2018 Ram 4x4 diesel - "service anti-lock brake system"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan Ader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l diesel
I have a relatively new 2018 Ram 3500 4x4 with a 6.7l diesel. This morning while driving the truck went over a bridge expander bump and now I am getting two errors: 1) Service anti-lock braking system with the ABS light on; 2) Service electronic brake system with the traction control light lit. The lights and notice come on then go off for a few minutes then back on again. I am traveling away from home for Thanksgiving so I am hoping I can drive this home (about 8 hours away). The truck seems to be running and braking ok. Any guidance or advise until I can get to a dealer? I have 7,000 miles on it.

This is very reminiscent of another issue I had when I went over some pot holes and the "service the 4 wheel drive system" light came on. I restarted the truck and the light went out and did not come back on.

I appreciate any comments on the problems above.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well ABS and traction control are on the same fuse. Maybe check that with a test light just so you can say you did it.

Process of elimination.

Is there a spot you can test to see if your ABS or traction control works?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a relatively new 2018 Ram 3500 4x4 with a 6.7l diesel. This morning while driving the truck went over a bridge expander bump and now I am getting two errors: 1) Service anti-lock braking system with the ABS light on; 2) Service electronic brake system with the traction control light lit. The lights and notice come on then go off for a few minutes then back on again. I am traveling away from home for Thanksgiving so I am hoping I can drive this home (about 8 hours away). The truck seems to be running and braking ok. Any guidance or advise until I can get to a dealer? I have 7,000 miles on it.

This is very reminiscent of another issue I had when I went over some pot holes and the "service the 4 wheel drive system" light came on. I restarted the truck and the light went out and did not come back on.

I appreciate any comments on the problems above.

Hi Alan,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are in need of any additional support when you do address this with your dealer, our team is just a private message away and more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had that problem after the dealer update/flashed the truck. They forgot to calibrate something. Took it back and they resolved it.

OP
OP
A

Alan Ader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l diesel
k. I opened he fuse box and what I found is that all of the 30 or 40 amp fuses (square colorful plastic fuses) needed to be pushed in which I did until the fuses clicked. Is it normal for these fuses to ride this way or were they not pushed in properly? Did I do something wrong by pushing them in until they clicked. Driving the truck yesterday and today after pushing these in, I did NOT get the error.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
k. I opened he fuse box and what I found is that all of the 30 or 40 amp fuses (square colorful plastic fuses) needed to be pushed in which I did until the fuses clicked. Is it normal for these fuses to ride this way or were they not pushed in properly? Did I do something wrong by pushing them in until they clicked. Driving the truck yesterday and today after pushing these in, I did NOT get the error.

It's hard to say how they ended up that way. Does sound like they weren't properly seated. I'd find it hard to believe that they'd all pop loose after hitting a few bumps.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

OP
OP
A

Alan Ader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l diesel
Continued to have issues with the service antilock braking and service electronic braking lights. At the dealer now. They are replacing the ABS Hydraulic Control module. They also said my issue with the Service 4 wheel drive light is related. We shall see...

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Continued to have issues with the service antilock braking and service electronic braking lights. At the dealer now. They are replacing the ABS Hydraulic Control module. They also said my issue with the Service 4 wheel drive light is related. We shall see...

Alan,

How did that repair work out for you? I just started receiving the same error messages on my 2017 Ram 2500. It comes and goes at very random intervals (i.e., smooth or bumpy (most of NY state) roads, cold or warm startup, stability control/exhaust brake/Tow Haul on and off, towing or not towing), and disengages the cruise control when it happens. I have tried every combination I can think of.

When it first happened last week, I was ~15 miles from the dealership, so I called them. They advised bringing it in so they could possibly read the codes, but the error messages went away before I arrived there, so no codes showed up. I am waiting for it to become a more common (less intermittent) problem before taking it back in.

John Sabatula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My trucks sitting at the dealer now for this the dealer can't get the parts said a week or 2 before they come in. Really Kinda of sucks not having my truck.

