2014 Ram 3500 column shifter lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any ideas what's going on here.

Column shifter will not lock in park. What I mean is you can take it out of Park without touching the brake pedal and it'll come out whether the truck is off or on.

I have scanned all modules and have no trouble codes.

I have verified the Aisin range sensor is reading properly in P, R, N and D.

The shifter cable feels properly adjusted as in it goes fully into P, R, N and D.

I thought I had this happen once before and was able to restore it by initializing or re-learning in some module.

I thought it was "relearn brake pedal sensor" so I did that procedure and it made no difference.

Ideas?

I do not like the idea of anyone being able to pull it out of Park.

Thanks.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any ideas what's going on here.

Column shifter will not lock in park. What I mean is you can take it out of Park without touching the brake pedal and it'll come out whether the truck is off or on.

I have scanned all modules and have no trouble codes.

I have verified the Aisin range sensor is reading properly in P, R, N and D.

The shifter cable feels properly adjusted as in it goes fully into P, R, N and D.

I thought I had this happen once before and was able to restore it by initializing or re-learning in some module.

I thought it was "relearn brake pedal sensor" so I did that procedure and it made no difference.

Ideas?

I do not like the idea of anyone being able to pull it out of Park.

Thanks.
Did you have the brake transmission shift interlock recall done. It addresses this very issue.

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't stand letting the dealer do anything. Hacks love to lose fasteners, break tabs Etc Etc.

The previous owner had this thing dealer maintained and it shows. Busted fasteners all over, missing clips etc etc.

Pulled the column apart and immediately saw the issue.

The white plastic emergency release lever had jammed three locking pin unlocked.

A quick cleaning and silicone lube and she's good as new.

20200318_124622.jpg

20200318_124052.jpg

20200318_124047.jpg

20200318_124038.jpg

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to try and find a new replacement if they're not too spendy. This one's got some miles on it.