2017 Dodge Ram fish tailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dby_limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New OP. takes 10 seconds to write up the problem description and expects guys to spend a half hour trying to figure out what is wrong. If you can't be bothered to take the time to provide a full and comprehensive chronology and description of the problem, then take it to a shop. They get paid to deal with, I hear a tink like noise form somewhere on my vehicle. What kind of vehicle sir? A red one.
:33: Yep. If you request assistance, at least respect others time enough to help them help you. I am guilty of this sometimes myself, mainly cause I know what I'm thinking dammit! :D

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know 0 about leveling, lift kits, but can't see why you would think that could fix it.
May not help, but I would have some one pushing back and forth on rear end , while you are under and looking at bushing and stuff.

Than I would getting a 4 wheel alignment done, if you havn't already
I seen a 1/2t crabbing up teh highway one time, Scared the hell out of me just following the guy
and he was about 110km, 60mph

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and it just began to tail fish on me. I bought new tires and just got a Carli leveling kit thinking it would solve the problem and it did not. Just got a new set of tires and again did not help.
Thuren rear trackbar . I've seen these firsthand installed an seen the stoke when owners come back from the test drive. It's a must go for.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New tires will feel unstable until they break in and wear the oils off the tread.

Srichey250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L, no eTroque
Come tell me that again after you have been on here a while and actually posted some helpful stuff. Check out the work I put in trying to help others. When you see this pattern repeated over and over, somewhere along the line you decide it is time to say something. Look at the number of thumbs up on my comment from other high contributing members.
Sorry I offended you sir...:rolleyes:. But give the guy a break, he's just asking

REDNECK28871

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 CLASSIC 5.7
Engine
Tell the truth did this start after the leveling kit was installed?

elinventorcito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry but is hard to try and help this guy if he is clueless, still I'm curious, pretty sure something got installed wrong in the kit

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
He said it started before the tires and kit, ie something was wrong before
So first thing should be what is the problem before adding extras,
where the old tires worn down?
Tires should not all of a sudden go bad, unless one is starting to separate

I don't think he has said how many miles on truck

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
3500 miles and the tires needed replacing???

Did I read that right? :oops:

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Thank u all. Needed new tires. They had about 3500 miles. The truck alone has 62000 miles
Which Brand/size tires did you remove?

Curious because I will be buying tires within the next few months and want tires that feel like they hold the road. Dont want the rear all squirrely .

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Hopefully a typo by OP and he meant 35,000 miles!
Had a Suburban a few years back that had tire problems. Brand new OEM tires on the new truck, first trip, and a gust of wind would blow you across two lanes of the Interstate. Scary as hell. Stopped at the closest GM dealer we could find, checked everything stem to stern, found nothing, changed the tires, completely cured the problem.

My issue wiuth the OP on this thread is his story doesn't line up. Said he was having the fishtailing problems, put on new tires and a lift kit, still had the problem. Now he says replacing those new tires solved the fishtail. So old worn tires fishtail and brand new ones do too. Sounds Fishy to me.:buttkick:

Last edited:

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2021 2500 started doing this after putting on new wheels and tires. I installed the Thuren rear track bar kit and it helped a little but it still happens. Never had this issue before the wheels and tires. I did notice my dads 2020 3500 has a similar feeling as a stock truck. Maybe it’s just a RAM thing.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This has happened to me 3 times, three different trucks. Each time it was cheap ass tires. Inflated to 60+ PSI, they were all over the road... Taken down to 35PSI and all was fine. Returned the tires one time and spent the money, issue disappeared completely.

Not saying this is your issue, but you might be able to test it by drastically altering you PSI (For testing only)

And let me tell you, it took a month to get the tire dealer to take back the tires. Went all the way up to the MFG to make it happen.
This is worth a try. To get the correct pressure do the chalk test. Check out this YouTube video. You can get the chalk @ walmart for under 10 bucks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0qL20nBNRI&t=2s