2018 Ram 2500 Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayelee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2018 ram 2500 6.4 hemi knocking I think I'm not sure I did a lifter replacement and relapped the valves for my hemi tick to go away now for a new noise to come up

I have a video attached

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Questions: Was the engine quiet initially, after doing the work ..like driving it around a few days/weeks? Or did the noise occur after start-up (after the work)? Did you replace or do anything with the lifters during the work?

I guess if it were my vehicle, I'd try to isolate the sound better. Usually bottom end and rods will knock more under different revving conditions (there's videos how to determine). I'd probably get a stethescope or wood dowel (to the ear) -- I'm a wood dowel guy ...and probe around the engine (safely) and try to isolate the sound before pulling off the valve covers to have a look-see.

OP
OP
R

rayelee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Questions: Was the engine quiet initially, after doing the work ..like driving it around a few days/weeks? Or did the noise occur after start-up (after the work)? Did you replace or do anything with the lifters during the work?

I guess if it were my vehicle, I'd try to isolate the sound better. Usually bottom end and rods will knock more under different revving conditions (there's videos how to determine). I'd probably get a stethescope or wood dowel (to the ear) -- I'm a wood dowel guy ...and probe around the engine (safely) and try to isolate the sound before pulling off the valve covers to have a look-see.
I replaced the lifters, and the noise started at start-up. I will be getting a sethescope to help me isolate the sound better

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long have you let it run? What's your oil pressure look like (cold/warm)?

You're not alone:

What head gasket did you use?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try doing some google searches of you symptioms...there are a lot of Hemi knock/tic posts after lifter replacement.