2016 6.4 died while idling…PLEASE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly, none of the guys who have worked on the truck are capable of performing diagnostic tests. They’re just parts changers.

A decent tech with a good professional scanner could probe the circuitry between the injectors and PCM and see what the voltage is doing. From there determine if there’s a wiring harness issue or the PCM. I could name several that are YouTube famous, but they’re not in VA.

The problem for a DIY person is even if you have the skills, the scan tool with oscilloscope function probably costs more than the PCM.

I would start inquiring around the area and try to find a real tech, with the right tools and expertise. They do exist.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Sadly, none of the guys who have worked on the truck are capable of performing diagnostic tests. They’re just parts changers.

A decent tech with a good professional scanner could probe the circuitry between the injectors and PCM and see what the voltage is doing. From there determine if there’s a wiring harness issue or the PCM. I could name several that are YouTube famous, but they’re not in VA.

The problem for a DIY person is even if you have the skills, the scan tool with oscilloscope function probably costs more than the PCM.

I would start inquiring around the area and try to find a real tech, with the right tools and expertise. They do exist.
Absolutely correct. If you keep paying these hacks you will be broke before you get this fixed. Find a good speed and tuning shop near you. They have the gear to diagnose this properly.

OP
OP
SixFo-on-I64

SixFo-on-I64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Absolutely correct. If you keep paying these hacks you will be broke before you get this fixed. Find a good speed and tuning shop near you. They have the gear to diagnose this properly.
Thanks I’ll look for one asap! Kind of wondered who’s have proper diag equipment besides the dealer! Lord knows I can’t afford to pay dealer prices at this point!

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you don't want to hear this but....the dealer maybe?

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did read the thread. It sounds like the dealer is on the expensive side. I just suggested them because that's where I go and they should have more knowledge. Right now he has a bunch of money and time in it. I'm old enough enough to know that the smaller shops have the least amount of experience and the dealer might have had him going by now for less that what he has in it. JMO, just trying to help.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I did read the thread. It sounds like the dealer is on the expensive side. I just suggested them because that's where I go and they should have more knowledge. Right now he has a bunch of money and time in it. I'm old enough enough to know that the smaller shops have the least amount of experience and the dealer might have had him going by now for less that what he has in it. JMO, just trying to help.
You were right, I was wrong. I confused this thread with another thread. This OP has not tried the dealer. He just had two bad repair shops he was working with. Sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
SixFo-on-I64

SixFo-on-I64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Purchased used pcm for $200 from used parts place…identical vehicle…year, model,& trim, as I was told they were plug n play…plugged in pcm and well! No change! Do I need to have it reprogrammed or should truck start but limit options? No radio etc!

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
A bad camshaft sensor could cause this. I have seen them in the past where they run a little bit, then short out and open all the injectors and continuously fire all the coils. Floods the engine and fries the coils. Quite the mess.

Less likely a crank sensor, but possible. Need to get a competent tech with a scope that can see what they are doing when the engine is cranking. Also need to put a noid light in the injector plugs to see if the ecm is pulsing the signal like it's supposed to or they are on constantly which would indicate wiring shorted to power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SixFo-on-I64

SixFo-on-I64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A bad camshaft sensor could cause this. I have seen them in the past where they run a little bit, then short out and open all the injectors and continuously fire all the coils. Floods the engine and fries the coils. Quite the mess.

Less likely a crank sensor, but possible. Need to get a competent tech with a scope that can see what they are doing when the engine is cranking. Also need to put a noid light in the injector plugs to see if the ecm is pulsing the signal like it's supposed to or they are on constantly which would indicate wiring shorted to power.
Thanks that was my thought in the beginning…New Cam and Crank sensors installed already along with new throttle body while at shop originally.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Thanks that was my thought in the beginning…New Cam and Crank sensors installed already along with new throttle body while at shop originally.
I saw where you said they put in a throttle body, but didn't see where you mentioned the cam and crank sensors. Probably going to be a wiring problem.ĺ

OP
OP
SixFo-on-I64

SixFo-on-I64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does anyone know if it’s possible for collapsed lifter or grooved camshaft to cause such symptoms? Also does anyone have a troubleshooting procedure for the injectors or injector harness? And thanks for your help in advance!

OP
OP
SixFo-on-I64

SixFo-on-I64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Please Copy, paste, and post to get larger audience…hopefully someone who’s experienced such! Maybe someone has ALLDATA account!