2016 Big Horn Tranny Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in Belize, Central America with my 2016 Ram Big Horn 5.7L 4X4 and decided to have the tranny fluid and filter changed for the 1st time. Ram has 63k miles on it.

I do not trust the dealer to do the work being a small service center.

I decided to take the Ram to best shop that has done all my other maintenance.

Then I hit a snag. The premiere auto parts store sold me the wrong filter and pan. The Ram was on the rack waiting for the part. Since the parts were incorrect and the supplier did not have the correct pan-filter unit in stock, it had to be special ordered. It will take 3 weeks to 6 weeks to arrive. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, the shop had dropped the pan and emptied the fluid. We look at the pan and cleaned it as best possible. New fluid installed. I had no choice. 5 quarts later and going through the shift gear process, and driving back to the house my thoughts were as follows:
1. Will the new tranny fluid clean out the existing filter?
2. Will the new fluid help clean the internal tranny parts?
3. Since the Ram is running great with acceptable tranny temp readings, should I wait until 100k miles to change it out or change it out when the part arrives?

Just need some advice.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't think I've seen one of the ZF8's filters removed/torn out of the pan. They're typically rock catchers anyway. I would have wiped the magnets as clean as you could and maybe clean and blow everything off with some type of parts cleaner provided it will dry w/out residue.

Do another fluid change when installing the new pan and call her good for another ~6yrs and 100K miles.

OP
OP
El Guapo Phil

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was leaning to doing just that. I did clean the pan and the magnets.
When the new pan and filter does arrive, I'll have it installed.

BTW, the labor charge in $35 BZ which @17.50 US.
Tranny fluid, I getting Amsoil for the tranny.