2016 3500 W/Thuren level kit, 18 vs 20 inch rim, and max tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riperoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Hey all, here is my situation, Black 2016 Mega cab CTD Laramie Longhorn with Thuren level kit in the front. My next (probably springtime) project is wheels and tires, my original intent was to take the stock 20's powder coat them and then put some new rubber on them, well, yesterday in the surprise snow storm in the NE took a nice little spin on the untreated roads and made love to a nice high curb, did some serious damage to one of my rims. So got me to thinking, for the price of a stock 20, almost $600, maybe take that and invest in some aftermarket rims and new tires, so, if I do go that route, fresh slate, was thinking of going to 18's as the options are more plentiful, a tad cheaper and I like the look of the taller sidewall on our trucks. So, like to get some input from anyone on what are your thoughts, pics always a bonus.

1) Max tire size with an 18 inch and 20 inch rim with my 2.25 thuren level kit?
2) Anything to be aware of going down to an 18 inch from a 20?
3) Any input on Rims? I like the all black look, but not against a two tone with Black in it, I was even toying with the black/Bronze combo, kind of like that look, but always worried about that being a passing fad, although it seems like it's sticking.
4) Tire choice, I'm not an off roader, maybe a fire road once in a while, but primarily a daily driver, but I do like the aggressive look, i do like the look of the (fake) bead locker.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, I know I am asking alot, but just doing my research before I spend $3k on rims and tires, want to make sure I get it right. Please be gentle!!!! TIA!

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nothing wrong with going to a 18, 35's with no rub, 37s rub plastic. Can trim, heat or zip tie plastic and have no rub.

Rims are personal but method has some quality wheels even bronze ones. I won't even go there on tires because I'm running M/Ts.

Make sure you get the right offset on rims, unless you want your tires to stick out look for for around 0-20+. With 18+ as ideal

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A 18" wheel will also give you a better ride with a tire that has more sidewall. Go to tiresize.com. You can look up wheel offset and tire sizes. A + 18 to 20 offset is going to give you a wheel that doesn't stick out to far.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depending on the offset you go with you can get 37s under there with no rub. Check out what Thuren reccomends on his site for offset.

As for wheels theres so many reputable brands out there just pick one you like from Fuel, XD, Method to name a few.

Check out the hybrid AT/MTs like the nitto ridge grapplers there more an AT with a MT sidewall to look aggressive.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Can ya get one from the front so he can see how much the tire sticks out?

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Hey all, here is my situation, Black 2016 Mega cab CTD Laramie Longhorn with Thuren level kit in the front. My next (probably springtime) project is wheels and tires, my original intent was to take the stock 20's powder coat them and then put some new rubber on them, well, yesterday in the surprise snow storm in the NE took a nice little spin on the untreated roads and made love to a nice high curb, did some serious damage to one of my rims. So got me to thinking, for the price of a stock 20, almost $600, maybe take that and invest in some aftermarket rims and new tires, so, if I do go that route, fresh slate, was thinking of going to 18's as the options are more plentiful, a tad cheaper and I like the look of the taller sidewall on our trucks. So, like to get some input from anyone on what are your thoughts, pics always a bonus.

1) Max tire size with an 18 inch and 20 inch rim with my 2.25 thuren level kit?
2) Anything to be aware of going down to an 18 inch from a 20?
3) Any input on Rims? I like the all black look, but not against a two tone with Black in it, I was even toying with the black/Bronze combo, kind of like that look, but always worried about that being a passing fad, although it seems like it's sticking.
4) Tire choice, I'm not an off roader, maybe a fire road once in a while, but primarily a daily driver, but I do like the aggressive look, i do like the look of the (fake) bead locker.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, I know I am asking alot, but just doing my research before I spend $3k on rims and tires, want to make sure I get it right. Please be gentle!!!! TIA!
I'm actually looking to do the same, just waiting for Black Friday deals

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ran a 35 x 12.5 ST Maxx on my truck prior. Very nice tire, looked good and wore well. A little more noise then your typical AT tire but way less then some of the mud tires I've heard. With a 1.5" level nothing rubs.
Ram2500Centerline5_zps57kg0ajx.jpg