2021 Power Wagon Fuel Tank Stuck At 3/4 Fill Up.Will NOT Fill Up Beyond 3/4 Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello,

Have a 2021 Power Wagon. The day I brought it home, it had a full tank of gas. Since then, every single fill up, nets me 3/4 tank only. For the life of me, I cannot get it to fill up all the way. I've tried different gas stations, I've tried holding the fuel pump in different directions, angles, to get it to vent. Apparently if it pressurizes too much, the truck will think it is full. So I try to vent it and tilt the pump, and no matter what I do, I can never fill up all the way to full. It always stops right at 20 gallons, which is 3/4 tank. It is a 31 gallon tank if I'm not mistaken, I should be able to get more out of it! It sucks because I have to be fueling up every 5 days in this thirsty beast.

I already brought it up to the dealer's attention, they wanted to keep my truck for 2 weeks just to diagnose it. Then another 2 weeks to fix it. That's insane, to leave my truck for a month or more at the dealership, that's ridiculous. Not to mention, it is an expensive truck, and I pay good money for it every month, and they'd be able to only get me a regular car. Maybe a truck, but that's not guaranteed. And if so, it would be some entry level Ram 1500 single cab. Just really annoying to deal with since I just bought the truck in June of this year.

Anyone else have this same issue? What did you do to remedy it?

Mallcrwlr3000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on 40s, so take it with a grain of salt, but my truck hits just under a quarter tank and it says it has 50 miles left until empty. I have yet to put more than 25 gallons in it after it says it's thirsty. I have a mystery 6 gallons that always stay in my tank somehow. I just chalk it up to a Power Wagon thing.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you running it down to empty, as in the low gas light at least comes on?

I think the most I have ever put in my tank is about 26 gallons, and that is running it waaaaaay past the initial gas light.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
" I should be able to get more out of it! It sucks because I have to be fueling up every 5 days in this thirsty beast."

"Anyone else have this same issue? What did you do to remedy it?"
Yes, with the low fuel warning light it usually takes under 25 gallons when I get fuel.

Remedy...In California the Power Wagon can be fueled up daily with a gas delivery service...

8EDB7B4B-1550-4D91-AEF67F60C6C44E20_source.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I carried fuel and ran mine down to "0" miles remaining to test it out. Even then, I could only put 28 gallons in it so either than last 3 gallons or so are not useable or the gauge is leaving contingency there.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The gauge and the zero miles to go as well as the warning light ALL have contingency, and they do on every vehicle. My car will go easily 150KLM after the EVC say zero and the warning light comes on. Only way to know for sure is to run till she quits completely. That will tell you how many miles of contingency you actually have.

As far as the OPs original problem, you need to go see a different dealer. This is a straight warranty issue, no reason it should take two weeks to diagnose. Either the guage is not readiong right or you have plumbing issues. If it needs a new tank and piping, order it in, bring truck back when it is there. It is a two hour job to install.

HW285PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, I have a 2020 wagon and it happens to me. I crawled under the truck and fiddled with the little vent valve that’s just past the fuel filler on the vent line and it started taking fuel again. It seems like the vent sticks when it gets caked with mud, ice or any sort of dust.

OP
OP
A

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you running it down to empty, as in the low gas light at least comes on?

I think the most I have ever put in my tank is about 26 gallons, and that is running it waaaaaay past the initial gas light.
Running it all the way down to E, red light on, and about 15 miles estimated remaining on the tank before I fuel up. It doesn't matter though at what point I fuel up, it can be half way, 1/4 way, or below 1/4 into Empty, it'll always fill and stop right at 20 gallons at the pump, and 3/4 full in my truck.

OP
OP
A

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, with the low fuel warning light it usually takes under 25 gallons when I get fuel.

Remedy...In California the Power Wagon can be fueled up daily with a gas delivery service...

