Dealer said No for transmission fluid change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just clicked on that ZF pan and it said unavaiable and don't know it it will be restocked.

The ZF link works for me and indicates a delivery available. I have a US address attached to my Amazon.com account, though. If I set it to a Canadian address, it shows as unavailable.

This happens very often with items on Amazon that for some odd reason, they're not allowing Canadian deliveries or they have chosen to gouge us deeply on the dot ca site.

The Amazon.com price is $99, the dot ca is $218. That's odd that I've recently seen the US/CDN exchange has improved from $1.40 to $1.32 CDN to US.

I have a love/hate relationship with amazon, I believe that they're supreme FHs that screw us over for being Canadian. Same as Walmart.

Last edited:

captain4bars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered one and there were 16 available. This is crazy that Ram would spec a trans that never needs "service." This will be my first go at it with 142k miles, 2014 1500 8-spd. Put it off as long as possible.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 1500 Ram Bighorn, 5.7 8 speed trans. 117,000 miles. First post here, I called local dealership for price on tranny fluid and filter change. They ask if I was having problems, I said no. Well they said for my PU the fluid and filter is for Life time, unless there is a problem they won't change it. I said nothing is life time and it ended. How true is this, Life time? I don't haul anything, no slippage, just thought it should be serviced. Thank you.

I’m sure it’s probably already been said at this point but yes, if you look up the manufacturer of these eight speed transmissions, you will find that there is indeed a maintenance interval but that’s strange your dealership told you they wouldn’t touch it because when I asked my dealership about it several years ago, they told me the same thing about it being a lifetime fill but they did say that if I wanted to change the fluid and filter/pan in it, it was gonna cost me about $600 to service it.

If you’re mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself for a whole lot cheaper.

Freeland Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The original ZF has a filter incorporated in the pan. Dorman makes a replacement pan with a replacement filter. I own a 6.7 with the 68RFE in my truck but my 19 Charger GT takes the ZF.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1709120405475.png

So I think you want to pull the pan and dump it periodically, just to see if it's contaminated with water. Maybe every 60k or so?:p

Last edited:

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did mine this weekend. I was cussing most of the time. The hard parts we're having to fabricate a 10mm hex for the drain plug. Cut up a 3/8 10mm socket and welded it to a 10mm wrench. And having to fight with a gear oil pump that said it fits quart size bottles it did NOT. The pump from hft works fine but didn't screw onto the Mopar quart transmission bottles. This was the most annoying part and would saved a ton of time and headache if it did.

I used the dorman pan. I didn't want to go with a cheaper pan as it is next to the exhaust and plastic can melt or wrap when heated. So I put more trust in dorman than the flyover night Amazon stuff. Now I can just replace the dorman filter.

2017 ram mileage was 77000miles. No problems just doing a lot of maintenance this year.

Watch the blauparts transmission video on YouTube. Big help.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did mine this weekend. I was cussing most of the time. The hard parts we're having to fabricate a 10mm hex for the drain plug. Cut up a 3/8 10mm socket and welded it to a 10mm wrench. And having to fight with a gear oil pump that said it fits quart size bottles it did NOT. The pump from hft works fine but didn't screw onto the Mopar quart transmission bottles. This was the most annoying part and would saved a ton of time and headache if it did.

I used the dorman pan. I didn't want to go with a cheaper pan as it is next to the exhaust and plastic can melt or wrap when heated. So I put more trust in dorman than the flyover night Amazon stuff. Now I can just replace the dorman filter.

2017 ram mileage was 77000miles. No problems just doing a lot of maintenance this year.

Watch the blauparts transmission video on YouTube. Big help.

Would this be the video?

The video made the process look pretty straight forward but, like many others I've seen, there was no detailed reference to levelling the oil pan before checking the fluid fill level.

Have any of the Ram trucks been built to have the oil pan level without jacking up the rear end?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Would this be the video?

The video made the process look pretty straight forward but, like many others I've seen, there was no detailed reference to levelling the oil pan before checking the fluid fill level.

Have any of the Ram trucks been built to have the oil pan level without jacking up the rear end?

