2018 Ram 2500 8.4 Uconnect Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hello all, I hope someone can give me some opinions on this problem I've found myself in.

Last year around September, I noticed my NAV not showing correct location, and compass was terribly inaccurate. Also, my clock was not reading correct time. I figured I'd get it into the dealer at some point, but never got around to it last year.

Fast forward to today, I made an appointment to have it looked at. In my research, I figured I would need an upgrade to 8.45.01 to solve this problem. I tried using the Uconnect website to update, but when I typed my VIN in, it says there were no software updates available.

Long story short, the dealer supplied me with Case Number: S2008000141, in which states the if the ICCID and MSISDN numbers in dealer mode are blank, a new radio head unit must be ordered. Of course, they are missing in the dealer mode, and I verified for myself.

Unfortunately, my bumper to bumper warranty ran out in December of 2020, so I would be on the hook for a $1600.00 (Canadian) Radio. Ouch.

If I must purchase a new radio, are there better FACTORY UCONNECT options out there? I do not want an aftermarket brand radio for various reasons.

Ill be calling Chrysler of Canada on Monday, just to see if they can do anything to help, as I ordered this truck brand new and it only has 43,545 Kilometers on it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/information!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello all, I hope someone can give me some opinions on this problem I've found myself in.

Last year around September, I noticed my NAV not showing correct location, and compass was terribly inaccurate. Also, my clock was not reading correct time. I figured I'd get it into the dealer at some point, but never got around to it last year.

Fast forward to today, I made an appointment to have it looked at. In my research, I figured I would need an upgrade to 8.45.01 to solve this problem. I tried using the Uconnect website to update, but when I typed my VIN in, it says there were no software updates available.

Long story short, the dealer supplied me with Case Number: S2008000141, in which states the if the ICCID and MSISDN numbers in dealer mode are blank, a new radio head unit must be ordered. Of course, they are missing in the dealer mode, and I verified for myself.

Unfortunately, my bumper to bumper warranty ran out in December of 2020, so I would be on the hook for a $1600.00 (Canadian) Radio. Ouch.

If I must purchase a new radio, are there better FACTORY UCONNECT options out there? I do not want an aftermarket brand radio for various reasons.

Ill be calling Chrysler of Canada on Monday, just to see if they can do anything to help, as I ordered this truck brand new and it only has 43,545 Kilometers on it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/information!
What year is your truck?

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Same truck in signature. 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Laramie.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
One day last year my GPS suddenly started showing me about 150 miles away from where I was. Fortunately mine was still under warranty and they had to replace my unit

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hmm sounds exact same as what mine is doing, although my compass is completely incorrect in its reading as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace this thing. Kind of disappointing I remember figuring to pay extra to get the NAV when I ordered the truck, now I've got to pay again to get it working after 4 years or so.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Same truck in signature. 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Laramie.
Apologies, I don't see a signature. If you don't wish to spend any money you can plug your phone into the truck's USB hub and use its Navigation apps on your UConnect screen.

Its also possible that your radio's firmware is out of date and an update could correct your issue.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If he has a 18 2500 shouldn't it have a uaq? If so it shouldn't be affected
by the ra4 nav error.if it is a ra4 just download the 18.45 firmware from the board and update the radio yourself

Fowlsuds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 too with different issues (main reason I joined this site) 8 called chrystler warranty hoping for some help and didn’t get any. I have 41k miles. My screen looks like it has a bubble on it. Randomly asks if I want to adjust the clock time, when connected to Bluetooth it’ll randomly switch to aux, make phone calls to my contacts, change radio stations or skip songs if using pandora and more. They said I was too far out of warranty.

has anyone changed out or had their screen changed out on their 8.4? I was searching for radios the other day and replacement screens came up on Amazon. If they‘re good, I’d rather spend the $150 for an aftermarket screen than the $2k the dealership wants for a new radio.

According to some quick google research this is a known issue with their infotainment centers they’re not backing.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2018 too with different issues (main reason I joined this site) 8 called chrystler warranty hoping for some help and didn’t get any. I have 41k miles. My screen looks like it has a bubble on it. Randomly asks if I want to adjust the clock time, when connected to Bluetooth it’ll randomly switch to aux, make phone calls to my contacts, change radio stations or skip songs if using pandora and more. They said I was too far out of warranty.

has anyone changed out or had their screen changed out on their 8.4? I was searching for radios the other day and replacement screens came up on Amazon. If they‘re good, I’d rather spend the $150 for an aftermarket screen than the $2k the dealership wants for a new radio.

According to some quick google research this is a known issue with their infotainment centers they’re not backing.
Some have been helped. Your screen is delaminating and has "ghost touches". A screen replacement will fix the issue but first reach out to @RamCares to see if they can get this covered by Ram...some are having refurbished radios installed by dealers for around $600-$700 out of warranty.

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well, just to update on this situation:

I made a polite phone call to Chrysler of Canada, and talked to a very nice case manager. She contacted the dealer I had diagnose the problem, and after a few days, the dealer had contacted me to tell me Chrysler of Canada was "goodwill" replacing my radio.

To be clear, I AM out of warranty (since December 2020), but the truck has very low mileage. I didn't have to twist any arms, and I have an appointment on this upcoming Wednesday to have it replaced. I'm extremely happy about this.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I made a polite phone call to Chrysler of Canada, and talked to a very nice case manager. She contacted the dealer I had diagnose the problem, and after a few days, the dealer had contacted me to tell me Chrysler of Canada was "goodwill" replacing my radio.

To be clear, I AM out of warranty (since December 2020), but the truck has very low mileage. I didn't have to twist any arms, and I have an appointment on this upcoming Wednesday to have it replaced. I'm extremely happy about this.
That's great to hear! Thanks for the update. I keep forgetting that RamCares probably can only help US customers.

pampaints2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
If he has a 18 2500 shouldn't it have a uaq? If so it shouldn't be affected
by the ra4 nav error.if it is a ra4 just download the 18.45 firmware from the board and update the radio yourself
Can you tell me where I would find the firmware to be able to download it?

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mpgrimm has a post it may even be a sticky that says 8.4 notes it has a link to download the file.he also has one that says 18.45 rollover.it should be In the 4th gen day or electronics section

John Sabatula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My screen periodically just goes off and comes back on in a few seconds. Usually just goes out totally black screen and then reboots. The dealer can never reproduce this so wont change anything. Just yesterday the screen went off and the screen turned blue 1st time for the blue screen happened backing up. I'm hoping the screen dies before the warranty is up. Was thinking about getting a cam and have it setup watching the radio, just to show the dealer.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My screen periodically just goes off and comes back on in a few seconds. Usually just goes out totally black screen and then reboots. The dealer can never reproduce this so wont change anything. Just yesterday the screen went off and the screen turned blue 1st time for the blue screen happened backing up. I'm hoping the screen dies before the warranty is up. Was thinking about getting a cam and have it setup watching the radio, just to show the dealer.
Do you have a center jumpseat by chance?

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

You are very lucky - hope you get the right replacement-

OP
OP
R

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I hope its correct. They replaced the radio, and the ONLY issue I've got, is my iPod Nano, which I was using in a USB port to play songs from no longer works.

I dug a bit into this, and apparently its Apple not supporting the older iPods, on the newer radios. Go figure.

I now just use an old iPhone for the same function.