2018 Power Wagon Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ljones135

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi e-Torque
Hey,

I've got issues with the factory Warn 12,000lb winch on my 2018 Power Wagon. It doesn't do anything, no relays clicking or attempting to turn the drum. The cable has been out and back in once since new. I've done a couple of tests on the remote and there seems to be continuity where there should be. The connections at the battery have been cleaned as well as the socket behind the bumper. Can the remote and relays go bad just sitting there? I'm not wanting to spend my money at the dealership, last resort only.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would not think the relays woul fail just sitting.

I just replaced the cable on my '16 with a rope, actually a new bumper (finally), and in the process I did the rope, fairlead, etc. I learned mine is a little finicky in a couple areas.

Same as you, tested the controller for continuity, while switched, cleaned both sides of the connection, read the fuse box lid at least five times, then started milling about looking for an isolated fuse because mine was dead. No fuse and no click of the relays in either direction. I was getting ready to drop the winch for easier access and I thought one more try. Plugged the controller back in and wiggled the stubborn thing in every direction and finally heard the click if a relay. No drum movement but I was happy to hear the relay. Ecen if it would only click in the spool up direction.

My connector cannot be pushed all the way in or it does work. I have back it out approx 1/16" and then push it passenger or its quiet as a dead winch can be.
The next item which I found to be kinda unusual was my battery showed decent voltage while not running, 12.2v maybe, and would easily start the truck, but would not pull the relays in. I was just trying to bump rotation for whatever reason so I didnt start the truck. Turned out that the 12.2v was a little soft, battery charger showed it to be 70%. It would fire the hemi but would not actuate a relay??
But with it running and wiggle the connector around redicoulous like, it rolled the drum in both direction like all it needed was someone to push the button correctly.

A rather huge pain in the ass for such a simple issue. I was extremely grateful I didn't find all that after putting winch on the bench for testing.
Mine has not been used but 3 or 4 times in 4 years.

Maybe something in there will help.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

OP
OP
ljones135

ljones135

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi e-Torque
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the battery. I'll look at it a little more closely this weekend.

OP
OP
ljones135

ljones135

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi e-Torque
I would not think the relays woul fail just sitting.

I just replaced the cable on my '16 with a rope, actually a new bumper (finally), and in the process I did the rope, fairlead, etc. I learned mine is a little finicky in a couple areas.

Same as you, tested the controller for continuity, while switched, cleaned both sides of the connection, read the fuse box lid at least five times, then started milling about looking for an isolated fuse because mine was dead. No fuse and no click of the relays in either direction. I was getting ready to drop the winch for easier access and I thought one more try. Plugged the controller back in and wiggled the stubborn thing in every direction and finally heard the click if a relay. No drum movement but I was happy to hear the relay. Ecen if it would only click in the spool up direction.

My connector cannot be pushed all the way in or it does work. I have back it out approx 1/16" and then push it passenger or its quiet as a dead winch can be.
The next item which I found to be kinda unusual was my battery showed decent voltage while not running, 12.2v maybe, and would easily start the truck, but would not pull the relays in. I was just trying to bump rotation for whatever reason so I didnt start the truck. Turned out that the 12.2v was a little soft, battery charger showed it to be 70%. It would fire the hemi but would not actuate a relay??
But with it running and wiggle the connector around redicoulous like, it rolled the drum in both direction like all it needed was someone to push the button correctly.

A rather huge pain in the ass for such a simple issue. I was extremely grateful I didn't find all that after putting winch on the bench for testing.
Mine has not been used but 3 or 4 times in 4 years.

Maybe something in there will help.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................
The problem was in the socket for the pigtail to the winch. The 12V pin's socket had been completely eaten by corrosion. $100.00 part, no labor, easy fix!

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The problem was in the socket for the pigtail to the winch. The 12V pin's socket had been completely eaten by corrosion. $100.00 part, no labor, easy fix!
Happen to have a part number or link?