2022 New HD's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have been on the FCA truck builder site at least once a week trying different combos. I plan to order one once the new tranny comes out. So yesterday, I start to build one & they now show that you can build a 2022 now. I thought woo hoo here we go! Nope!!! No new tranny yet! They offer a couple different packages than they did before but most everything is the same except for the price. Equipped out like I had it last week will run me almost another $1,000! Inflation baby... thank you Joe! I hope if & when they come out with the new tranny that the price doesn't inflate a bunch more.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
By most accounts, the new cab, etc. have been pushed back a long ways. They better roll out a new trans for the CTD soon if they want to stay relevant. The Aisin is tough and durable, but is way, way behind in refinement. Hope they wake up.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, any major update is most likely years out. You are looking at 2025-27 time frame from every (mostly reliable) source I have seen.

You have been able to build and order a 22 for months now, just not on the web site. I believe that is because of the shortages they keep having to "tweak" the packages so much easier to not have to change the consumer web site constantly.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Looks like it would be $2k higher MSRP for the same toys my 21 has. $2k more for uconnect 5, I’ll pass. Not to mention, no real incentives, etc. The difference is much more, when that is factored in.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
What is the major slowdown on getting the 1500 cab on the HD's? I want the extra rear legroom, and, the trans tunnel intrusion into the passenger floorboard needs to be significantly smaller on the current HD. A megacab accomplishes one of these, but I prefer the lower height of the folding seats in the crew cab rather than the higher platform in the mega for my dog.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Call me old fashion but I do not like the new 1500 cab "looks". Sounds like it is over all better for updates & room, but I think it almost looks too pretty. Like a Chevy. I like the meaner/semi truck look than the fancy refined look. I just want the new transmission/Cummins combo. First they said mid year, then 3rd quarter, & now well... who knows?

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I did the build tool the other night to see how much the Cost had changed on my 20 model. Mine went from 85k you now 91k. OUCH. I was not aware of the aisin possibly going away, just rumors of hear say

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Call me old fashion but I do not like the new 1500 cab "looks". Sounds like it is over all better for updates & room, but I think it almost looks too pretty. Like a Chevy. I like the meaner/semi truck look than the fancy refined look. I just want the new transmission/Cummins combo. First they said mid year, then 3rd quarter, & now well... who knows?
I ***-ume that even when they go to the new cab the HD's will have a different front treatment. The 1/2 tons don't need the enormous grill opening that the Cummins requires to stay cool.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What is the major slowdown on getting the 1500 cab on the HD's? I want the extra rear legroom, and, the trans tunnel intrusion into the passenger floorboard needs to be significantly smaller on the current HD. A megacab accomplishes one of these, but I prefer the lower height of the folding seats in the crew cab rather than the higher platform in the mega for my dog.

Have no idea the exact details but I am sure it has everything to do with the state of the world right now. Huge risk in doing a re-design, re-tooling for all of that and sourcing the parts. Best bet is to buckle down and stick with what you have in place right now until things change (which doesn't appear will be any time soon).

Some of the "intel" I read/heard was from people that worked in the prototype department at Ram and they are not even testing anything (major) new right now and they are usually a couple years out in front of what will hitting the market. There will be small tweaks but nothing major for several years on the HD trucks. And at that time it will be a overhaul of both the 1/2 ton and HD trucks.

Tons of speculation out there of course but that seemed to be the most reliable and believable that I had seen.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I ***-ume that even when they go to the new cab the HD's will have a different front treatment. The 1/2 tons don't need the enormous grill opening that the Cummins requires to stay cool.
I agree, the cab would only likely include the actual cab- the front quarters and hood would need to remain ginormous for the HD's. I suppose retooling those mounting points and the body mounts takes some time. I wouldn't want an HD with the little 1500 nose even if it was possible.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They already implemented the front and rear “5th gen” updates several years ago. Those likely would not change much at all when/if they do put the new cab on there.

I do understand that there would be a lot of work involved to get the hd’s set up with the new cab. But my gosh, they already have the damn cab and they already have the equipment to do it to the half tons…how difficult could it be?

While I do like the aesthetics of the new cab, I dont care much for the smaller wheel well openings. 37’s fit perfectly in the current wheel openings….not so much with the new design.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, the cab would only likely include the actual cab- the front quarters and hood would need to remain ginormous for the HD's. I suppose retooling those mounting points and the body mounts takes some time. I wouldn't want an HD with the little 1500 nose even if it was possible.

In the past all the body panels were the same between the half tons and the hd’s, just a different front end. I wouldnt be surprised if they were the same again.

Maybe they will do what ford has done for years, and actually make a completely different body between the half tons and hd’s. Who knows.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
The new cab is also 4” longer, it’s kind of a mini Mega Cab. They would need to do some tweaking of the current set up to squeeze it in there. I had a new 5th gen 1500, and although I liked it very much, I still prefer the look of the 4th gen cab

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
NH Ram, what bug shield are you running? It looks good

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2022 has never been the year of the 5th gen HD and new trans. Never.

We KNEW the 5th gen would come out in ‘19 as a ‘20, same cab as 1500. That was pushed back and now we have an updated 4th gen. 23-24 is likely when new cab and trans debut

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really wish they would get that new cab out

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Is this the "new trans" where they talked about an Allison 10 speed, but it turned out it's not the Allison Allison (as in 1000 World Series), but some Chinese knockoff?

There were some posts about this in another thread.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No. There is no 10 speed Allison. The Allison talked about for Ram is a 9 speed, Allison-designed and Allison-built.

The 10 speed “Allison” in the GM trucks is a GM- and Ford-designed, GM-built unit. GM and Ford jointly developed it, but each makes their own. Parts are not interchangeable between GM and Ford version; whether that means nothing at all or parts, I don’t know. GM merely pays Allison to put their name on it, Allison had no part of its development.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, that's certainly a kluge!

RCSB88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So when Ford and GM are R&Ding for their trucks what is Exactly is Ram doing? This R&D is baked into the price of these trucks and Ram buyers are paying for what doesn’t exist.