2015 6.4 Hemi valve train is smoked and getting a new motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for the warm welcome!! I’m very lucky to be within 2k miles of warranty and at a good dealer with good service (hope I haven’t spoke to soon). My Ram is in very good condition and now has a new motor, so I could be in worse shape! [emoji12] I did waste $700 on a battery and starter on the side of the road, but now it doesn’t seem like as much of a waste. I have a lot of time and money in that truck with exhaust, rear airbags, LEDs, hideaways, plow, etc and it was my baby for 4 years until the new truck, so it’s be maintained to the tees. Fluid filmed every fall, oil every 4K miles, you name it I did it and with the new motor it should (I hope) last for the next 10 years. Thank you all again for welcoming me and I’ll post up whatever ends up happening! Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome, Thats fantastic what the mother company did for you (FCA), I just purchased a fine Ram and I know what to look for and preventive maintenance, proper oil, mostly that I will do early on, hopefully I will be fortunate, with the limited warrantee that I have, how about some pics of your rig and don't plow with it any more time for a rest.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thank you Mark! So far so good! The dealer (Drivers Village) in NY has been great! Broke down Sat night, had it towed and they called Mon morning 10:15 am and said I’m getting a new motor. The only thing I didn’t like was the charge to pull the plow frame. It’s a Boss push plate and 6 bolts hold it on. $450 seems a bit hi to remove it. I’ll talk with them about it when I go get the truck. I agreed to pay for new plugs and a belt. I also asked and will gladly pay for tranny flush.

Thank you for your follow up, Hugh. I'm very glad to hear that it sounds like you are in good hands with the team at your dealer and that your engine is being replaced! If you are in need of any additional help or happen to have any questions while in service, we are always just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find that crazy insane.... a new motor or a new to you used motor??? My guess rebuilt.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome, Thats fantastic what the mother company did for you (FCA), I just purchased a fine Ram and I know what to look for and preventive maintenance, proper oil, mostly that I will do early on, hopefully I will be fortunate, with the limited warrantee that I have, how about some pics of your rig and don't plow with it any more time for a rest.

I’m not really brand loyal, I just love trucks! They all have their pros and cons. I have an older Ford F-350 7.3 too. The Chevy Duramax is the newest one. It’s badged as an LTZ beca it’s the z71, but it’s got all the options the High Counrty has. And I’ve quit plowing, not that the dodge did that much. We use equip to plow commercially, but I’m done with all that!

207a6397d9861d8fb6e887faaa12d260.jpgb5406d28f8531f6ff88fd6866bd9e594.jpg

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
What's crazy about dealership replacing engine with a paid warranty with a new crate motor.
Them not replacing would be crazy.........LoL

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Man you are REALLY lucky it didn't crap on you 5,000 miles from now! Mine is a 16' & they stopped doing the 100k mi. warranty just months after they built your truck. So at 54,000 miles I am already out of warranty & hope mine does not have the same fate as yours. It is weird how it is hit & miss! There is a guy on the HD forum that uses his 16' to Hot Shot. He said he is pulling over 12,000 pounds everyday with his & has racked up nearly 500,000 on his with no major issues.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bet you had a defective lifter from the factory. Do you have the Ram back yet? I'm curious to know if the tick you 'always had' is now gone.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man you are REALLY lucky it didn't crap on you 5,000 miles from now! Mine is a 16' & they stopped doing the 100k mi. warranty just months after they built your truck. So at 54,000 miles I am already out of warranty & hope mine does not have the same fate as yours. It is weird how it is hit & miss! There is a guy on the HD forum that uses his 16' to Hot Shot. He said he is pulling over 12,000 pounds everyday with his & has racked up nearly 500,000 on his with no major issues.

Yeah, I’m very lucky!! I hope for your sake it’s a hit or miss.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet you had a defective lifter from the factory. Do you have the Ram back yet? I'm curious to know if the tick you 'always had' is now gone.

It always had a tick. I was told by everyone that it’s just how the Hemi is. Now I know that’s BS. I don’t have it back yet. They called yesterday and said it should be ready today and that the lines going to the trans are ****** looking, I need new ones and it’s going to cost another $400+-. I find that odd tho because that truck was fluid filmed every winter and there’s not a speck of rust anywhere on it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you did it yourself or asked specifically for them to be covered, it is possible they didn't hit them - they often don't go close to the motor or trans since it will smell after for a bit.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you did it yourself or asked specifically for them to be covered, it is possible they didn't hit them - they often don't go close to the motor or trans since it will smell after for a bit.

I load up a paint sprayer and lace the undercarriage pretty heavily. Anyway, they just called and with towing, labor (plow frame) plugs, belt, trans flush, filter and hoses it’s going to cost me $1370. I’m thinking about sending my brother in a rental car to pick it up, but if it fails on the 300 mile trip home it’s just going to cost me more money if there’s not a 2nd vehicle there to deal with it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the break down as far as parts and the labor?
Without seeing it and going by your description of the plow frame, their quote to remove it did seem a bit excessive.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the break down as far as parts and the labor?
Without seeing it and going by your description of the plow frame, their quote to remove it did seem a bit excessive.

I didn’t go get it yet. I’m going up on Monday, but I’ll give you the break down as soon as I have it.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey OP, sorry to get off topic but how have u liked those STT Pros? Any info on their snow ability would be appreciated.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey OP, sorry to get off topic but how have u liked those STT Pros? Any info on their snow ability would be appreciated.

They work great. With weight in the truck I could plow in 2WD. They last about 35k or more if you rotate them and not that loud on the highway at all.

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
1993 D-350 CTD dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins
"it's always had a tick" damn! How can you screw up a roller cam? It will be interesting to see if if the cam or the lifter failed.