2014 Ram 3500 Aisin Transmission issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surgeonblademan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi all, new here so hope posting in the right spot.
I have a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW 67. Cummins diesel with the Aisin automatic transmission, my truck has 208000 plus miles on it, at 204000 miles I had new valve body, new control solenoids, new wiring harness and new shift selector switch replaced because I had previously been getting codes P0607, P0970 coming up in my mil, previously back in August of 2022 with Oklahoma temperatures reaching 95 plus degrees and super high humidity is when my control solenoids would mess up and put the truck in limp mode, after talking with a mechanic who previously had deleted my truck we decided to change all I previously stated.
After 4 months finally got my truck back and twice now it's throwing the P0970, P0607 codes, threw a C1400 code once but not recently.
I now have 208000 plus miles on it and after truck been sitting in 6 degree cold weather for 3 days, batteries are fully charged up with block heater plugged in truck fires right up, and after idling for 25 minutes took it out and it throws the P0970 code, goes into limp mode. I've tried shifting from park to drive and back 3 or 4 times to reset the tcm/tranny, and it works but still stuck in 3rd or 4th gear going forward,
Not sure what to try now.
Back in the summer we had super hot temps with high humidity and it would do this same thing but after letting sit and cooled off it reset and worked right on its own. Now I'm wondering if the super cold temps are affecting the tcm, control solenoids or something else? Love this truck but about fed up after sinking all that I have into this truck in the last 2 years.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If things are all okay it shouldn't be throwing codes and going into limp-mode regardless of temperature so there's definitely something still wrong. That's a bunch of replacement parts and work that I'd think would have fixed a lot of things that could have been wrong. At that mileage I start to wonder how hard the miles were? Towing heavy the whole time you could be starting to wear some internal parts and be due for a rebuild. Unfortunately, the Aisin isn't all that common so most of us aren't going to be of much help. 66rfe failing on a gasser? I'm an expert :) :)

OP
OP
S

Surgeonblademan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I bought the truck in 2019 it had 133000 miles on it and the bed looked brand new with no gooseneck or any kind of hitches installed, so whatever pulling / towing with it had to be limited to under reciever. I installed a B&W gooseneck hitch and about every 8 months would move my 35 ft grand design reflection fifth wheel from job to job, with the rest of the driving being daily driver. I've always tried to keep up maintenance on all my vehicles on a regular scheduled basis
Not knowing what the previous owners did, when i purchased at 133000 and again at 204000 miles I had tranny fluid and filter changed. The second time at 204000 my thinking and the mechanic was hoping it would help, we had planned on changing the control solenoids but the mechanic told me the only place available at the time was dealer and they wouldn't sell them to the public and the only other option was to change the whole valve body in the tranny which you get the control solenoids with, so initially we tried just changing the fluid and filter, after which that didn't work we decided to change the valve body and control solenoids after which when he did that was opening a can of worms and a bunch of other codes started throwing at which time he started changing all the other parts, including a new 4 wheel drive actuator of which I had previously replaced only 2 months prior.
I'm wondering if it might be a bad time or in my pcm?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
From the get go he should of first checked the harness for corroded wires or chafed insulation in the wiring harness behind the drivers front wheelwell liner.

OP
OP
S

Surgeonblademan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From the get go he should of first checked the harness for corroded wires or chafed insulation in the wiring harness behind the drivers front wheelwell liner.
Yeah I'm not sure if he did or not. My boss actually told me today after work that I should check them and see about pulling the harness apart, cleaning the connectors and the putting dielectric grease on them and seeing if that helps.
I did actually tried starting it this evening when I got in from work and it was doing the same exact thing, so I tried the reset where you shift the truck from park to drive then back to park several times then killed it, restarted truck and shifted into drive and it actually worked and reset it first gear. But I went ahead and killed truck and unhooked battery cables and tied the cable ends together positive to negative for an hr to try to reset the Transmission Control Module.
I'm fixing to go out and hook back up to see what it does.
I know this is probably only a temporary fix.
I need to figure out what the real problem is!

OP
OP
S

Surgeonblademan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah I'm not sure if he did or not. My boss actually told me today after work that I should check them and see about pulling the harness apart, cleaning the connectors and the putting dielectric grease on them and seeing if that helps.
I did actually tried starting it this evening when I got in from work and it was doing the same exact thing, so I tried the reset where you shift the truck from park to drive then back to park several times then killed it, restarted truck and shifted into drive and it actually worked and reset it first gear. But I went ahead and killed truck and unhooked battery cables and tied the cable ends together positive to negative for an hr to try to reset the Transmission Control Module.
I'm fixing to go out and hook back up to see what it does.
I know this is probably only a temporary fix.
I need to figure out what the real problem is!
So, rehooked the batteries after and hr and a half with the cables hooked together, started truck up, put it through the gears, everything seems ok, let it warm up then drove it down the road a few miles, it shifts fine and drives like it supposed to so brought it back home and parked it.

When I get more time I'm gonna check the wiring behind the drivers side plastic panel and clean if dirty and apply dielectric grease. If it still does it after that I may try checking more into the transmission control module.
I still have a feeling the P0607 code which is the pcm/ecm has a ground problem which I'm thinking is affecting it somehow, but I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, rehooked the batteries after and hr and a half with the cables hooked together, started truck up, put it through the gears, everything seems ok, let it warm up then drove it down the road a few miles, it shifts fine and drives like it supposed to so brought it back home and parked it.

When I get more time I'm gonna check the wiring behind the drivers side plastic panel and clean if dirty and apply dielectric grease. If it still does it after that I may try checking more into the transmission control module.
I still have a feeling the P0607 code which is the pcm/ecm has a ground problem which I'm thinking is affecting it somehow, but I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure.
As long as it's working don't do anything!! :) :)

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THIS! I have a 2014 with the Aisin and sure as **** there were issues right at that plug causing transmission issues.