2021 trailer back up assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gillable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco Diesel
I am not finding any information on forums or web to describe how the Ram trailer back up assist works. I owned fords with this feature and when it worked, it was great. It required a sticker on the trailer and calibration. I now on on my 3rd Ram and miss this feature for tight solo backups. I am considering replacing my truck with a 21 Ram to regain this feature. I have only heard that a sticker is not required, it "sees" the trailer. Dealer did not know how. Question- does it use the 3rd brake light camera (so a canopy will block the view?) If anyone has any knowledge of it, would be appreciated.

OP
OP
G

Gillable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco Diesel
yes, and i have called several dealers who all did not know. I think I found my answer though from a dealer in another state who says it is required, so to answer my question - you can NOT have a canopy installed with the trailer back up. Too bad.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Back in the day (2020) we had to learn to back up our trailers without all that fancy stuff!
People don't even use the sideview mirrors when driving forward, so why would you expect them to use them in reverse? :-(
It's scary when you have people crying about the rear seat headrests blocking their view in there pickup truck.

JeffN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in the day (2020) we had to learn to back up our trailers without all that fancy stuff!

I have a 28’ enclosed trailer and when I am backing into an angle the rear corners are impossible to see from the driver seat, depending on the direction of turn. The amount of trailer behind the rear axles is quite a bit and when you are making small corrections the rear corners can swing a lot. Having a rear camera would be a priceless option, IMO.

OP
OP
G

Gillable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco Diesel
I ended up trading my 2020 in for the 2021 yesterday to get this feature. Really nice package and it comes with sensors for the trailer tires that interface with the TPMS system. You have to calibrate it in a short drive forward and make two 90 degree turns, but cameras seems better than the Ford sticker solution.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 28’ enclosed trailer and when I am backing into an angle the rear corners are impossible to see from the driver seat, depending on the direction of turn. The amount of trailer behind the rear axles is quite a bit and when you are making small corrections the rear corners can swing a lot. Having a rear camera would be a priceless option, IMO.

Backup cameras for trailers are fairly cheap. Wireless with the receiver in the truck. Wire into clearance light circuit at the trailer and whenever needed you just turn on the light switch.

OP
OP
G

Gillable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco Diesel
I already have the back up camera on my trailer. It helps see where i am going. Back up assist is to help with steering direction and amount. I find it much faster.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am not finding any information on forums or web to describe how the Ram trailer back up assist works. I owned fords with this feature and when it worked, it was great. It required a sticker on the trailer and calibration. I now on on my 3rd Ram and miss this feature for tight solo backups. I am considering replacing my truck with a 21 Ram to regain this feature. I have only heard that a sticker is not required, it "sees" the trailer. Dealer did not know how. Question- does it use the 3rd brake light camera (so a canopy will block the view?) If anyone has any knowledge of it, would be appreciated.
I7Cet2K.jpg

JeffN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have been looking at them on Amazon. Doyou have any recommendations?

Backup cameras for trailers are fairly cheap. Wireless with the receiver in the truck. Wire into clearance light circuit at the trailer and whenever needed you just turn on the light switch.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i have been looking at them on Amazon. Doyou have any recommendations?

I bought a furrion. They are the cadillacs of cameras but expensive. They sell cheaper ones now that seem to work well. When I installed it I drove the pickup about 250' away with the receiver and it worked great.