2021 RAM 1500 TRX - New Transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
As the name says, i was looking on TFLTrucks site earlier today and apparently the center console leaked, and it shows a transmission shifter we haven’t seen in a while (floor shifter). 86a8e4d2b3a059a61c9c193f39efff7c.jpg

The question is, i know the ZF 8HP95 (or any ZF transmissions Chrysler uses) are electronically shifted, not manually like the older RFE series of transmissions. Is it possible chrysler built their own transmission, and is using that, and it’s in production, or is it just a redesigned shifter out of a 2013 Chrysler 300? Just a question.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it will be the same one as what’s in the hellcats, maybe stronger if you tow. It’s supposed to have paddle shifters as well.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Jeep Wranglers have an 8HP variant with a typical console shifter. With electronic shifting they could build a shifter anyway they want to.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plus the 8 speed has been holding up well even with ppl boosting past 800hp. Probably one of the best trans right now.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I see no reason for them to stray from the 8HP transmission; I had 2 trucks with the 8HP70 and now an 8HP75 and it's a great transmission. I like the shifting better than the FoGM 10 speed when I test drove a F150.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yae this 8 speed is what brought me to FCA, I owned the all new 10 speed trans from FoGM in a F-150 nothing but shifting problems.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just because the shift mechanism interface has changed one should not assume that there will be a new transmission as well. It takes a lot of money to develop and manufacture a new transmission and often a couple years to get all the bugs out and have a reliable one.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Just because the shift mechanism interface has changed one should not assume that there will be a new transmission as well. It takes a lot of money to develop and manufacture a new transmission and often a couple years to get all the bugs out and have a reliable one.

It’s a assumption because this has never been done before with the ZF, especially from Chrysler. Only thing even remotely similar is the pre facelift 300s gear shift, but even that was a reach.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The loaner charger and challenger I have driven both have the 8 speeds with a center console shifter like the one pictured. It’s still all electronic. Oddly I don’t care for it. It takes up a lot of space in the center console. I have no space for my phone or my arm even due to the shifter

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The loaner charger and challenger I have driven both have the 8 speeds with a center console shifter like the one pictured. It’s still all electronic. Oddly I don’t care for it. It takes up a lot of space in the center console. I have no space for my phone or my arm even due to the shifter

Yes, but the thing is with that shifter is that it’s more of a rocker arm type shifter. Doesn’t actually move, you just rock it to whatever gear and it goes into it. At least that’s what i’ve seen it do anyways. Thing with the picture i sent above is that to me it looks like there’s more room, which would make me think either they’re using a ZF 8HP with mechanical shifting rather than electrical or it’s a new transmission. I’d much rather see it in the flesh, or at-least see better pictures, before coming to a solid conclusion. Plus, if it is just a rebadged Charger shifter, i can see it being something people add on to the 5th gen in general as some people much rather have a console rather than a dash shifter.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As the name says, i was looking on TFLTrucks site earlier today and apparently the center console leaked, and it shows a transmission shifter we haven’t seen in a while (floor shifter). 86a8e4d2b3a059a61c9c193f39efff7c.jpg

The question is, i know the ZF 8HP95 (or any ZF transmissions Chrysler uses) are electronically shifted, not manually like the older RFE series of transmissions. Is it possible chrysler built their own transmission, and is using that, and it’s in production, or is it just a redesigned shifter out of a 2013 Chrysler 300? Just a question.

It’ll be electronic like the chargers, challengers, grand Cherokees, Cherokees, etc. I’m not even concerned about the TRX, but what grabs my attention from that pic is it reveals a feature that should be implemented across all models coming up- trailer steer. As usual, playing catch-up with Ford.