Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Ram 3500 shaking while driving freeway speed

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Paulos G, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Paulos G

Paulos G Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2020 Ram 1500 Warlock
    Engine:
    V-6 3.6 Liter 24-Valve
    Has anyone had any problems driving their 2020 Ram 3500 Tradesman on freeways ? The work vehicle we just acquired of this type shakes while we go over 70mph and shakes violently while we make a wide turn on a turn off from one freeway to another. I took the vehicle to have fixed and the dealership service said it was a the tires that were out of balance. They re-balanced the tires days later and I drove it back to work on mostly freeways; the roads are mostly smooth but there are some grooves on the road and when I drove over it the vehicle shakes still. I called the dealership service back because what I experienced driving on freeways there is a noticeable uncomfortable shaking after going 70mph.

Do you all think its the shock absorbers or other mechanical connections to the wheels they need to check?

2. MADDOG

MADDOG Cummins Driver Administrator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    I suspect it is still the tire & wheel combo. Get the tires Road Force balanced. I did mine and the shake went away.

3. Elkman

Elkman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    V6
    This is when you start the Lemon Law process by documenting everything. It is also why before I accept delivery for a new truck I do a full test drive. If there are any issues I make the dealer fix them before it legally becomes my truck and my headache.

A speed related problem like that described is more likely to be an imbalanced drive shaft or bad CV joint on a vehicle. The drive shaft(s) need to be removed to be checked for balance and then a weight is welded on to fix the problem and get it in balance.

4. Firetruck41

Firetruck41 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
    Most likely tires. Road force balanced might help. Sometimes tires are just bad too, if it's the tire themselves, the tire manufacturer warranty should help.

5. Jimmitch

Jimmitch Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I had the same thing happen on my new 2019 ram 1500 classic standard cab 5,7 engine. first issue was one bad rear shock. I replaced all four shocks with Bilstiens. Second problem was a bad tire that would not pass the road force test. I had to get a new tire. Drives and handles like a new truck should now. Smooth up to the dollar mark.