2016 after market brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lazlo Leiby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HELP! New guy here. Just bought a 2016 5.7 crewcab 4x4 Outdoorsman. 3.92 gears. It has what I need for towing except the brake control.

I took the Curt Discovery brake controller out of my Yukon XL when I traded it in. It doesn't have a plug on it. I bought a Tenosha Dodge plug and wired it to match color coded wires. Didn't work. Found a half ass picture on the internet and re positioned the wires in the plug. Now when the brake is applied I get the decimal point (no numbers)which indicates no trailer attached, when it is.

I've done a few brake controllers in the past without problem.. I am open for suggestions. I called the Curt tech line and the guy didn't have a clue.

I also added a set of the Tyger Running boards I got off Amazon. They are stout and look good. Easy to install, by myself. Took me about an hour each side.

Ram 2.jpg

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you using the plug in adaptor already? If not check out etrailer.com and you will find one.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did you check the fuse for under the hood? I believe it's F11
Is there a second trailer with brakes you could try(or have another vehicle check this trailer)? Also check the. wiring/plug on the backside of the bumper.

OP
OP
Lazlo Leiby

Lazlo Leiby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ultimately I installed a factory brake controller that didn't work either. Took the dealer mechanic about 4.5 hours to track down a pin that had been bent over at the factory that was causing a short. It's fixed now. everything is working.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ultimately I installed a factory brake controller that didn't work either. Took the dealer mechanic about 4.5 hours to track down a pin that had been bent over at the factory that was causing a short. It's fixed now. everything is working.

Thank you for letting us know the outcome/fix, glad everything worked out for you.