Seems to me when you hit bumps the light would trip, but eventually just stayed on. The cruise does not work either when the light is on.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Update: I decided the hang the ol' Innova 3160B on the truck's OBD2 port, but it does not read long-stored ABS codes (may read and briefly display the codes as they are occurring...not sure, but worth a try). Did a ~250-mile round trip, almost all towing the camper, and no such messages appeared on the instrument cluster. Everything worked perfectly. I figured thew problem may have just resolved independently and gone away (not likely), or it had something to do with the new pair of batteries I installed two days ago (before the trip - another story altogether)... maybe being "off batteries" for an hour would cause a sufficient reset of the system, followed by a relearning of sorts (also not likely, but I'm game for most anything). I did notice an extremely brief error message on the instrument display when I started the engine after the new batteries went in... probably nothing, and it did not happen again throughout that trip.

Meanwhile, the trusty old Innova is of little or no help at this point, and I will continue to await an eventual and constant return of the problem that will show up for the dealer's "box".

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I think most current era Ram HDs, gasser or diesel, are plagued with this and others, e.g. 4WD shift in progress, service 4WD soon, and traction control. On the Power Wagon, most appear to have all this tied to the transfer case position sensor failing or failed. Like a cascade effect. I don't know if it's true, but when I took my wagon in for these warnings, all the dealer did was re-flash it and noting could not duplicate customer compliant. I eventually replaced the TCPS and so far the warnings have not reappeared. This may not be of any relevance to your situation

John Sabatula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The abs module was bad in my truck, dealer fixed and the computer isn't barking now. Time will tell my cruise control does work now too.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Update: Progress is being made. The truck is at the dealership for replacement of the hydraulic module. I went there yesterday and they "read" the error codes... printed out what seemed like a bazillion of them. Their tech read them again today and the part has been ordered for next day delivery. Looking forward to having this fixed. By the way, I found out that being "off battery" did not erase the error codes.

As expected, the dealership peepz have been really fantastic with all of this.

Another update: The truck is now back home and fixed. They replaced the HCU, bled the brake system, and thoroughly road tested it. I am very impressed with their work, and this is right up there as well. :)

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had the same problem with my 2500 and had the same repairs done. Service writer said they were having to replace a lot of Hydraulic Control Units on the 18’s. Hope it solves some of my other electrical issues since they had to do some programming.

Noblesfarms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2018
Engine
My 2018 3500 6.7 37000miles is at dealer with:
Transmission wiring harness short(4th trip)
Service abs and electric brake light
Whistling ac/air box
4wd shifting trying to occur light.
My truck will be a classic before I get it back. I’m looking to trade.

Runner06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I am out of warranty on my 2018 Ram 6.7 3500 limited! Same electrical issues ABS/Traction control seems like this is a common problem
along with the u connect screen delaminating, awesome for a 80,000.00 truck! My durango hemi never had any issues! pretty unhappy that this is going to cost me a bunch of money!

Jeff_S1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just replaced my ABS Hydraulic unit about 2 weeks ago on my '17 2500. I was going to do both the HCU and ABS controller, but found the controller is on restriction from FCA. The HCU appears to have been the fix. Also did a brake fluid flush since I had to bleed everything anyway.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I am out of warranty on my 2018 Ram 6.7 3500 limited! Same electrical issues ABS/Traction control seems like this is a common problem
along with the u connect screen delaminating, awesome for a 80,000.00 truck! My durango hemi never had any issues! pretty unhappy that this is going to cost me a bunch of money!

I apologize for the frustration, @Runner06. Please do not hesitate to send us a private message with additional details of your situation, as we are more than willing to learn more to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

Brad S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l v8
I had this exact same problem with my truck a while back. I had the ABS and traction control warning light come on as well as the loss of cruise control. I replaced my wheel speed sensors and it persisted. Turns out my wheel bearing pack was going out. One I replaced that everything went back to normal.