2018 Power Wagon on Toyo MT 35x12.5 w/AEV wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Kinda surprised my “35 inch” Toyos measured out at 33.75... Thinking I must be measuring wrong I set the procal to 34 inch as you did. Sure enough my speedo was off the other way ~2 mph... Set it to 33.75 and my speedo is now reading correctly. Not that I really care (they look and perform great) but it’s silly that a tire is more than an inch smaller than the advertised size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s strange — my front was 34” exactly. Did you use something like a paint stir stick balanced across the top of the tire and then measure from that to the ground? Do you have more weight up front like an aftermarket bumper or dual alternators, dual batteries, etc.? Are yours the MTs? The non-MTs in the same size are shorter.

Tires with non-metric measurements are never “true to size” once mounted and on the vehicle. These inch-sized tires are not standardized and vary from brand to brand. Toyos are some of the tallest, with BFG being some of the smallest. A “true” 35” tire is one sold as a 37”. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but that’s how it works.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Since the Toyo Open Country M/T 35 12.50R17 tire size is a tad undersized from a true 35" tire when unmounted, it would be nice to have a 315 75R17 size tire option available for our Power Wagon. It should measure out to be approximately 35.6" and would be a bit closer to a true 35" tire when mounted than their 35 12.50R17.

There are a large choice of tire options available for a 315 75R16 (16 inch diameter wheel) size currently being manufactured by a multitude of different manufacturers. It is equivalent to the heights of most 315 70R17 and 35 12.50R17 sizes. Why then isn't a 315 75R17 size available?

If you buy a metric tire that measures out at or over 35” when mounted on a 2500 truck, that would be a 37” tire, and it’s fitment, power loss, and MPG hit will match what is reported for 37s.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That’s strange — my front was 34” exactly. Did you use something like a paint stir stick balanced across the top of the tire and then measure from that to the ground? Do you have more weight up front like an aftermarket bumper or dual alternators, dual batteries, etc.? Are yours the MTs? The non-MTs in the same size are shorter.

Tires with non-metric measurements are never “true to size” once mounted and on the vehicle. These inch-sized tires are not standardized and vary from brand to brand. Toyos are some of the tallest, with BFG being some of the smallest. A “true” 35” tire is one sold as a 37”. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but that’s how it works.

I in fact did use a long level when measuring. Like stated I even set the procal for 34”, assuming I may be doing something wrong, and the speedo was off per my gps. Changed it to 33.75” and the speedo reads spot on. Either way I am happy. The look and ride great. Haven’t had a chance to take her off road again since my last flat with the Duratracs but I have no doubt they’ll do great. Hopefully I’ll make it out to ocean shores this weekend where you can drive on the beach!

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
This combo is killer...both of your powerwagon setups are the standard now in my opinion...I see that they have the Katla's back in stock. If you were me and doing it now, would you run the Katla's in the satin black finish with 35's or 37's?

Just got these put on yesterday. Really happy with how they ride – balanced up perfectly with no vibes at all. A definite "MT singing" at highway speeds, but not anything I can't live with. So glad to get rid of the 315/70 KO2s –– I'm not sure BFG knows how to consistently make tires that are not out of round.

I'll be adding a Wilco hitch mount spare tire carrier and a full size spare in the next few weeks. The factory spare will have to do for now. The Toyo MT 35x12.5 was just too big to work in the spare tire location, even with most of the air let out. I got it all the way up in there, but it was pushing against/touching both the hitch and the sway bar.

View attachment 134147 View attachment 134148 View attachment 134149 View attachment 134151 View attachment 134150

5620065059152177cf2326938f9b44ac.jpgc1b487011a99e6d6a585718e9da0da07.jpge096e791c1eaf051ff489fe7e06c6f71.jpg

I specifically asked them not to install the screws and did it myself last night. Overall Discount Tire was great. They threw in a used 35 inch KO2 spare for free. They also nicked my wheels a little bit during install so they refunded me the price of one of the Toyos.

I was able to get my TPMS reset today. Set the thresholds to 30 PSI. I have the pressures set to 55 front 50 rear for now and will keep an eye on how they wear. I’m still waiting on my procal to show up.

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Just got these put on yesterday. Really happy with how they ride – balanced up perfectly with no vibes at all. A definite "MT singing" at highway speeds, but not anything I can't live with. So glad to get rid of the 315/70 KO2s –– I'm not sure BFG knows how to consistently make tires that are not out of round.

I'll be adding a Wilco hitch mount spare tire carrier and a full size spare in the next few weeks. The factory spare will have to do for now. The Toyo MT 35x12.5 was just too big to work in the spare tire location, even with most of the air let out. I got it all the way up in there, but it was pushing against/touching both the hitch and the sway bar.

View attachment 134147 View attachment 134148 View attachment 134149 View attachment 134151 View attachment 134150

You were supposed to be in the above comment as well brother...

