2018 dodge ram 1500 made in Mexico

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
I found a 2018 dodge ram 1500 with 50,000 miles that was made in Mexico, but was first sold in CT. Is there any concern about buying this vehicle if it was made in Mexico? Can anyone give me advice what to check before buying this truck? Also the vehicle report doesn't say how long the truck was in CT but should I be worried about rust?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well there where two plants one in Michigan and one in Mexico. An both where sold through the u.s. they are easy to spot if you look for them the gps/satellite antenna. Is mounted on the back of the cab roof for the Michigan trucks an the Mexico ones are mounted on the front of the cab roof . Not sure if there is much difference in quality .

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you look the door tag, you should see two things
The first thing is
3 is the first digit of the VIN, 3 means built in Mexico

the 2nd thing,
at the end of the Production year, the Saltillo Plant usually finishes building all the Heavy Duty Rams by the month of June.

So all 1500 Crew Cabs built in Saltillo will have a production date of late May, June, July, August

The Assembly Plant in Warren Michigan usually have excessive amount of Build Orders left to build.

At Ram Headquarters, they have made the decision in the past to divide up the number of orders, between Saltillo & Warren Plants.
The Saltillo Plant does not have the Metal Stamps to make anything but Crew Cabs & of course Standard Cabs.
They can not build Quad Cabs down there.

Some of the Crew Cab 1500s that are built in Saltillo Mexico, you may notice that the front end suspension & brakes may come with Heavy Duty parts

I have not heard of any 5th Gen Rams being built in Saltillo

Last edited:

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a regular cab that was built in Mexico. I only have 4,600 miles on it now but so far the truck seems pretty solid. No squeaks, rattles etc. My only problem thus far is a minor software issue.

Who knows in today's clown world?? The Mexico made units may be built better than those in Michigan :D.

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
the '17 I bought down here in Arizona was from south of the border. haven't had a single issue with the damn thing, but it does lead a pampered life, it's hardly used as a serious work truck. IMO be more worried about rust condition on a truck from CT than factory of origin.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
According to a poster above and the location of my sat antenna, my 2014 QuadCab Laramie was Michigan built.
I bought it used in Pennsylvania in 2017 with 30k miles on it and still under factory warranty, CPO, and from the dealer that sold it to the 1st owner. They expended the warranty a little for me.
Today it has 102k miles. Only issue was a failure of the fuel sending unit, and the infamous header bolts (1 side)
All else has been routine maintenance.

:shrug: If you like the truck, roll the dice. I did without knowing any of this, been happy ever since.

EDITED TO ADD: Since GTyankee took the time and trouble to post such details I thought I would check and report.
My Manuf Date is 9-14, VIN begins with a "1", and it says "Made in USA" under the VIN.

Last edited:

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a 2018 dodge ram 1500 with 50,000 miles that was made in Mexico, but was first sold in CT. Is there any concern about buying this vehicle if it was made in Mexico? Can anyone give me advice what to check before buying this truck? Also the vehicle report doesn't say how long the truck was in CT but should I be worried about rust?
Really. A Dodge?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 crew cab was built in Mexico. It currently has 71,*** miles and has been a very good vehicle. Build quality is as good as you’ll find on any truck. It’s needed a cruise control steering wheel switch, the funky three way coolant valve and a driver side outside mirror. All were covered under the remaining 3/36K warranty and being a CPO vehicle it had a 7/100K powertrain warranty. Being a 4th Gen Ram it also had the infamous water leak from the third brake light and the rear exhauster vents. Those weren’t covered by warranty but relatively cheap fixes. I would not hesitate to buy a Mexican built Ram.

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
My 2004 was 'built" in mehico, whcih I didn't find out for years...pissed me off...but---I have to honestly say I've been impressed with the thing. Been around the country a few times, parked in 11 states, including cold ones and hot ones...replaced the fuel pump once, at about 80K, Dodge rebuilt the trans at about 70K, and just replaced the OE muffler at 150K. All things considered I'm impressed with the vato's building trucks in cartelland!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I think they build a better truck in Mexico.

MIKESELS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have a '19 Ram 1500 Classic (4th Gen.) Tradesman built in Mexico in October of '18. It's had an easy life so far, only towed with it twice. Bought it new 4 years ago, and has had only one repair, for a faulty window regulator, under warranty. No rattles or squeaks, or any other issues.

Tenbearzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our 2015 Ram R/T was built in Mexico, Antennae front mount, Vin first number is 3. 16k Miles on the truck Never drivin' in the rain, Wa State. Only issue I experienced have been a couple AirBag recalls, parts were slow in obtaining by the dealer, but other than that, love the truck, many nice comments by many folks. Good Luck with your search for a good truck, there are hundreds available. Just be sure, if used, you have a competent mechanic inspect your possible purchase. As far as CT ownership, VERY careful inspection for rust. While in the Military on the East coast, years ago, HEAVY salt on the highways.