2018 Ram 4x4 diesel - "service anti-lock brake system"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Bartruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Update: I decided the hang the ol' Innova 3160B on the truck's OBD2 port, but it does not read long-stored ABS codes (may read and briefly display the codes as they are occurring...not sure, but worth a try). Did a ~250-mile round trip, almost all towing the camper, and no such messages appeared on the instrument cluster. Everything worked perfectly. I figured thew problem may have just resolved independently and gone away (not likely), or it had something to do with the new pair of batteries I installed two days ago (before the trip - another story altogether)... maybe being "off batteries" for an hour would cause a sufficient reset of the system, followed by a relearning of sorts (also not likely, but I'm game for most anything). I did notice an extremely brief error message on the instrument display when I started the engine after the new batteries went in... probably nothing, and it did not happen again throughout that trip.

Meanwhile, the trusty old Innova is of little or no help at this point, and I will continue to await an eventual and constant return of the problem that will show up for the dealer's "box".

William Bartruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Alan, I am having the EXACT same issues with my 2018 Ram 2500 6.7l. Please let me know if you find an answer. It is quite frustrating.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Alan, I am having the EXACT same issues with my 2018 Ram 2500 6.7l. Please let me know if you find an answer. It is quite frustrating.
Hi William,
We are sorry to hear that you share this concern with your vehicle. Please know that our team is available to you via private messages for assistance alongside a dealer service.

Kathryn
RamCares

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your fuses are are seated, my 2018 I bought used suddenly had the overhead garage door buttons stopped working.
When I checked the fuse it was not in all the way, pushed it in and then I checked the rest of the fuses and about 90% of them had to be pushed on all the way down to set.
I had a check engine light come on about 2 weeks ago, I disconnected the battery and reconnected and all has be good ever since until the garage door opener failed to work a few days ago.
All is good now.

I think they are not installed correctly during manufacture, I read on another forum for 2019 and up trucks this is occurring regularly with the fuses.

Noblesfarms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2018
Engine
My 18 3500, aisin has been in 4 times for transmission wiring harness shorts and service electric brake soon warning. I had to pay $250 deductible for the brake repair even though it’s been in there for the same issue before the 36000 mile limit. Now I’m still getting the warnings and transmission issues when backing up. I’m sick of this. Anyone have the same issues?

Michael M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L ****** Turbo-diesel
Newbie to the forum, but I have the same issue with my '17 3500 6.7L. I had to do a hard brake and right after I started getting the "Service Anti-lock Brake System" error. It is very intermittent, cycles on and off then stays off. Most annoying is the chime that goes off when it goes into "fault" mode. Looks like it will have to go into the dealer but I don't think it's anything more than a wheel sensor (fingers crossed).

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Check your fuses are are seated, my 2018 I bought used suddenly had the overhead garage door buttons stopped working.
When I checked the fuse it was not in all the way, pushed it in and then I checked the rest of the fuses and about 90% of them had to be pushed on all the way down to set.
I had a check engine light come on about 2 weeks ago, I disconnected the battery and reconnected and all has be good ever since until the garage door opener failed to work a few days ago.
All is good now.

I think they are not installed correctly during manufacture, I read on another forum for 2019 and up trucks this is occurring regularly with the fuses.

I just went through the same thing, only 99% of my fuses were not seated correctly. The only thing that didn't need a push down were the black circuit breakers.
Took this when I was in the middle pushing them down. They were all unseated.
full

hognuts1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I6
I had the same exact problem with the ABS and traction control light on and have an appointment to take it to the dealer on Friday I'm sure all will be repaired under warranty it's a 2018 2-year-old Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins diesel 4X

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

hognuts1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I6
They had to order a HCU and it won't be here until after the first of the year. Going to drive until then. When I made my appointment , I get there and they tell me even though I have an appointment they won't look at it for a few days. I had to talk with the Service Manager to get it looked at the same day and get the parts ordered. Customers shouldn't have to do that when they have an appointment.

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn’t see this thread when I posted mine. Having the same issue with my 2018 with the 6.4. Took it to the dealer and had them replace the ABS module. Lasted about 24 hours before it started doing it again. Then last night drove 50 miles with no issues.

EDIT: it’s back. SMDH

Last edited:

Fr3622

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m new to the site , I’m have the same problem with my 2018 3500 the module was changed took about a month to get the part the truck worked fine for a week but the problem returned but now it does it on and off my dealer is 100 miles away and they say they don’t have a loner for me to drive really need this fixed.

hognuts1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I6
They had to order a HCU and it won't be here until after the first of the year. Going to drive until then. When I made my appointment , I get there and they tell me even though I have an appointment they won't look at it for a few days. I had to talk with the Service Manager to get it looked at the same day and get the parts ordered. Customers shouldn't have to do that when they have an appointment.

Just picked it up. So far so good. Time will tell.

Quick Farm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like we are in same boat.

2018 - 3500 6.7
19,000 miles
Same two warnings came on when simply driving in our driveway. No bouncing or craziness. I drove it to town today and seemed fine until I was headed home. It lit up and would ding every minute for the first 15 minutes. After that it only dinged when I stopped. Brakes seem to be functioning properly, but don’t trust it. Why has dodge not done something about this??

Thanks for all the advice you have shared. Has anyone had any luck getting dodge to do anything?

Last edited:

David Cordell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 2500 just started this yesterday. Took to dealership. Said module was bad and ordered one. Waiting for it to come in. Both TC and ABS are on permanent right now. All this started after a severe rain storm and driving through water.

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I was just told by my dealer/service dept that I need a new ABS module and HCU on my 2018 Ram 2500 - seems like this problems is common. I filed a complaint with https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index and suggest everyone do this. My truck has 40,000 miles and is just out of warranty. They need $1400 to fix it.
Same problem on my 2017 2500 Diesel 38,000 mi..40 day backorder on the module, found another vendor, same part $70 cheaper ,dealer will install .. $1100 +tax minus the part I bought...this is a common problem that should have been a recall, imo.

Letjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is it possible to have this may people having the same issue and ram does nothing about it? I have a 2018 had this problem at about 12000 miles. Now I’m at 50,000 out of warranty and am in North Carolina with the same issue. Tomorrow I have a 12 hour ride home and I’m not going to enjoy the ride with that thing going on and off all day. I left Ford to come over to ram and I am now questioning my decision.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I had the issue also.... luckily it was covered. Very frustrating stuff, this is my 3rd ram.... Its a love & hate relationship, I think most vehicles have some sort of issues......

tanyer134

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
We have the same issue with our ‘18 2500 Cummins. Intermittent ABS Traction Control warning and Cruise Control stops working. Also screen delaminating so nothing works on it. Going to start looking to trade it. This is so annoying on such a fairly new truck.

MacAttack65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this on my 2018 Ram 3500 back in January 2020. Dealer replaced ABS pump and module and it worked good up until last month when I braked hard while towing my camper. It comes on intermittently now. Unfortunately repair is out of warranty so I will have to eat this one. The ABS module appears to be a weak link in the braking system.