2018 / 2500 6.4 Shudder???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Driveshaft replaced.

Didn’t fix the issue.

test drove the truck with shop manager/technician- they said to get tires road force balanced.

Tires were checked - didn’t fix the issue.

Towed my boat yesterday - shuddered the entire time.

Will be back to the dealer after the holiday... but they don’t think anything is wrong with it...

Truck drives like crap. Started all at once, problem didn’t evolve... just started to drive like crap.

Symptoms listed - anyone have any advice?:
-shudders on light acceleration
-shudders while slowing down without brakes
-shudders-stumbles at highway speeds

-hard acceleration, no issues.
-shudders when towing

-problem is worse when trans is not fully warmed up.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Could it be torque convertor shudder? Have you tried very carefully shifting into neutral at highway speed?

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Could it be torque convertor shudder? Have you tried very carefully shifting into neutral at highway speed?

everyone I spoke to said the TC is the problem. And it’s exactly what I thought...

Dealer says it’s not.

Not sure I want to try the neutral test...

Bugme Notta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hey I just wanted to say I had this issue on my 18 6.4 (my first truck thats all mine, love it) and have been prepping for trailer haul. Mechanic friend said it was a combination of front shocks being weak/soft and that causing tire chop up front. Getting new shocks and moving front to rear, hoping that does it, but the way he spoke hes seen the front shocks on the rams cause this before.

Just a little extra anecdotal data for yall.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
36,000 miles....90% towing a 6000 travel trailer. Recently I have a shudder while towing at all speeds. Feels like a tire is out of balance. Feels like I’m driving on a rough road. Also feel it to a much lesser extent when not towing.
I had all four tires rotated and rebalanced. Michelin tires with under 10,000 miles on them.
Truck runs great. No loss of power and doesn’t feel like surging. Feels more like it might be a suspension issue, bad shocks?
Make long trips towing very uncomfortable.

Anyone have similar experience? And solutions?

I have a 2019 with the 6.7 CTD that has shudder from time to time and feels just like you mentioned but it goes away. Service manager at the dealership said he had seen some info recommending swapping to synthetic trans fluid seems to solve the issue and I believe I read that somewhere as well. I am probably going to swap to Redline trans fluid.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's not the TC. I replaced mine with an Edge converter from Moe's and the problem still persists. Hemifever tune didn't resolve it either. According to the head/master tech at the local dealer, "they all do that". Yay.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not the TC. I replaced mine with an Edge converter from Moe's and the problem still persists. Hemifever tune didn't resolve it either. According to the head/master tech at the local dealer, "they all do that". Yay.

Yea well if thats the case Im gonna off the damn thing. As minor as it seems to some people, its drives me frickin’ crazy. I dont think it would be so bad for me if I didnt drive a half ton with the 8 speed all week long. But thats what I want my PW to drive/shift like.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Mine didn't... then it did. It started all at once. Sometimes its worse than others. This is why I don't think it shocks or tires...

Towed my 10k+/- camper up to and over the mountains - it pulled just fine, but 300+ miles of the shudder was just flat out annoying.

Tires at low inflation, tires at max inflation, truck loaded, truck empty, truck towing fairly heavy - shudder.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Definitely not the shocks or tires. Some people claim it's caused by a defective EGR valve. I doubt that but never replaced mine so couldn't say for sure.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Definitely not the shocks or tires. Some people claim it's caused by a defective EGR valve. I doubt that but never replaced mine so couldn't say for sure.

Wouldn't that throw a code?

And that seems to be the answer I'm getting from the dealer- any real issue would throw a code - no code = no diagnosis.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finishing up a cam swap and pulled the EGR while I was in there. Will be very curious to see if this has any impact on the shuddering.

Mgrimm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a slight shudder, and am starting with tires first. I have a forced road balance tomorrow. Hope no one has to go through what you've gone through to figure this out. Keep us posted.

Had the road force balance finally done and that looks to have improved my shudder issue. I purchased the truck used with new Hercules tires on it. Never heard of Hercules before and so far not impressed. The tire shop had to move the tire on rim with three of the tires and said I still have over 50lbs on three of the tires. Not perfect, but better. Need to look at new tires. Will stay alert to other shudder problems. @Jughed's shudder a bit concerning when he got it suddenly at 42K.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Keep us updated!

So have been driving for a few days now with the EGR removed and so far there have been zero occurrences of the shuddering. I'll wait a couple more weeks to call it a success but this is the longest I've ever gone without it happening. There was some TSB on the EGR for my year so I'd suggest others look into that as a possible fix.

It's not particularly hard to remove the EGR setup but I know most others won't to that route. Basically you need a block-off plate for the intake and exhaust, plus a piece of hose to loop the coolant tubes. Of course it will throw codes unless you delete them out with a tuner.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So have been driving for a few days now with the EGR removed and so far there have been zero occurrences of the shuddering. I'll wait a couple more weeks to call it a success but this is the longest I've ever gone without it happening. There was some TSB on the EGR for my year so I'd suggest others look into that as a possible fix.

It's not particularly hard to remove the EGR setup but I know most others won't to that route. Basically you need a block-off plate for the intake and exhaust, plus a piece of hose to loop the coolant tubes. Of course it will throw codes unless you delete them out with a tuner.

Is there a kit to purchase, or did you just compile some parts and pieces to make it work?

Cant wait to here if this indeed stops your shudder issue for good!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is there a kit to purchase, or did you just compile some parts and pieces to make it work?

Cant wait to here if this indeed stops your shudder issue for good!

Yes/no. MMX makes a kit to block off the intake EGR but honestly you could make you own with very little effort. It does look very nice though.
https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-1448-64l-hemi-dodge-ram-egr-blockoff-by-mmx.aspx
EGRIntakePlate.jpg

I made the exhaust plate out of some steel plate using the factory gasket as a template. It appears to be the exact same dimensions as the intake plate so if you're making your own just make two :)
EGRHeaderPlate.jpg

Other then that I just needed a short piece of hose. As mentioned you will throw three or four codes unless you have a tuner to delete. I didn't try plugging the sensors back in to the harness just to see if that would eliminate the codes. Might run a test :)

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Still having the issue.

Had the tires road forced balanced, dropped the spare and tried it in different spots... no change.

Truck just drives like crap.

Mostly at 30-5O MPH, then again at highway speeds. Sometimes when accelerating, sometimes when staying at speed, often when decelerating... and it will continue in neutral sometimes. But it doesn’t always do it.

Problem started acutely - didn’t do it, then did it.

I have no clue what is wrong with this truck, nor does either of the two dealers it’s been to.

Ziploc2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
i have the same problem as Jughed. 3 different shops no one knows. i have more miles but still......

everything from need a new transmission to nothing really wrong to lets load up the parts cannon.

very frustrating.

UPDATE: Mine was Bent driveshaft. weird how stuff like that happens

Changed driveshaft to one piece

Last edited: