intermittent. Plus you'll probably get a brake sw code. Or you could remove and hook a multimeter to it and engage a bunch of times and see if there's an error. They're inexpensive and easy to change too, btw.

Should hook up a scanner to the vehicle and watch the inputs (wheel sensors, switches, etc) and the problem should present itself pretty quick. Maybe the Autozone scanner can be used for this. All the above failures guys mentioned could occur too. Start with the SW and go to wheel sensors and then to more sophisticated components.

Let us know what the problem turns out to be. Good luck.