2017 backup Camera issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmans5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7L HEMI VVT V8 w/FuelSaver MDS
I am posting for my brother inlaw.
He has a 2017 Tradesman (I believe) and he had a Camera added, the shop that did it used a licence plate mounted camera to connect to I believe it is the RA2 display.
It is now working intermittently so I suspect it's a cheap camera issue, I want to help him out and get a OEM camera installed.
I suspect the guys that did the install just tapped into the wiring and used something like alfaOBD to activate it.
I am going to go look at it hopefully soon, any suggestions on what to look for regarding wiring?
I am hoping it will just be a matter of removing what they did and opening up the tailgate and connecting to hopefully an existing plugin is there to put in a proper OEM tailgate handle and camera

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
To install the OE camera, wiring has to be run from the camera all the way to the inside of the truck to the radio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmans5

bmans5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7L HEMI VVT V8 w/FuelSaver MDS
I image that is what they did for the camera they installed, so then could I re-route that up into the tailgate and just connect it to an OE Camera? I figure I might need to extend the wire

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I image that is what they did for the camera they installed, so then could I re-route that up into the tailgate and just connect it to an OE Camera? I figure I might need to extend the wire

It depends on what wiring they installed. If they installed factory wiring from the radio to the fuse box/radio/bcm then yes but since it was installed on the license plate I’m guessing they didn’t use an OE kit otherwise it would have gone to the tailgate. You’ll have to look at what they did for the wiring to know for sure. There’s no way to know what they did until you get your eyes on it.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If they didn't use a factory wiring harness to hook the camera up check to see where they got power for it from. I added an aftermarket backup camera to my truck along with an aftermarket stereo. When I wired the backup camera in I used the backup lights for a power source for the camera, it worked fine in the driveway, but would quit working minutes later. I had to wire the power into the backup wire on the trailer brake plug to get the camera to work properly. From what I can tell, the computer would sense the extra current draw at the back up light and cut power, then my camera would quit working. I also had a code in the BCM for a back up light voltage issue, with no check engine light and no bulb out warning.