View attachment 473805
I get that some fuel will be in the tank still when I get the "low fuel light" but what I'm also saying is, no matter how many gallons I fuel up, the fuel gauge will only read 3/4 full. It never goes to FULL. Always stops at 3/4 full and won't let me pump more than 20 gallons of fuel, even when the gauge is on E

OP
OP
A

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, I have a 2020 wagon and it happens to me. I crawled under the truck and fiddled with the little vent valve that’s just past the fuel filler on the vent line and it started taking fuel again. It seems like the vent sticks when it gets caked with mud, ice or any sort of dust.
Good to know I'm not the only Power Wagon with the issue. I read on forums that several Challengers had this issue, and on this forum was looking at someone post about this issue too with their 1500 Rebel. Something about the filler neck bend in the 5th gens that is causing the issue, especially in the West Coast where they have some funky designed fuel pump with a filter of some sort that gets in the way. I am in the West Coast, Commiefornia to be exact.

I'll go down there and inspect the tank and vent line to see if I can fiddle with the vent valve like you say. This issue is really effin annoying on a brand new truck. I have to be lugging around extra rotopax cans when deep in the desert away from civilization because I am always short 1/4 tank of gas due to this issue alone.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Always stops at 3/4 full and won't let me pump more than 20 gallons of fuel, even when the gauge is on E
Since it stops at exactly 20 gallons, it sounds like there is a limit at the pump or on your credit card. My gas card will stop the pump at $100. If the tank is not full, then I have to start another transaction to completely fill the tank. Have you tried multiple transactions, or go to another station immediately after the fill up? On the 31 gallon tank, 3/4 of a tank would be ~23.25 gallons, so you're not far off at 20 gallons.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I get that some fuel will be in the tank still when I get the "low fuel light" but what I'm also saying is, no matter how many gallons I fuel up, the fuel gauge will only read 3/4 full. It never goes to FULL. Always stops at 3/4 full and won't let me pump more than 20 gallons of fuel, even when the gauge is on E
Don't put all your trust in the fuel gauge as being correct when it reads at 3/4 full. Many boats and pickups that I've driven have had inaccurate fuel gauges. The helicopter death of pilot Francis Gary Powers comes to mind. The mechanic fixed his previously faulty gauge without the pilot's knowledge.

Last edited:

Mallcrwlr3000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in the day that might have been fixed with a little tappy tap.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it is frustrating reading the replies and it is not even my truck I am sure the OP is like WTF lol. To OP contact @RamCares and have them contact your dealer. This is not right and should be fixed. Probably something simple as the anit syphon ball messing up.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
good luck with your truck, like others have suggested I would either have a talk with someone at the dealer about the month service?? Or find another place to deal with that can help in a reasonable time frame.

shift_dad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a mystery fuel fill up issue pop up one time. I was to the point of ordering a new tank when an old guy with new advice told me to take the filler tube off and rebuild it. Sure enough there was a short piece of hose stuck way down the filler tube from someone trying to syphon gas out! It was causing all sorts of vapor lock.

Edit: oh yeah! The cheap $27 locking gas cap started throwing codes haha. It took an $80 Mopar locking cap to keep from coding haha.

DavinNotDavid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 PW here, I have not any of those issues. My tank is only 25 gallons though. I’m lucky to fill all the way up without the pump cutting me off at the pump limit. Like someone said, try another dealer. It’s definitely a warranty issue and should be addressed without any wait period at all.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2018 2500 Tradesman that does the same thing only my fuel gauge shows a full tank. It supposed to be 31 gallons amd I have never been able to surpass 26.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 PW here, I have not any of those issues. My tank is only 25 gallons though. I’m lucky to fill all the way up without the pump cutting me off at the pump limit. Like someone said, try another dealer. It’s definitely a warranty issue and should be addressed without any wait period at all.
I would venture to say you have a 31 gallon tank….ive never heard of a 25 in these trucks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Sam, your tank will never take more than 26 gallons
These tanks are built to retain about 4 - 5 gallons to help cool the fuel pump.

20 Gallons of fuel in Ontario California = $90.00 US

I am guessing that is the shut off point for the pump.
Down here closer to the California/Mexico Border, a lot of pumps shut off at $75.00

Last edited: