2018 Ram 3500 OEM bed lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Hi am new to these type of information type websites. Recently traded Ford F250 superduty for 2018 Ram 3500 Tradesman 6.4L Hemi DRW. My question after doing quite alot of reserch I installed the OEM bed lighting in truck and activated with AlphaObd. Then found that the is a switch that controls them from a switch also under Driver Side Light. The truck had pigtails with connectors all ready for lights. what I am needing info on the switch wiring? found another pigtail attached to one on drivers side but no connector attached. So i took the harness that came with the light cut off connector and attached it to pig tail. I purchased the switch for the light and am wonder if that pigtail is correctly attached at The right pin on BCM? I did hook a meter to connector verified had 12volt approx the lights came on but went a way when lights timed out. Does that sound right for the operation of that connector when i plug the switch into how will it get power if voltage isn't present all the time? Thanks for any help or explantation.

Last edited:

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Your truck has the wiring for the LED bed lights pre installed?

OP
OP
littlebiscuit

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yes the wires were there with pigtales and connectors for the lights plug and play. But There was 2 other wires no connector heat shrinked and taped to driver side light. I used connector from wire harness that came with the light package cut it off and spliced in to the 2 wires in that bundle. They were only hot while lights were on. Measured 12volts. How does work when I plug the oem switch into connector when I get it if it doesn't have 12volts sitting ther e all the time?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Yes the wires were there with pigtales and connectors for the lights plug and play. But There was 2 other wires no connector heat shrinked and taped to driver side light. I used connector from wire harness that came with the light package cut it off and spliced in to the 2 wires in that bundle. They were only hot while lights were on. Measured 12volts. How does work when I plug the oem switch into connector when I get it if it doesn't have 12volts sitting ther e all the time?
To be honest I don't have an answer for you, I'm not the best with electrical stuff. I have a bunch of stuff I know is pre wired but not hooked up especially in the engine compartment and under my steering wheel column by the BCM. I can see the ends of wires and connection just dangling. It'd be nice if there was a site that told you all of the things that are pre wired but not hooked up to see what you can add on by yourself, kind of like how all HD trucks have the wiring for OEM trailer brake controller but some don't have it installed so you can easily just put in the brake controller yourself and activate it with alpha or have dealer flash code.

OP
OP
littlebiscuit

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I agree I just do alot of research what I want to do then go to you tube get an idea what wires are need or if I need to run them.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little biscuits, the 2 wires that are attached to the drivers tail light, is somebody hack for getting some trailer lights working. If you have the bed light pig tails already plugged in, the switch should already be installed.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reading your post again, are you saying there is or you wanting to put a switch in the bed by the tailgate?

OP
OP
littlebiscuit

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The wires are in the harness with bed lights not tail light harness.

OP
OP
littlebiscuit

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
They wires read 12 volts when the light are on but when they go off the voltage goes away. So was not sure if those were the extra wires for the switch.

OP
OP
littlebiscuit

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
To everyone who commented on this post thanks. Everything worked out turns all wires under bed were all factory for the cargo bed lights. I did order wrong light kit but luckily I didn't need it. The wires that were wired in the truck with connector was for the switch. Still don't no why there was no connector attached but easy fix. Switch works as advertised. Even turns the third brake light on and off with cargo switch. Guess sends a ground to computer and activates 12v from computer to turn on lights and visa versa to turn them off at switch. Still works when you unlock and open doors and a light switch in cab. Thanks again everyone.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
To everyone who commented on this post thanks. Everything worked out turns all wires under bed were all factory for the cargo bed lights. I did order wrong light kit but luckily I didn't need it. The wires that were wired in the truck with connector was for the switch. Still don't no why there was no connector attached but easy fix. Switch works as advertised. Even turns the third brake light on and off with cargo switch. Guess sends a ground to computer and activates 12v from computer to turn on lights and visa versa to turn them off at switch. Still works when you unlock and open doors and a light switch in cab. Thanks again everyone.
Do you have some pictures of what you did? I’d like to see if my 2018 has the same wiring set up

OP
OP
littlebiscuit

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Hey gordo give a chance to get you some pictures. I work nights but will see how fast I can get them for you.

OP
OP
littlebiscuit

littlebiscuit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Hey gordo2212 hopefully this helps. I also installed light under hood if yours didn't come with it.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
01878DEC-A95C-4E5F-9082-C8C7CB0A88B5.jpegIs this the hook up for the OEM LED bed lights you had? I was wondering what this wire was for.

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to do this. I need to find part numbers and see if the wires are already pre installed.