2014 Hemi Ram performance heads and cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
Has anyone done this yet? Looking for recommendations and if you were happy with your choice.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Tuning and reliability has been the limiting factor with heads/cam on the 4th gens. Try reaching out to Modern Muscle in VA. They are building the 392" for our shop trucks, and we will be running their ported 6.4 heads and a bigger custom grind cam.

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
Just a note.. You cannot run 6.4 heads on a stock 5.7
The cylinders have to be notched to clear the valves.

OP
OP
VPRPWRD

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
Tuning and reliability has been the limiting factor with heads/cam on the 4th gens. Try reaching out to Modern Muscle in VA. They are building the 392" for our shop trucks, and we will be running their ported 6.4 heads and a bigger custom grind cam.

Great info! I will get in contact with them. Thanks!

Just a note.. You cannot run 6.4 heads on a stock 5.7
The cylinders have to be notched to clear the valves.

Have you done this? Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks in advance.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I think somebody installed the 6.1 cam with little gains, but could of been all in the tune.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think somebody installed the 6.1 cam with little gains, but could of been all in the tune.
If I remember right I've read about a few people trying 6.1 cams in the 5.7's and none of them gained much at all. However those were all in cars.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
If I remember right I've read about a few people trying 6.1 cams in the 5.7's and none of them gained much at all. However those were all in cars.

I thought somebody did it in a Ram on the other forum. It's been a while since I read the thread.

I think it also has to do with our VVT motors. Which also comes into play with tunning.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
The VVT is the exact reason the tuning is so hard. That's why most people aren't doing any cam swaps in the 4th gens.

As for 6.1 cams in 5.7's in the cars I know a couple guys who have done it and are happy with the results. For having to spend less than $100 on the cam and to get some gains out of it seems to be a nice trade off.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
I will be interested in what you find out when you reach out the to team in VA. Keep us posted!

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does Comp or anyone else make VVT elimination kits?

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had this done at a time when there was very little tuning from diablosport. Even to this day, there is very little access by Diablosport into the VVT PCM. In a nut shell, there are modifiers in the pcm that fight the mods into emissions compliance that we don't have access to. My EGR monitor has never completed to a ready status. New maps and tables(Ve, Fuel, etc) were created, it took Arrington in concert with Diablosport, 2 months to make it happen.

Okay, now that most of the negatives are out of the way. Would I do it again, YES. The only thing I would do different is instead of the VVT 266 comp cam(Everyone at Arringtons said this was the right choice for these trucks), I would try a custom grind.

Truely a different truck from stock, completely changed the power curve. maybe 50hp gain @5600rpm but down @3000-3600, just shy of doubling the base numbers(131hp/181tq to 220hp/318tq). I would only consider 1 of 3 tuners for this job. AJ-Hemituner, Mike from OST, or Josh from HHP.

As a matter of fact, the truck is with AJ right now in Long Island getting tuned with MOES ported intake manifold. I should have fresh base numbers with the cam/head install after a year of letting the truck learn it's new design. We will see how the cam/heads will responded to some more air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VPRPWRD

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
I've had this done at a time when there was very little tuning from diablosport. Even to this day, there is very little access by Diablosport into the VVT PCM. In a nut shell, there are modifiers in the pcm that fight the mods into emissions compliance that we don't have access to. My EGR monitor has never completed to a ready status. New maps and tables(Ve, Fuel, etc) were created, it took Arrington in concert with Diablosport, 2 months to make it happen.

Okay, now that most of the negatives are out of the way. Would I do it again, YES. The only thing I would do different is instead of the VVT 266 comp cam(Everyone at Arringtons said this was the right choice for these trucks), I would try a custom grind.

Truely a different truck from stock, completely changed the power curve. maybe 50hp gain @5600rpm but down @3000-3600, just shy of doubling the base numbers(131hp/181tq to 220hp/318tq). I would only consider 1 of 3 tuners for this job. AJ-Hemituner, Mike from OST, or Josh from HHP.

As a matter of fact, the truck is with AJ right now in Long Island getting tuned with MOES ported intake manifold. I should have fresh base numbers with the cam/head install after a year of letting the truck learn it's new design. We will see how the cam/heads will responded to some more air.

Do you have contact info for AJ? Thanks for the review.

OP
OP
VPRPWRD

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
The owner decided to pull the trigger on the heads and cam and after some research we decided to go with Inertia Motorsports. Just finished installing their ported heads and a custom grind cam.

stock heads removed:

IPHONE%20005_zpsx5elfm0m.jpg

IPHONE%20007_zpsra1qtggy.jpg

Ported heads

IPHONE%20006_zpsbldab8ex.jpg

Stock cam next to the custom cam:

IPHONE%20008_zpshd4hjwrr.jpg

The best part, video of it running with a few revs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPKF2ZykHdM

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The truck sounds mean. I like it.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As for 6.1 cams in 5.7's in the cars I know a couple guys who have done it and are happy with the results. For having to spend less than $100 on the cam and to get some gains out of it seems to be a nice trade off.

That's what I thought man.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you the same VPRPWRD from the SRT-10 Forum? Put a 6 speed in a quadcab?