2014 Ram 1500 - (2) Key Fob's won't start engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Kiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
2014 Ram 1500 - (2) Key Fob's won't start engine.

This problem started with intermit no starts with (1) of the key fobs until it wouldn't start at all. Then the other key fob started doing the same thing. Both key fobs will lock and unlock truck (all buttons work) but no start. When I try the remote start I get a reading that the remote start has been disabled. It seems very odd that both key fobs started having "no start" issues at the same time.

I replaced battery in both key fobs and still nothing. I took the battery cables off of battery and touched them together to "reset" the system, still nothing. I tried manually unlocking truck, putting key fob into ignition, turning it to accessories and then pushing the "unlock" button. Nothing. I'm wondering if the problem is in the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) that senses when the ignition key is near? That may explain why both key fobs started having "no start" issues at the same time. I can replace the WIN module but I'm assuming it will need to be programmed to the vehicle and to the keys.

Thoughts and suggestions?

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I've had the display "remote start has been disabled" on my '17. I have not tried to figure out what caused that, but it could be that the key fob got jostled around in my pocket and who knows what button(s) got pressed. Anyway, get in the truck and start it. That's what resets the remote start in my '17.

Dan Young

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was this the WIN Module?

i just bought my 2016 a couple days ago, and today something similar happened. I put the fob in and had no power to start. also couldnt remove the fob. 5 minutes in to fighting this, it finally released the fob and let me start it up.

I will take it to the dealer tomorrow, but i want to make sure I know what kind of hell to raise if they are not willing to help.

I bought this truck 2 days ago!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Was this the WIN Module?

i just bought my 2016 a couple days ago, and today something similar happened. I put the fob in and had no power to start. also couldnt remove the fob. 5 minutes in to fighting this, it finally released the fob and let me start it up.

I will take it to the dealer tomorrow, but i want to make sure I know what kind of hell to raise if they are not willing to help.

I bought this truck 2 days ago!

Hello Dan Young,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If we can be of any assistance, send us a privately message. We'd be glad to help.
Laura
RamCares

GrayBeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew cab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,
Has anyone gotten an answer on this yet? My 2014 1500 Laramie has similiar problems. Key fobs won't start the engine remotely. Worked fine up until about a month ago. Also, get the left rear turn signal out, when it is actually working fine. Will be taking it in to a dealer soon. But, if you have any ideas that would help me understand the problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!!!

Patriot_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Five years into service on my 2012 1500 Laramie, one of my fobs died and wouldn't start the truck, unlock doors, etc. (This was the one that used everyday, the other was kept in the safe and only used when dropping truck off at dealer.) I had a new battery put in, no change.

I took it to the dealership and they told me that there was a "finite number of uses for the remote" and that mine "was done" and that the internal contacts were shot.
I was able to convince the dealer to give me a discount on the price of the new fob and programming it. Still was disappointing that it only made it five years.

When you need a new battery on your fobs, if you let Batteries and Bulbs replace the battery, they will provide free replacements for life. They put a small sticker inside the fob and enter your details in their system.