2019 Rebel - 1 month review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mk61hacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up Granite Crystal Rebel crew cab about a month ago. Have only 600 miles on it (not a daily driver - mostly for getting in and out my boats out of the water in marina). All the options except for Rebel 12 (MSRP $60K). Only mods are bed rug, Bakflip NX4 and Carven Progressive Catback exhaust.

Overall - I'm very happy with the truck, would buy again in a heartbeat. Here's few issues I've had so far:
- CarPlay glitched once when I connected locked iPhone. Had to reset CarPlay again.
- Passenger door on driver side had unfastened door panel. Door panel was just separated from the metal frame with 3/4in gap. Had to press and engage fasteners. Kind of ridiculous - but I guess something to expect from 1st year production American car...
- Mileage is nowhere near advertized numbers but for 600 miles I'll reserve my judgement yet.
- There's clanking metal-to-metal sound from behind back seats when turning. Something to fix when I get to the dealer.
- 7-pin tow connector is loose in the rear bumper.
- Carven catback has a clear and well defined drone at 45mph and above. It's not overbearing but something to keep in mind (not RAM related but nonetheless).
- Tailgate needs to be shut forcefully to avoid ajar warning light (sensor needs adjustment).
- 5.7 HEMI is definitely on the low-end for such truck. Dynamics are merely adequate.

So yeah, after owning nothing but MB and BMW for the last 20 years this list is a bit disconcerting (and I'm sure it will grow yet). However, while my 5-siries and GLSs all had impeccable built quality they were too clinical and lacked any personality or character (especially BMW). Rebel, on the other hand, brings smile every time I cold-start with those Carven 5in tips rasping :)

Another awesome surprise is how nice and compliant the ride is! It's not as planted as my GLS550 (unibody, sport tuned german autobahn barge). Rebel is a bit more bouncy but in the same time more plush, hush and comfortable than GLS550 over anything other than the freshly laid asphalt. For small errands I'm now always picking up Rebel...

Last edited:

TommmyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I had a 2018 Audi Q7 before my 2019 Rebel. I have 3400 miles on mine and have had no need to take it to the dealer for any repairs.
Honestly, I would say fit and finish on the Rebel is on par with my Audi.
Paint quality is really impressive on the Rebel. The sub commercial paint jobs some of these car manufactures are laying down are horrible. Honda is the worse! Thin and orange peeled.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
I was reading that peeps are having a hard time getting close to the sticker MPG, but the MPG picks up a little after some miles put on them.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I have had MY 19 Bighorn since August 1, and on highway I get 20-22 if I keep cruise on. City 13-19.. I have been fortunate, no big issues with truck. But IMHO, If U buy a truck, it's a truck, PPL need to quit thinking it is gonna get 30 mpg, Just not gonna happen on a Hemi of Pennstar.

But all IMHO............

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I have had MY 19 Bighorn since August 1, and on highway I get 20-22 if I keep cruise on. City 13-19.. I have been fortunate, no big issues with truck. But IMHO, If U buy a truck, it's a truck, PPL need to quit thinking it is gonna get 30 mpg, Just not gonna happen on a Hemi of Pennstar.

But all IMHO............

I think the reason we see so many MPG posts about the new Ram is that the new Ram has made people make the move from cars to trucks as they are really nice and the interior is more car-like. People who have had trucks, know that trucks are in their own class when it comes to MPG. People who are coming from cars don't understand that a tested sticker MPG on a truck is not as consistent as a car as trucks have so many variables with equipment and loads.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been driving trucks since 02, would not own ne thing else or pay unless given to me.

TROUT: U R pretty close to head on. Folks just do not understand, but that is my thinking, skerry.

OP
OP
mk61hacker

mk61hacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trucks are rapidly becoming new minivans... Family movers with a great utility for hauling and towing. RAM is on the right marketing track: wanna sell more trucks - make sure women want to buy it! Hence the creature comfort, self-parking, 360 camera, USB/C everywhere, everything heated & ventilated, etc. etc.

As far as MPG - I'm getting 13.5 MPG on a mixed highway/city driving. Not cool - but I'll wait.

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So yeah, after owning nothing but MB and BMW for the last 20 years this list is a bit disconcerting (and I'm sure it will grow yet). However, while my 5-siries and GLSs all had impeccable built quality they were too clinical and lacked any personality or character (especially BMW). .

We had a 2017 BMW 540i and that "impeccable build quality" goes right out the window when the car starts having a dashboard seizure from all the electrical bells and whistles having code errors. In the first three days we had more issues than I've ever had in a car.

*Side note: dude you need at least 3,000 miles on that engine before you start seeing decent mileage. Also switching over to a higher-end synthetic oil and a micro-glass filter are a must. I'm at 17-18 mpg mixed driving at 8,000 miles. Mostly highway driving at 65-70mph.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the mileage until you get 10K miles on it realistically. Also there's winter gas right now since like September which definitely affects mileage. I get like 1.5-2 MPG less on winter gas. Also make sure you're running Top Tier 89 to achieve the best mileage possible. Also I don't know if I would compare a luxury vehicle such as a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc to a pickup truck no matter how nice it is.