2018 ram 1500 with 8.4 uconnect delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it sounds like both of you were over the miles. That apparently is their cutoff. Many of us have been out in years but under mileage and it's been covered. Regarding used, mine was considered "certified pre-owned" which may have made a difference.

I certainly understand your frustration and I'm sorry that you're not able to receive the same service. The issue is related to the radio and not the truck. Check around and you'll find that out quickly that many other vehicle lines are experiencing the same delaminating issue.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I certainly understand your frustration and I'm sorry that you're not able to receive the same service. The issue is related to the radio and not the truck. Check around and you'll find that out quickly that many other vehicle lines are experiencing the same delaminating issue.

Rav3ncroft, Where are you in IN ? I may want to try the dealer you are using. My screen just shuts down and then starts back up . I figured it is just some sort of reset system for updates but would like to look into it with a dealer that knows what they are doing. Most dealership "mechanics" are nothing more than parts changers and have no clue how to actually track down a problem and repair it. Thanks

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What we've experienced is not delaminating of a screen protector and I can assure you the fix isn't $10. Replacement of the screen at a dealer is around $1200.

Bamabowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500
Engine
I have a 2018 3500 with the uconnect and mine is doing the same thing. I have 132,000 miles but haven't contacted Dodge yet. Let me know how to contact them and this will add another problem radio in the mix.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to do this on the wife's 2015 Caddy (CUE screen). Dealer wanted $1500, new screen was $140, instructions on You-tube for free. No special tools, just 2 hrs of time. Not sure if it's possible to replace the screen on the U-Connect though...

Russ

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is possible but the supply of screens on ebay typically have some damage from what others have received/posted.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 3500 with the uconnect and mine is doing the same thing. I have 132,000 miles but haven't contacted Dodge yet. Let me know how to contact them and this will add another problem radio in the mix.

Based on feedback from others I doubt your radio would be covered under the 3/36. You might be able to pick up radio from a forum member though.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You're judging the whole truck line of tens of thousands of trucks ...and your own truck on two isolated incidences that most people don't experience ...and letting it ruin your ownership experience. I know a $1000 bill tends to do that, but Rams are quite nice trucks on the whole. Class-leading many critics have suggested (including pretty unanimous truck of the year awards and things like that). Obviously any mechanical device with thousands of parts, can experience a few failures.

How about re-doubling your efforts, try other dealerships and continue talking to the folks at Ramcares? Get the area manager involved. Continue to be civil. Explain how you love Rams and want to be a long-time ram customer. Drag it out. Sometimes the person who comes out ahead is the one who wears the other down the longest/most. Drag it out and keep the conversation going. The fact that some have gotten theirs replaced outside of warranty should give hope.
I would beg to differ on the screen delamintating being an isolated incident. This thread alone has several people who have experienced this issue including myself. The are at least 3 other threads like this on these forums with multipole folks chiming in that their screen is doing the same thing.

knightsga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey new to the forum here. I purchased a 2018 ram 1500 big horn with the 8.4 uconnect system. The screen is now halfway delaminated and going crazy on its own. Tried the dealer and tried ram cares on here. I've been told so far to bite the bullet and pay a grand to fix this problem that I am sure they know is on their end. The truck is out of warranty due to mileage so warranty is being refused and local dealer claim they never see this. ( jeff wyler in Springfield are crooks unfortunately). If I go the infotainment route (I will not give the dealer or ram another dollar of my money) will I retain the uconnect features?
I have the same problem with my 2018 Ram Laramie. The screen is now delaminating across the top and down the sides. I wish I knew how to solve the problem also.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2018 As well 53k miles and I’ve got the delamination happening as well. Radio is still functioning fine. Keeping an eye on it going forward for sure.

Knee Deep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same here, 2018 with 67k miles. Clock message goes crazy from time to time.43CCFDCF-1347-4BD4-9F11-F6733EDB4427.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep that's exactly what happens. Seams like it's mostly limited to the 2018s also. I wish I would've recorded the Temps that the screen got up to. Anyone ever try to?

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The real problem seems to be the LOCA (Liquid Optical Clear Adhesive) that was used to adhere the glass to the digitizer (LCD). It truly never setup properly which requires a UV cure. High heat would certainly not help if the adhesive never fully cured.

You can learn more about LOCA at the sites below if you're interested.

I'm not an expert nor do I claim to be one. The information above is what I came across while researching the delaminating issue with my radio.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The real problem seems to be the LOCA (Liquid Optical Clear Adhesive) that was used to adhere the glass to the digitizer (LCD). It truly never setup properly which requires a UV cure. High heat would certainly not help if the adhesive never fully cured.

You can learn more about LOCA at the sites below if you're interested.

I'm not an expert nor do I claim to be one. The information above is what I came across while researching the delaminating issue with my radio.
Yup, this is what happens with the GM CUE screens. There are numerous vendors for new screens, most of dubious quality. Gotta be careful when selecting a replacement.

