2017 ram 6.4 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
went to haul a frontier that weighs 3700# on a 2000# trailer about 15 min into the haul the truck starts to search for gears but couldn’t find a gear it liked on flat ground 45mph 5mpg about an hour into the haul check engine comes on and the red lightening bolts flashing trucks stuck in 4th gear limited to 50mpg rpm fluctuating 1800-2200 message on dash service electric throttle control. Any ideas what causes this light also why the truck struggles with such a light load since new it seems short on power

Last edited:

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
went to haul a frontier that weighs 3700# on a 2000# trailer about 15 min into the haul the truck starts to search for gears but couldn’t find a gear it liked on that ground 45mph 5mpg about an hour into the haul check engine comes on and the red lightening bolts flashing trucks stuck in 4th gear limited to 50mpg rom fluctuating 1800-2200 message on dash service electric throttle control. Any ideas what’s caused this light also why the truck struggles with such a light load since new it seems short on power

Did you ever get your transmission overheating issue sortied? When I had shift solenoid failure in my truck it was stuck in 4th. Before it locked itself into "limp mode" it was hunting gears, it would also not fully go into park. The shift indicator was show park but the truck would roll and if you touch the gas it would jump forward.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Unfortunately, the hunting for gears is just life with a 6.4 Hemi (great engine) and a 66rfe (crappy tranny). That being said there is obviously something wrong and the possibilities are endless. It may have something to do with the shifting or the shifting may just be more noticeable and worse with whatever else is going on. Get it to the dealer ASAP.... I'm assuming it's under warranty? These trucks are so high-tech that it's really hard to know without getting computer readouts and whatnot.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
First off, punctuation is your friend. I’m 3 shots and 2 captain and cokes into the evening and your post hurt my brain with the run on sentence from hell.

Second, what gears are in the truck? And did you have it in tow haul mode?

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever get your transmission overheating issue sortied? When I had shift solenoid failure in my truck it was stuck in 4th. Before it locked itself into "limp mode" it was hunting gears, it would also not fully go into park. The shift indicator was show park but the truck would roll and if you touch the gas it would jump forward.

I got the trans to run at 170* dealer called me n said pick ur truck up we will not fix it ur not welcomed back here since one guy said ur a fu**ing moron since I stated leds have nothing to do with the trans and the lift has nothing to do with the fuel tank issues. Long story short I told the guy they need to get mechanics not parts changers and that’s why I got that phone call. The trans I did a flush it cooled it down a bit already had the shift Solonoid and the valve body replaced

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off, punctuation is your friend. I’m 3 shots and 2 captain and cokes into the evening and your post hurt my brain with the run on sentence from hell.

Second, what gears are in the truck? And did you have it in tow haul mode?

Lol punctuation was never something I used. Anyway truck has 3.73s I tried it in both tow haul on and off

OP
OP
M

Mattera350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, the hunting for gears is just life with a 6.4 Hemi (great engine) and a 66rfe (crappy tranny). That being said there is obviously something wrong and the possibilities are endless. It may have something to do with the shifting or the shifting may just be more noticeable and worse with whatever else is going on. Get it to the dealer ASAP.... I'm assuming it's under warranty? These trucks are so high-tech that it's really hard to know without getting computer readouts and whatnot.

Have to find a new dealer (read above post) the trucks been in and out of the shop since new with radio,trans,software,tailgate,fuel tank,steering, and rear end issues