2020 3500 6.7 HO speed limited??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, I'm waiting on the 2021 model with the afterburners. I want to run jet fuel.
I kid you not, I've ran jet fuel, JP-8 in a 3/4 ton diesel truck. Ran like a champ. It's just diesel but not ULSD with some additives in it to protect against a multitude of things. The truck loved it. Not gonna give all details on how, when or why but I got it and used it no problem

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I can say...the limit is set for tires first and stopping second.

Won't get into the speed limit. It is a free country. Drive how you want and break the laws that you want.

My area here in Central PA has seen a shift from commercial drivers being target of the weights and measures team to the local contractor.

They have learned that the super trucker knows better and they have learned the contractor doesn't get that his GVWR is 6900 and his GCWR is 13900. The contractor hooks and goes. They like to target him now.

I have seen on 3 occasions now...the W&M team lining up 2500s with 5th wheels. And I have come back to see them sitting there... You can not move them til you are under weight.

Another thing has been the registration class. For years people just did the truck. They did the generic for series. But now a 1500 is a class 3 right off the bat. BUT, the big change here is you need to register for GCWR. And that is a lot of money for the 3 times some people go camping.

I believe if you are going down the road looking legal... you got nothing to worry about.

You head down the highway at 102 mph...and I think they might check into all that for ya.

To the OP's question, I highly doubt the W&M team is going to hook up to his OBD port and see the speed limiter has been changed.

As to overloaded light trucks, the ones full of cement bags and the rear bumper almost dragging from the tongue weight need some "educatin'".

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Some of the newer weigh stations have high speed scales for light / medium duty traffic.

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To protect stupid people from doing stupid things probably.

I haven't topped out my 3500 DRW w/HO 6.7 and honestly don't ever intend to. Most people buy these for towing capacity and not speed anyway! But, funny story, I had a 1990 RX7 Turbo that I bought new and asked the dealer why the cruise control only held at 105 when the speedo went to 160. He gave me some probably BS line about hitting on all three sides of the rotor. Then he told me that even if that wasn't the case, he was NOT going to send a mechanic to test it!

Six8888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reason not to do it: Voids warranty. I also believe in freedom of choice so after warranty I will tune it out and change suspension and tires to handle higher speeds.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
They rate truck tires at full load capacity.

My Nittos are S rated which is 112mph, but I’ve heard ;) they’re Cadillac stable at a V.

Known smooth back road with no forward traffic, letter rip-tater-chip. You paid $80 grand to discover capabilities.

Last edited:

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're all aware that some interstates have speeds of 80 and 85 mph right? New mexico to Texas easy example. There is also multiple states that have discussed no speed limit areas, and higher than 85 limits. Its easy to do 100 with that traffic and lets face reality, a Honda civic will fall apart before the truck does. He asked a simple question and its pages of arguing when the answer was posted almost immediately, get a tuner. Sheesh.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Stay on topic sweat pea.

Some of us remember rivers burning. Rivers so polluted that if you fell in, you went to the hospital for treatment.
That guy's a spammer that woke up and got active this morning on a few threads.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Momma taught me that one.

But my momma didn't tell me how much fun it would be!!! ;) ;)

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Let's hope we can get rid of such garbage. This type of content can corrupt the political debate in this country and has ABSOLUTELY no room in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed. Mods, how 'bout it?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
They rate truck tires at full load capacity.

My Nittos are S rated which is 112mph, but I’ve heard ;) they’re Cadillac stable at a V.

Known smooth back road with no forward traffic, letter rip-tater-chip. You paid $80 grand to discover capabilities.

All my previous Dodge / Rams gas or diesel were limited at or about 112, which is probably not a coincidence. Some years back GM and then Ford started listening to the nannies and limiting all or most of their trucks to 99 or thereabouts. I first saw it in a 99 Chevy. Prior Ram was a 2011 diesel and it was still good for 112. The 2019 is stonewalled at 100; whether that’s specific to the tires or across the board now for FCA I don’t know.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The 2019 is stonewalled at 100; whether that’s specific to the tires or across the board now for FCA I don’t know.
Some of the speed limiting has to due with the vehicle able to handle the speed. Even with a 1500 your looking at about a 6K lbs vehicle with the aerodynamics of a cinder block. At 100 mph your covering a football field in 2 seconds or less time than it takes to read this. Trying to stop that cinder block that's nose heavy to boot will take close to 200'
A lot of people think they know how to drive fast, sadly they find out they're wrong as the vehicle goes flying out of control.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of people are compelled to offer unsolicited opinions. That’s the nature of forums. As a matter of fact the PW is equipped with Q rated tires so the restriction for that particular configuration makes rational sense.

I’m only interested in the technical aspects raised by the OP regarding the capabilities of his vehicle. Not at all in discussing the merits of compulsory limits on individual choice. There’s plenty of forums to chew on that.

It’s an interesting theory to ask if a current generation truck is built to a lower speed capability than previous generations where the limits were higher or even non existent. I don’t think so, but if someone has information on that, I’m willing to hear it.

If all you have to offer is a “cancel culture” perspective that this is a forbidden topic of discussion then sorry, but I’m not on board with that.