2015 6.4 HEMI radiator leak / coolant smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vmaxer_OKC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve owned my 2015 Ram 6.4 HEMI for 2 years. It’s just about to turn 130k mi. It’s always had slight “anti-freeze smell” when I would park after some hard driving.

I have crawled around and looked all over for any signs of a leak. I never noticed a drop in coolant level, so I just let it go.

Last weekend, it decided to show itself. Coolant began to puddle under the passenger side of radiator. When I pulled the radiator it was obvious it’s been leaking for awhile. I attached a few pics of the radiator. It wasn’t a bad job, couple hours in and out. Didn’t even have to pull the mechanical fan.

4F48F917-519E-400E-AD2E-2245F6AEEEF2.jpeg

23EC59B4-DD72-44FD-8653-A7546BADE1CE.jpeg

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good find, alot of times on any vehicle when you smell but cant find, its this. Also make sure you put the right antifreeze in. And this is a great time to do a flush.

OP
OP
V

Vmaxer_OKC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve seen several posts on others reporting the “anti-freeze smell”. I haven’t noticed it since I replaced the radiator. I haven’t been driving it that hard since all the “virus isolation stuff” either. Time will tell.

wyoming

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue with my 2015 6.4. Just picked up my new radiator and was wondering how bad its gonna be to swap out. Any info or tips would be appreciated. Did you have to bleed the air by removing bleeder by thermostat housing when refilling the system? What type of antifreeze should a person use?

15PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you, I am going to get in the weeds and see what I can find. I have that wonderous smell as well, no visual indication of a leak, oil is still oil and not sludge, but I am losing coolant. Time to play find the drip!