2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab 5.7 liter Hemi. SES light came on and truck will not go into Economy mode. P0441 Evap Purge system DTC.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWRobb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Tradesman Quad Cab
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
I have a very good scanner and retrieved the DTC code P0441. Evaporative purge system failure. My scanner also indicated a caution light indicating excess emmissions with this condition. I was busy so I took it to a dealer and they changed the Purge solenoid and cleared the DTC.
The SES light came back on a couple days later. I don't generally let dealers work on my vehicles because many don't have mechanics that understand how to test the sensors on these cars. I have test equipment and the know how to test these vehicles but I was very busy on another project so I took the truck to the dealer. They replaced the Purge solenoid at the cost of $234 dollars. Big mistake on my part.
Like I said the DTC was P0441, the Service Engine Soon light was on steady, the alarm for emmissions was yellow on my scanner, the engine was running rough and would not go into ECO mode.
A loose gas cap can sometimes cause some of the issues. My gas cap was tight but I removed it and inspected it. It was really dirty inside even though I only have 66,000 miles on the truck. I bought a NEW Mopar gas cap, erased the DTC with my scanner and the truck is back to normal and running fine. I learned a good lesson here. Dealers don't always know how to fix newer vehicles, they just change parts and collect lots of money for labor. I doubt very much if the Purge Solenoid was bad at all. I cleaned the old cap with carburetor cleaner and it's probably still good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock