2022 Power Wagon 8-speed Tranny not warming up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2022 Power Wagon with approximately 10,000 MI and obviously the ZF 8 speed. Normal operating temperature for this transmission is 167 Fahrenheit according to the gauge.
The last three times I've driven it, it has taken up to an hour of City driving to get to even 150 Fahrenheit.
To give a little more information yesterday I had to drive to a doctor's appointment on the other side of town, I let the truck idle for about 5 minutes to clear off the windows before the wife and I got in. The outside temperature this entire trip was between 34 f to 40 f. There is a freeway that takes me 3/4 of the way to this doctor's office it is at 65 mph. I drove on that for 30 minutes according to Google Maps and then 12 minutes of City driving. I don't have total mileage just time, by the time I reached the doctor's office the transmission was still at 140 Fahrenheit according to the electronic Gage.
We bring the doctor's office for approximately an hour. When I got back in it cooled down to 135 only, and then the route Google took me to my next stop was another 25 minutes of City Driving complete stop and go by the time I got to the next stop it got up to 155 Fahrenheit, almost fully warmed up.
It seems like the last three trips that I've driven in the truck it has not gotten up to temp in the time it should have I have no idea why. 3 weeks ago when it was minus 15 Fahrenheit the transmission warmed up to 165 in a 20 minute drive to my local parts store. It seems to be shifting smooth.
Anyone with any ideas?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2022 Power Wagon with approximately 10,000 MI and obviously the ZF 8 speed. Normal operating temperature for this transmission is 167 Fahrenheit according to the gauge.
The last three times I've driven it, it has taken up to an hour of City driving to get to even 150 Fahrenheit.
To give a little more information yesterday I had to drive to a doctor's appointment on the other side of town, I let the truck idle for about 5 minutes to clear off the windows before the wife and I got in. The outside temperature this entire trip was between 34 f to 40 f. There is a freeway that takes me 3/4 of the way to this doctor's office it is at 65 mph. I drove on that for 30 minutes according to Google Maps and then 12 minutes of City driving. I don't have total mileage just time, by the time I reached the doctor's office the transmission was still at 140 Fahrenheit according to the electronic Gage.
We bring the doctor's office for approximately an hour. When I got back in it cooled down to 135 only, and then the route Google took me to my next stop was another 25 minutes of City Driving complete stop and go by the time I got to the next stop it got up to 155 Fahrenheit, almost fully warmed up.
It seems like the last three trips that I've driven in the truck it has not gotten up to temp in the time it should have I have no idea why. 3 weeks ago when it was minus 15 Fahrenheit the transmission warmed up to 165 in a 20 minute drive to my local parts store. It seems to be shifting smooth.
Anyone with any ideas?
The HD 2500's don't have the transmission heater like the 1500's have,and that's about par for their operating temps from everything i've read on them.The wifes 6.4 Challenger doesn't have the heater either,and i can leave Airdrie on a cool 40F day,run at 120km's on the QE2 and it'll be almost at Red Deer before it hits 150F.Crapppy pics,but this is a run over to Drum last fall where i was only cruising at 85/90 clics on the back roads and it didn't get over 111F.I was driving it pretty easy as it pulled down over 31 mpg on the trip,so i was pretty light on the pedal

Attachments

• IMG_4285 (2).JPG
    IMG_4285 (2).JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN5367.JPG
    DSCN5367.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 10

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They might not have a heater per se but they still have a thermostat and bypass. Where the the fluid will bypass the trans cooler til it hits a certain temp and then the thermostat in the bypass block opens and allows the fluid to flow through the trans cooler. It usually takes my 16 a good hour now because of the colder temps of constant driving before it hits 168 which is what mine stays at once it's warmed up. In the summer 70-90 degree weather it still takes a little over a half an hour.

Alot of HD guys go with an aftermarket bypass that gets rid of the thermostat so the fluid always go through the cooler and trans temps stay cooler. I will more then likely be do it to mine come spring. Winter now and don't drive the truck on long enough trips for the trans to even warm up.

OP
OP
Dannycameo

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The HD 2500's don't have the transmission heater like the 1500's have,and that's about par for their operating temps from everything i've read on them.The wifes 6.4 Challenger doesn't have the heater either,and i can leave Airdrie on a cool 40F day,run at 120km's on the QE2 and it'll be almost at Red Deer before it hits 150F.Crapppy pics,but this is a run over to Drum last fall where i was only cruising at 85/90 clics on the back roads and it didn't get over 111F.I was driving it pretty easy as it pulled down over 31 mpg on the trip,so i was pretty light on the pedal
I hear you, I'm just up the road QE2 in Edmonton.
I've had second gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen and 5th gen 5.7l, in a multitude of cars and trucks over the years.
Just never had a tranny that took this long to warm up. Appreciate the info.
The only guys I know with the 2500 5th gen are guys with the diesel not gassers.
This is my first winter with it so just getting used to these numbers thanks again for the info. Take care

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 8HP70 swapped into my 09' and it never gets above 150F even after driving it for like 3 hours. I have an inline Thermostat to put in it, but have not done so yet. I hear these things like to run between 165-185 to shift perfect and run smooth. I can say that when cold Mine shifts like crap unless you are on it or WOT.