2014 or 2017. Kinda New to rams.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Shopping because I can make money off my F350 and trade it or sell it for only $3,000 - $4,000 less than I paid for it two years ago.

This is great on the selling end.... not great on the buying end. The used truck market is crazy right now. The posters balking about price should realize the market isn't like it was when you purchsed a few years ago. Covid and a lack of truck production have really caused prices to spike.

I just did some research on my 2014 (2500 Hemi) and it's worth about 10-12K less than I paid for it nearly 7 years and 105K miles ago. That's ridiculsouly low depreciation but then I have to go buy something. This happens all the time when there is a run up in real estate. People are happy about how much their house is worth but, unless you are going to live in a box, it's kind of irrelevant.

Back to OP's situation, getting out of an F350 and into a half-ton probably makes sense. I do agree to hold out for 3.92 gears. This forum is full of guys wishing they had.

Warranty? Tons of opinions and threads out there. To me it isn't just a Ram thing but more of a technology thing. Trucks are A LOT more complicated these days and the warranty crowd would have one with any brand... not just Ram.

Dizzi121

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright pretty much a new ram guy looking at coming to the HEMI family.

I owned an ecodiesel when they were a brand new for three months. That was a disaster mostly because of the dealer in town.

Alright I am looking at three trucks, a 2014 and two 2017s. All have the 6.4 bed, 4x4, and are Laramies.

Just looking for guidance.

the 2014 has 70,000 miles and ill be out the door financing around $23,000
One 2017 has 40,000 miles the other has 20,000. Still working on the dealers but right now Im financing around $33,000 for either.

Truck will be daily driver, towing once or twice a year. Hunting trips out west from Mississippi 2-4 times a year.

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought my 14 used with 30k miles in 2016.

Price then was $30k

Got 55k miles on the od, so I put 25k miles on it.

1 ton 6.4 tradesmen 4x4 with power windows. 6 speed auto. Haven't came across any issues. Just keeping up regular maintenance.

Pretty good prices for Laramie's.
I don't see any issues. I do get more compliments from people when they find out its a 2014 for some reason.

Kenneth Bator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HDMI 5.7
What's with the warranty talk. Should I be staying away from the Rams??

2014 has the 8 speed. Only thing on carfax is it spent some time in Canada, had a no start/hard start problem right before it went up for sale. Looks like it's been for sale since July 20.

Kenneth Bator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HDMI 5.7

I owned an ecodiesel when they were a brand new for three months. That was a disaster mostly because of the dealer in town.

Alright I am looking at three trucks, a 2014 and two 2017s. All have the 6.4 bed, 4x4, and are Laramies.

One 2017 has 40,000 miles the other has 20,000. Still working on the dealers but right now Im financing around $33,000 for either.

Truck will be daily driver, towing once or twice a year. Hunting trips out west from Mississippi 2-4 times a year.
Hi, I have a 2015 1500 Sport with 90,000 kilometres on it. Live in Winnterpeg, Manitoba Canada. No issues with my truck except crappy factory tires and battery. Fantastic performance, ride, great stereo, I love my truck

87D4FDD6-F4FA-42F3-ACDD-70BD90DA42C4.jpeg

TheCouveAbides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been through the EcoDiesel nightmare like you. traded for a 2017 1500 Hemi and never looking back. The only issue that even comes up with these Hemis is the Dreaded "MDS" feature. I got one with really low miles (26,000) then got a Diablo Sport tuner and turned that feature off. With an extended warranty I expect many low trouble miles to come.

BobCinEHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.4
What's with the warranty talk. Should I be staying away from the Rams??

2014 has the 8 speed. Only thing on carfax is it spent some time in Canada, had a no start/hard start problem right before it went up for sale. Looks like it's been for sale since July 20.

I had a Ram / Hemi that had a hard start/no start issue. (bought it new) I had a leaking injector - replaced it myself.

Gary5605

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All, after a year and a half of research and searching for GM and RAM, I bought my first RAM in late Sept / early Oct. Of "19".

It is a "16" 2500 Outdoorsman SLT 4x4 cclb, 5.7, 6spd trans with 4.10 gears. The 4.10 wound up being the key.

Paid $29000 for 29000 miles, all from Ontario, Canada. Oh and just before I bought it, a dealer in canada

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn it. Somehow posted before finishing.

Anyway, the new engine had 2600ish miles on it, used truck dealer did not know. BONUS. Truck as minimum surface rust and is not slathered in undercoat as some Canadian vehicles are.

When it comes to transferring any factory warranty that may be left on the Canadian trucks, it must be registered as a FLEET VEHICLE ( rental ) by the first owner, then and only then will FCA allow warranty transfer.

Why 4.10 gearing drove the search. During my research reading through numerous forum threads, I kept reading about 6 spd trans failures. The only thing they all had in common is running gear ratios in the 3"s ( 3.21 3.98 ) never did see anything about 4.10 gears.

Bullwinkle now has 45000 miles a set of Falken MT 35x12.5 18, 2 inch level and adjustable front track bar and have no issues.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As said, much of its personal preference and choice, there are no wrong answers.

Me personally, no way I'd be spending 35k on a used truck regardless of how its optioned. I'd absolutely go new/lower optioned and know I'm not buying someone else's problem child, especially for that kind of money. Remember, all that fancy crap is more stuff to go wrong...and it eventually will.

Plus new you have full factory warranties in place and most importantly you know how it was treated from day one.

That means a lot to me when I'm spending 40k plus on a pickup truck.

I bought my 17 2500 tradesman new on 12/31/16 and it's been the best truck I've ever had. I love it today as much as I did then. No problems except the drag link debacle which FCA did finally make right for me.

She has about 14,300 miles on it so lots of life left. I hope to have it another 6-10 yrs and then I may buy another new one....unless they are all battery powered crap by then (that's coming I fear)

Just my .02. Good luck with your decision

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah my buddy is doing the same thing. Tradesman model with the options he needs. You can make a cheap truck look pretty bad ass if you want. All the mechanical crap is the same and most of the stuff you get with the higher end trucks is un necessary anyways. Saying that, the heated steering wheel and seats are a must if you live in a colder climate.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The "Express" package was perfect for me. Mine's got most, if not all, of the optional equipment an Express could get and I don't know what an upper end package would have that I care about. If I want leather, it'll be real leather. I don't want what the OEM calls leather...especially from the originator of "Corinthian leather"....

The only thing I'd like different from an aesthetic standpoint is I like the sport hood.

Functionally, the only thing I'd like different is better headlights. New bulbs and adjusting the driver's side up a bit helped out tremendously there, but they still are like candle lanterns compared to the headlights on my Camaro.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yes, exactly. There are no right or wrongs here. Personally, I think my 17 tradesman with the snow chief package looks awesome. I don't believe the upper trim levels look any better, in fact, my truck has a simple clean look that I wouldn't want any other way.

She sits up there high, wide and handsome (hahaha)

I love the iconic cross hairs grille and wouldn't want any other. The chrome bumpers, grille, and wheels look classy with the S/S wheel to wheel side steps.

I've gotten lots of compliments about it over the years. I do keep it spotlessly clean so that helps.

To me, the 4th gen "big rig" styling is the best, tracing its roots back to the 1994 Dodge Ram that was a game changer in so many ways and was copied by the others.

Its instantly recognizable and looks tough. Something the 5th gens and the others don't have.

Just again, my opinion.