2020 3500 6.7 HO speed limited??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonRay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Speed tops at 101-102... anyone know why this is?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Likely because it has a GVWR over 10,001 pounds and is regulated by DOT medium duty operations standards.

My Peterbilt's top out at 85mph but I can't think of a single reason I'd want to take an 80,000 pound rig that fast.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could also get a tuner to eliminate the speed limiter. I would suggest Calibrated Power Solutions Inc at duramaxtuner.com with their EZLYNK tuner. Been super helpful to me and I love their tunes. I use it on my 20 ram 2500. It had an option to raise speed limiter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You could also get a tuner to eliminate the speed limiter. I would suggest Calibrated Power Solutions Inc at duramaxtuner.com with their EZLYNK tuner. Been super helpful to me and I love their tunes. I use it on my 20 ram 2500. It had an option to raise speed limiter.

Not to get into a ******* match, but this is actually awful advice that could cost the OP or anyone dearly, depending on the circumstances.

I get the whole delete / tune scene but never gave it any thought until I sat through a US DOT inspector certification class. The Federal regulatory bodies are going after delete / tune companies and operations with HUGE fines.

If you knowingly modify your vehicle and are out of compliance with FEDERAL EPA regulations, it matters not what your STATE, COUNTY or MUNICIPALITY allows or doesn't inspect.

Raising the speed threshold of any vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more will land you in federal hot water if you are involved in an accident, pulled over and questioned, etc..

Anyway, my $.02...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to get into a ******* match, but this is actually awful advice that could cost the OP or anyone dearly, depending on the circumstances.

I get the whole delete / tune scene but never gave it any thought until I sat through a US DOT inspector certification class. The Federal regulatory bodies are going after delete / tune companies and operations with HUGE fines.

If you knowingly modify your vehicle and are out of compliance with FEDERAL EPA regulations, it matters not what your STATE, COUNTY or MUNICIPALITY allows or doesn't inspect.

Raising the speed threshold of any vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more will land you in federal hot water if you are involved in an accident, pulled over and questioned, etc..

Anyway, my $.02...
Whoa I did not say Delete! I did not delete mine and will not nor do I advise anyone to delete theirs. I just said tuner, which isnt illegal, and if the place is reputable like Calibrated power solutions or banks to name two, then you'll have emissions running where you are completely in compliance with EPA emissions regulations or even better than they suggest.

I wouldnt suggest going that fast either. And I myself have no reason to ever go that fast, unless I do the 200 MPH club in Vegas. But I do love freedom, and freedom of choice so I provided info on how to do it if OP so chooses.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO

Anyway, my $.02...

Probability of getting pulled by a FED LEO is low. The feds are going after the companies marketing those devices, and have already fined a few to scare the remaining. Even Harley-Davidson got fined for it's Screaming Eagle line of -non-EPA "accessories".

Modifying vehicles to be non-EPA compliant has been illegal since the EPA came about. Enforcement just wasn't happening then.

Meanwhile, folks put on non-DOT accessories (blue headlights, mufflers) from parts stores that are much more likely to result in a accident.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Whoa I did not say Delete! I did not delete mine and will not nor do I advise anyone to delete theirs. I just said tuner, which isnt illegal, and if the place is reputable like Calibrated power solutions or banks to name two, then you'll have emissions running where you are completely in compliance with EPA emissions regulations or even better than they suggest.

I wouldnt suggest going that fast either. And I myself have no reason to ever go that fast, unless I do the 200 MPH club in Vegas. But I do love freedom, and freedom of choice so I provided info on how to do it if OP so chooses.

Completely agree with all points.

There are bigger fish to fry at the moment.

With light duty vehicles getting bigger and bigger year over year, the focus is now turning to over-weight and over-loaded non-commercial enforcement.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

I also have that tuner from duramaxtuner.com on my 2020 3500 HO but I didn't see that or any other options. Are you speaking about requesting the option be added to the tune or ?? A great tune & tuner by the way and it retains the emissions system. Heard that they plan on being able to tune the Aisin next year - that would make it even better.
FYI - AlfaOBD has the option to raise the speed limiter.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I can say...the limit is set for tires first and stopping second.

Won't get into the speed limit. It is a free country. Drive how you want and break the laws that you want.

My area here in Central PA has seen a shift from commercial drivers being target of the weights and measures team to the local contractor.

They have learned that the super trucker knows better and they have learned the contractor doesn't get that his GVWR is 6900 and his GCWR is 13900. The contractor hooks and goes. They like to target him now.

I have seen on 3 occasions now...the W&M team lining up 2500s with 5th wheels. And I have come back to see them sitting there... You can not move them til you are under weight.

Another thing has been the registration class. For years people just did the truck. They did the generic for series. But now a 1500 is a class 3 right off the bat. BUT, the big change here is you need to register for GCWR. And that is a lot of money for the 3 times some people go camping.

I believe if you are going down the road looking legal... you got nothing to worry about.

You head down the highway at 102 mph...and I think they might check into all that for ya.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have that tuner from duramaxtuner.com on my 2020 3500 HO but I didn't see that or any other options. Are you speaking about requesting the option be added to the tune or ?? A great tune & tuner by the way and it retains the emissions system. Heard that they plan on being able to tune the Aisin next year - that would make it even better.
FYI - AlfaOBD has the option to raise the speed limiter.
Yoi should be a le to go under vehicle and choose to raise the limiter, I wouldnt suggest it because why do you need to go that fast unless you wanna drag it at the strip. But again I love freedom of choice.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yoi should be a le to go under vehicle and choose to raise the limiter, I wouldnt suggest it because why do you need to go that fast unless you wanna drag it at the strip. But again I love freedom of choice.

I have no desire or need to raise the limiter. I was only posting to ask a question and offer some info.

While I'm at it again, above it was said these trucks were not equipped to run at high speeds. I have to disagree. I have run, with the other vehicles on the freeway, in the 90+ mph. My truck was just loafing and handling/riding better than any car I've been in at 90+mpg. And it has much larger and better brakes as well.

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I think it is being forgotten that the HO is rated to tow over 35k. They have to do something or people will be towing all that at 150mph too.

:flamingdevil:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What’s the weakest link that the speed limiter is protecting?

Tires? Rear diff components? Driveshaft? U-joints? Transmission?

Interesting things happen when you push a rotating component over its maximum rpm....

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
What’s the weakest link that the speed limiter is protecting?

Tires? Rear diff components? Driveshaft? U-joints? Transmission?

Interesting things happen when you push a rotating component over its maximum rpm....

Honestly, the distracted driver is the weak link.