Russ

Trucker2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
About these radios, people are calling it "delamination" or it's a screen protector. Both of these are untrue. The factory radios don't come with a screen protector similar to a cell phone but you can buy them and put it on, they are very thin and cheap to replace. From my investigating, because my radio is doing the same thing, what is happening is the LOCA (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) which is cured with UV light that was used to bond the Digitizer ie touchscreen on top of the LCD screen is getting too hot and is actually seeping out the bottom of the radio screen assembly. When i took my radio out to look at it on both bottom corners of the screen was balls of gooey clear sticky glue. After reading up about these radios, mine is a Panasonic 8.5, they were assembled in Mexico, the screen assemblies are made by LG probably in China. The glue has a set value of temperatures to be stable in and it's evident that a closed vehicle gets very hot and pushes the temp way past the stable point so the glue just kinda melts. It runs out the bottom and the air gaps left behind are most always at the top and sides and where the air gap and glue that is still intact meet on your screen that is where all the button pushing is going on by itself. I am pretty sure it's worse if you live in the south and have a dark colored vehicle. I have thought about repairing mine, there are a few videos on youtube that show someone removing a cracked touchscreen and installing a new one and phone repair videos too which is basically the same thing except smaller scale. Problem is the touchscreen is thin and delicate and removing it without cracking it is tricky. Phone repair people use specially heated pads and screen holder to warm up the screen assy then use a thin wire to slice between the screens and pull them apart. Then you have to remove all the old glue then reassemble with new glue. My thought on this was to reassemble without the glue but use the thin tapes that most early screen assemblies used as it only went around the edge of the screen and left a air gap between the screens. The LOCA glue was used because it cut out the screen glare from early radios and as the screens got bigger the glare was more noticeable to engineers, i guess. My other thought on repair was to seal up all the gaps around the edges except the top and reintroduce some LOCA glue to fill all the air-filled areas and cure it and see what happens to all the button pushing. My gap line is right across all my radio station buttons so channel surfing is out. I preset all my buttons to one station so i can at least listen to the radio. I think i will try the glue adding first as it would be the cheapest fix and most of the time the simplest fixes usually work the best we will see. If it does work I'll make a new post about it for sure. 20200323_165835.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep mine is a Panasonic also. It also states that the date of manufacture is September 2017

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...wait, has anyone bought a replacement screen off ebay or a place like that? I mean, if it's LG (??). I bought a couple laptop LCD's (upgraded to higher resolution). They weren't that much money (about $100) and have worked great. Not touch-screen though. Hard to believe there isn't a cheaper alternative from like a Chinese seller or something.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
About these radios, people are calling it "delamination" or it's a screen protector. Both of these are untrue. The factory radios don't come with a screen protector similar to a cell phone but you can buy them and put it on, they are very thin and cheap to replace. From my investigating, because my radio is doing the same thing, what is happening is the LOCA (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) which is cured with UV light that was used to bond the Digitizer ie touchscreen on top of the LCD screen is getting too hot and is actually seeping out the bottom of the radio screen assembly. When i took my radio out to look at it on both bottom corners of the screen was balls of gooey clear sticky glue. After reading up about these radios, mine is a Panasonic 8.5, they were assembled in Mexico, the screen assemblies are made by LG probably in China. The glue has a set value of temperatures to be stable in and it's evident that a closed vehicle gets very hot and pushes the temp way past the stable point so the glue just kinda melts. It runs out the bottom and the air gaps left behind are most always at the top and sides and where the air gap and glue that is still intact meet on your screen that is where all the button pushing is going on by itself. I am pretty sure it's worse if you live in the south and have a dark colored vehicle. I have thought about repairing mine, there are a few videos on youtube that show someone removing a cracked touchscreen and installing a new one and phone repair videos too which is basically the same thing except smaller scale. Problem is the touchscreen is thin and delicate and removing it without cracking it is tricky. Phone repair people use specially heated pads and screen holder to warm up the screen assy then use a thin wire to slice between the screens and pull them apart. Then you have to remove all the old glue then reassemble with new glue. My thought on this was to reassemble without the glue but use the thin tapes that most early screen assemblies used as it only went around the edge of the screen and left a air gap between the screens. The LOCA glue was used because it cut out the screen glare from early radios and as the screens got bigger the glare was more noticeable to engineers, i guess. My other thought on repair was to seal up all the gaps around the edges except the top and reintroduce some LOCA glue to fill all the air-filled areas and cure it and see what happens to all the button pushing. My gap line is right across all my radio station buttons so channel surfing is out. I preset all my buttons to one station so i can at least listen to the radio. I think i will try the glue adding first as it would be the cheapest fix and most of the time the simplest fixes usually work the best we will see. If it does work I'll make a new post about it for sure. View attachment 471112

It should be rather easy to repair that.

I would say, if you are careful. add some acetone on 'wire' (you need to be extra careful, but it does work the best)

Using playing cards work really well, and less chance of breaking it.

Depending the loca glue they used. wd40 could work as well.

Other option, as long as it's still working. Instead of taking it off. carefully apply more glue in damaged area.
some people have use small paint brushes to do it. with roller and UV.

Worth trying vs having to buy whole unit.

In my view, the reason some of you might be having this issue, is the Sun. With UV PhotoInitiators, they keep curing over time.
Angle of the display, and If you drive, or leave your truck in Sun for hours. Over time, it will keep curing.

Just so you know, just cause it might have been done in Mexico doesn't really matter. It's not 'person' thing.
Whole process is done high-end automated Machines, usually done in Class 1000 clean room.
Also possible either glue or machine was had an issue, but would be extremely rare.