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This combo is killer...both of your powerwagon setups are the standard now in my opinion...I see that they have the Katla's back in stock. If you were me and doing it now, would you run the Katla's in the satin black finish with 35's or 37's?

The wheels are honestly a toss up to me. Both look great. Ref tire size though, I personally wouldn’t want anything bigger than the 35 without re-gearing.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
You were supposed to be in the above comment as well brother...

To add to what I said by PM, I would probably buy the Kalta wheels in black if I were buying now. They weren't available when I bought mine, and I really liked the Savegres I had on my Wrangler a few years ago. Thinking of buying a second set of five to swap out with Toyo ATs for the winter months.

OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Looks awesome!! Those are the wheels I want to get. Do they have the black in stock now?

You're just up the interstate from me – I bought my RAM there at Lithia Santa Fe last year. Looks like AEV has the black in stock for both the Kalta and Salta RAM wheels.

sweetgrass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
You're just up the interstate from me – I bought my RAM there at Lithia Santa Fe last year. Looks like AEV has the black in stock for both the Kalta and Salta RAM wheels.

Yes I am, and I bought mine in March of this year at Lithia as well. I just went in to demo a PW as I've never driven one or even seen one in person. It was in the color I liked and had all the options I wanted. They made me a deal I couldnt refuse and decided to pull the trigger that day.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I am, and I bought mine in March of this year at Lithia as well. I just went in to demo a PW as I've never driven one or even seen one in person. It was in the color I liked and had all the options I wanted. They made me a deal I couldnt refuse and decided to pull the trigger that day.

Its funny how that happens! Lol

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine

Is this or was it at the time your every day driver? The post dates back to last July. Just trying to figure out how those tires held up, how many miles are on them and all that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Is this or was it at the time your every day driver? The post dates back to last July. Just trying to figure out how those tires held up, how many miles are on them and all that.

Yes, daily driver. About 11K miles and still look like new. No balancing or uneven wear issues. Balanced and rotated once and time to do it again soon. I think next time I will buy the AT version since I try to avoid mud but do need the best snow traction I can get. The muds seem to like to work me over into the ditch in deep snow unless I go to 4L and lock the rear. But that might be the limited-slip rear diff when not locked causing that behavior or just the weight of the vehicle without enough traction – not enough experience to know for sure.

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
G’day. My first post to the forum. Wasn’t sure if I should start a new thread or piggyback on this one. Please forgive if I’ve committed a faux pas.

I’m a button push away from ordering my new ‘19 PW but there is a question that the dealership can’t answer since they haven’t had one on the lot: what is the maximum tire diameter that will fit into the spare puka under the bed? Comes stock with 33” tires but thinking of going up to 35s. Also, will there be any significant loss of torque with the 35s? Thanks.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run 315 70r 17 ko2s. They measure about 34.5 inches and fit but its a tight squeeze. There is a thread around here from someone asking the same question. Think mine or one other was the maximum you can fit without letting air out of the spare. Maybe someone can chime in with that thread.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run 315 70r 17 ko2s. They measure about 34.5 inches and fit but its a tight squeeze. There is a thread around here from someone asking the same question. Think mine or one other was the maximum you can fit without letting air out of the spare. Maybe someone can chime in with that thread.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea most 35’s will fit, but many have to be a little low on air to sneak em in there.

I tossed a set 35x12.5/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s on my wagon with stock gearing. They are a heavy tire for a 35” AT. Its not a gutless wonder now, but it is certainly a noticeable difference compared to stock. Towing, stopping, and just everyday driving is definitely a noticeable difference, but acceptable. MPG’s didnt seem to change at all.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no matter what i did, i couldnt make a 35 mastercraft mxt fit under the bed. i didnt try airing it down however. i just carried the tire in the back of the bed. ive never kept track of mpg but i see no way a larger heavier tire wont decrease mpg atleast alittle bit. the engine still has plenty of power with 35" tires imo

MDethloff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
G’day. My first post to the forum. Wasn’t sure if I should start a new thread or piggyback on this one. Please forgive if I’ve committed a faux pas.

I’m a button push away from ordering my new ‘19 PW but there is a question that the dealership can’t answer since they haven’t had one on the lot: what is the maximum tire diameter that will fit into the spare puka under the bed? Comes stock with 33” tires but thinking of going up to 35s. Also, will there be any significant loss of torque with the 35s? Thanks.

On the 14-18 trucks we can fit a 35" spare tire under the bed by deflating it to around 20psi and stuffing it against the tow hitch, with minor rubbing against the rear trackbar. The 19's have some changes and I don't know if that rear layout is exactly the same. You'd need to take a peek under one to see how much room there is around the spare that is sitting under there to see if upping to a 35 would work. You cannot go beyond a 35" tire in the stock spare location unless they have made some major changes to the rear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334