Pretty well every other chassis the 8 speed is used in,has the transmission sitting pretty close to level,it's only the Ram trucks that have it sitting on a downhill slant towards the rear.
If you look at where the fill/checking plug sits,you'll see why ZF says to jack the truck up till the pan rail is level.
Take (2) 8 speeds,one that sits level in the chassis and the trucks 8 speed. With-out leveling the trucks pan rail,you'll never get the same amount of fluid in it's 8 speed as you will in the 8 speed that's sitting level in the chassis. The 8 speed seems to be sensitive to the fluid level,as even being only down a 1/2 quart of fluid has been known to cause it issues.
This is a crappy picture,but you can see where the fill plug is located on the pass side of the transmission,towards the rear of the transmission,about an inch above the pan rail,so if the transmission is angled downhill towards the rear,it won't take the same amount of fluid as the same transmission that's sitting level in a chassis

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I use my homemade transfer pump made from a 1 gallon weed sprayer pump for filling the transmission,it also works good for filling rear diffs etc.
They're cheap and easy to make,and come in handy.

Attachments

• IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 17

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty well every other chassis the 8 speed is used in,has the transmission sitting pretty close to level,it's only the Ram trucks that have it sitting on a downhill slant towards the rear.
If you look at where the fill/checking plug sits,you'll see why ZF says to jack the truck up till the pan rail is level.
Take (2) 8 speeds,one that sits level in the chassis and the trucks 8 speed. With-out leveling the trucks pan rail,you'll never get the same amount of fluid in it's 8 speed as you will in the 8 speed that's sitting level in the chassis. The 8 speed seems to be sensitive to the fluid level,as even being only down a 1/2 quart of fluid has been known to cause it issues.
This is a crappy picture,but you can see where the fill plug is located on the pass side of the transmission,towards the rear of the transmission,about an inch above the pan rail,so if the transmission is angled downhill towards the rear,it won't take the same amount of fluid as the same transmission that's sitting level in a chassis

Thanks for confirming my suspicion, that's exactly what I expected to hear.

I'm a bit baffled why so many apparently competent organizations post video directions, some of them are excellent, yet they omit this critical feature of levelling the pan first.

If someone were to toast their transmission gaskets because the fluid is over-filled or just waste that liquid gold, if using the Unicorn fluid, they're going to be very unhappy.

The lesson learned is that they should have researched sufficiently and become members of Ram Forum before beginning the project. :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for confirming my suspicion, that's exactly what I expected to hear.

I'm a bit baffled why so many apparently competent organizations post video directions, some of them are excellent, yet they omit this critical feature of levelling the pan first.

If someone were to toast their transmission gaskets because the fluid is over-filled or just waste that liquid gold, if using the Unicorn fluid, they're going to be very unhappy.

The lesson learned is that they should have researched sufficiently and become members of Ram Forum before beginning the project. :cool:

I've posted the green sheet on more pages then just here,lol.
John at Boosted Motorsports has changed his video,to include levelling the pan rail now.
He's a transplanted Canuck,and it didn't take much convincing for him to realize the pan rail needs to be levelled in the trucks,to get the same amount of fluid in the trucks 8 speed as the cars 8 speed

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've posted the green sheet on more pages then just here,lol.
John at Boosted Motorsports has changed his video,to include levelling the pan rail now.
He's a transplanted Canuck,and it didn't take much convincing for him to realize the pan rail needs to be levelled in the trucks,to get the same amount of fluid in the trucks 8 speed as the cars 8 speed

I'm confident that I have 3 or 4 copies of that green ZF cheat sheet on this PC.

Thanks for posting it so often. :cool:

That $13 fluid pump will likely cost a few more $ in Canada but is worth every penny. I likely have a few years before I'll need that maintenance, my truck is at about 21K miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm confident that I have 3 or 4 copies of that green ZF cheat sheet on this PC.

Thanks for posting it so often. :cool:

That $13 fluid pump will likely cost a few more $ in Canada but is worth every penny. I likely have a few years before I'll need that maintenance, my truck is at about 21K miles.

Keep an eye on Crappy Tires sales,they'll put the weed sprayer on sale ,usually starting in the spring. I think i bought mine for under 15 bucks on sale,but that was several years ago,but i'd hazard a guess it won't be much more then 20 bucks on sale even now.

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is the video. Makes it look too easy. They did not level in the video and who can blame them from a liability stand point.

I did use two 6ton jack stands from Walmart on sale on their app for $45 or 61 in store. to level mine. And make sure the traction control is off or else you will get abs check light. But that can be cleared with alfaobd later.